Specs:

AMD Graphics Card

Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X

Desktop or Laptop System

Desktop

Operating System

Windows 7 64bit SP1

Driver version installed

Crimson Edition 16.5.1 Hotfix (I think I had this installed, now I have AMD Catalyst 15.11.1 beta 64bit)

Display Devices

Dell U2312HM DVI 1920x1080 60Hz

Motherboard

Asus M5A97 R2.0

CPU/APU

AMD FX 6300

Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage

Gigabyte Superb E620

RAM

Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB

Issue:

Poor performance in games and other 3D software.

About 2 weeks after the new and amazing Crimson thingy came out I removed all components of Catalyst from PC, restarted PC then downloaded and installed Crimson. Whenever I tried to open its settings, it crashed. Restarted PC several times, the issue remained. I removed it and installed Catalyst which worked like a charm. I was like "Well okay nvm stuff is new they're probably gonna fix it later".

About a week ago, I had to reinstall my OS and I though why not give my good friend Crimson another chance. So I downloaded and installed it and the settings opened that time actually! Fancy new UI and all that. I started up Blade & Soul (it's an about 4 years old MMORPG) because I was curious about the 20% performance increase and also because I wanted to play. Everything looked cool at first, but after entering my first 6 man dungeon that day as soon as the fight started my fps dropped to 4-5 and the screen also randomly froze for seconds making the game unplayable. I thought there's something running in the background causing this drastic fps drop so I didn't really care about it. The next day I started the game up again after a PC restart and I experienced the same issue. When I had Catalyst the fps did not drop under 25 with the same graphics settings even in intense battles.

Later I started tinkering with Unreal 4 Editor liek I did before a few times, and in a small, totally plain map with one low poly character I had a little stutter at times. I thought maybe Crimson doesn't like Unreal games. I ran catzilla (giant cats ftw!) to check if there's a performance difference between the two drivers. With Catalyst installed I got 10273 points in the 720p test but when I ran the same exact test using Crimson I got 6865 points. Crimson sh*t itself at the part when the two cats fired lazers at each other. It kinda explains what happens in BnS, since fps seemed to drop mostly when there were many particle effects displayed at once.

The last Catalyst works fine now so it's not a big deal, but later I might wanna play newer games and those might require up to date VGA drivers. Any help would be appreciated! (:

PS.: I forgot to mention I did not change anything in the driver settings after installing them, so everything was on default. I experimented with Crimson settings (by that I mean I turned everything I could off) but it did not affect the performance at all.

Thank you in advance!

• Re: Crimson stutter issue R9 270X
          amdmatt

Apologies for the problems you've been having, I'd like to help.

It seems like Crimson does not perform very well on your system, so i would like to recommend a clean installation of Windows 7, to rule out any OS related issues affecting your performance. If you follow the steps i outline below, this will hopefully resolve the issue and allow you to install the driver and receive expected levels of performance.

1. Perform a clean installation of Windows 7.

2. Start updating Windows 7 until it is running the latest version with all service packs, critical updates, recommended and optional updates installed. This will take several restarts and updates.

3. Download Crimson 16.5.1 and install it with Admin rights.

4. Restart your system and test.

5. Once you have confirmed that everything works you can start installing other software and applications, such as antivirus, Malwarebytes, etc.

If the above does not resolve your issue, please take a moment to submit a bug report.