4 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2016 9:19 PM by techguy

8370 supports 2133 ram?

ronnie.nsu

I purchased Fx-8370 4.0ghz , ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA and 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 RAM. Motherboard supports 2133mhz (o.c) Ram but will the CPU support it out of the box?

• Re: 8370 supports 2133 ram?
          brucer

your fine...  That is a dual channel board  so you should run a minimum of 2 sticks of memory in their correct dual channel slots for dual channel to function.. Put your memory sticks in the same colored mem slots for best performance, if the slots arent colored use opposing slots, dont put the sticks in side by side, leave a slot between sticks....  Usually I'll run memory thats over specified in a motherboard, like your motherboard supports up to 2133mhz memory, I would use ddr3 2400mhz memory and would just run downclocked at 2133...   Over the years I have had far better luck with memory longevity/stability doing this..

• Re: 8370 supports 2133 ram?
            techguy

The link below shows AMD's official position on FX and other model processors in regards to DRAM capacity and frequency. Your mobo maker also has to support or exceed the capability AMD has built into it's CPU memory controller. DRAM supported frequency varies with the number of DRAM slots on the mobo and how many slots are populated. 1866 MHz. is the highest official supported frequency for the FX CPUs. I have read that the later FX-9000 series CPUs support up to 2400 Mhz. DDR3. When populating all four DRAM slots then single or dual ranked DRAM also limits the supported frequency. In my experience and that of many AMD users, with only two slots populated, (One matched set of 2x 4 GHz. DDR3), 2133 MHz. frequency from properly rated 2133 MHz DRAM, functions without issue. You may need to manually set the DRAM voltage and timings if the DRAM (or mobo) does not support AMD's "AMP" or Intel's "XMP" DRAM "auto" overclocking DRAM modes.

NOTE: DRAM should be bought as a "complete kit" not as individual DIMMs as the DIMM settings usually need to be slowed when not purchasing "as a matched set of DIMMs" for a rated frequency.

It's worth noting however their are minimal gains for CPUs vs. APUs with DDR3 exceeding 1600 MHz. Testing of CPU powered desktops using real applications shows that 1600 MHz. DDR3 DRAM is NOT a system bottleneck. DRAM benchmarks show the potential for higher frequency DRAM not the actual performance experienced with real applications because the DRAM is never saturated 100% of the time in a PC like the DRAM benches use when testing for "potential" performance gain. The GPU section of an APU can benefit from DRAM up to ~2133 GHz. Higher DDR3 frequency DRAM does not produce any tangible system performance gains using real apps.

DDR3 memory frequency guide