0 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2016 3:17 PM by eww34445@gmail.com

R9 380 and Yamaha Receiver incompatible?

eww34445@gmail.com

Hi,

I got a new video card in my PC and when I connect the HDMI to my Yamaha RX-A830 receiver, the audio signal cuts out about once every 5 seconds. There is not a pattern to it, and when it does come through, the audio is clear, not distorted or garbled. The video comes through fine, even when the audio cuts out.

I previously had this set up with a Sapphire Radeon HD6670, which worked fine, then it started when I upgraded to an Asus Radeon R9 380 (STRIX-R9380-DC2OC-2GD5-GAMING). The receiver has the speaker signal lights on it, and when the signal drops, all of the speaker lights go out. 

I did a ton of testing, updating the AMD HD Audio driver with every version I can find, bought new hdmi cables, etc, and they made no change. I have many other devices hooked up to the receiver with HDMI and have no issues. But when I hook up the graphics card straight to an hdmi monitor, I do not get the dropping audio. It seems to only happen through the receiver.

I finally returned the card, thinking it was defective and switched back the original HD6670, which once again worked fine. Then I purchased a Gigibyte Radeon R9 380 (GV-R938G1 GAMING-4GD), and have the same exact issue. Now, I occasionally even have the screen turning green sometimes when streaming video.

After 2 weeks of fussing with this, I don't think there is anything wrong with the receiver, and I also don't think there is anything wrong with the video card. I think they just don't work together. Is there anyone that can confirm or dispel this?

At this point, my only ideas are that there is something about the R9 380 hdmi output that the Yamaha doesn't like, or there is some flaw in the AMD High Definition Audio driver (which I tried 3 version of).

Thanks for any help,

Eric