15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2016 4:29 AM by cankalay

8970m won't work on Windows 10

hupihu

Almost for one year I couldn't fix it. I gave many feedbacks and I didnt get any answer..

I cleaned up with ddu, ccleaner, almost all driver versions, i tried leshcat too. But nothing Works on Windows 10. How is that possible? My laptop Works really well on 8.1 But I want to try forza 6 for example but i cant. gpu-z shows that wheteher i launch gpu Works in 300 mhz and dont even move. it is like this for years. i uninstall Windows drivers too but nothing workss its really sad. can anybody help ? i have 4600+8970m laptop

• Re: 8970m won't work on Windows 10
          amdmatt

Please provide the following information so we can try to help.

INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

d.vine

I have a 8970m as well (in an Alienware M17x R2, 16GB Ram)

It might be a failing power supply, which cannot supply the needed power anymore. Happened to me 2 years ago, took a while till I figured it out, why my 8970m was suddenly throttling back to 300 MHz.

hupihu

i don't think it is the reason. i went back to 8.1 but everything works without problem. I called my laptop's service and they said we contacted with AMD and they said that irs the general issue between w10 and amd.  is that all AMD do, do nothing?

• AMD M290X
              • Laptop System
              • Windows 10 64bit
              • Any Version of AMD Driver.
              • Laptop Display
              • i7 4710mq
              • 8gb

Any game launchs with Intel 4600. i tried everything. leshcat wot work too. or any official driver version of AMD. I downloaded w10 amd driver they wont work too and i stopped w10 updates too but still wont work .it is ashamed

amdmatt

Can you define what you mean by won't work?

Your GPU Has Windows 10 drivers available and should be compatible with our latest Crimson 16.5.2.1 driver.

hupihu

I am back to 8.1 but i can define exactly what happens

Drivers work without problem on 8.1, I just upgraded my system to w10. When i entered games it didnt work on amd gpu. it was always opening  on hd4600. i deleted amd and intel drivers and did fresh latest driver install for both of graphic card and it was still opening in intel. I selected high performance or gaming mode for laptop and i did maximize performance on everything. i added all my games for high performance but it didnt work too. I tried leshcat drivers and it didnt work too.

Weird thing is, When i enter crimson, it was showing " hardware '8970m' disabled". Really it was, i couldnt let it work on w10. I disabled windows drivers too but it didnt work too. i cant find the solution almost 10 months. isnt it weird? i really need a help

amdmatt

It shows as disabled because your laptop display is wired to your Intel GPU, it does not mean the 8970m was disabled.

Did you enable the switchable graphics application monitor to verify that the Intel iGPU was being used?

hupihu

it doesnt show disabled on w8.1 but it shows disabled  on w10. Yes, I checked that out on gpuz too that, intel was working and amd was only on 300 mhz. as far as i remember

amdmatt

To configure an application to use the discrete GPU you need to open Radeon Settings > Preferences > Additional Settings.

In CCC Slim, navigate to Switchable Graphics Application Settings. This area will allow you to select which 3D application uses the Integrated GPU or the High Performance GPU. Add the application to CCC and select High Performance Mode to ensure that the High Performance GPU is used. Note, it is recommend to have the laptop plugged in and Windows configured to High performance mode in the Control Panel > Power options to ensure you get the best possible performance.

Enable the Switchable Graphics Application Monitor to check with GPU is being used for which applications. Enable it, play some games, disable it and then post the screenshot here.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                      hupihu

i am not on w10 right now but i know the answer. i was selecting all apps in high performance and monitoring was showing high performance too. but sadly game was opening in intel.

i know all these basics moves but that card doesnt work on w10. its really disappointed..

amdmatt

What makes you think the game was using the Intel GPU?

If the monitor says it was running on the high performance GPU then it should be, as it monitors which GPU is being used. If the Intel was used, it would say Power Saving for that application.

Have you tried benchmarking the difference between Power Saving and High Performance?

hupihu

gpuz shows that when i open game (for example rocket league) intel works. but amd is stuck in 300mhz and do nothing.

its the same issue. i gave feedback many times to amd but there is no answer. and for a long time it is like that. how cant a gpu work on w10 when it works on w8.1? its really weird..

is there anything techs can do? for example try with teamviewer etc?

hupihu

Beside that, when i install amd driver on w10, at the beginning it says amd install manager failure. even that happens it installs all amd drivers with crimson ui. but it says disabled on crimson . i dont know waht to do

calcal88

Ive been having exactly the same problem with the HD8670m graphics card.

I've been using Heven Benchmark which shows the source of the graphics processing to check and it only ever shows Intel HD Graphics being used.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 3537 and tried every imaginable driver combination including auto detect and from Dell to resolve this but nothing seems to work!!

cankalay

Okay i have the same problem, which i also have a fix. But this fix is temporary and very stupid.

First plug-in a HDMI cable to the laptop, and to some TV. When the screen is split or transfarred what ever to the TV, HD8970M becomes the active GPU for the moment. After that plug off the HDMI cable and run any game you want. They will run on HD8970M. BUT: If you restart the computer, or put it in sleep mode you need to do exact same think after starting it back on. So like for 6 months, every single day, im plugging in my HDMI, plug it off, play games. Repeat.