32 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2016 11:46 PM by brucer

New GPUs Announced from the Green Team

iamthesaga

With the oh so recent announcement of the new line of NVIDIA GPUs, what is everyone's thoughts and feelings about it?  Coming in with some impressive specs and very competitive pricing, do you think Polaris will out match it? With the GTX1080 coming in at $599 and the GTX1070 at $379, how well will AMD's new line compete with them.  I believe there is a perfect product for everyone and these are not for me.  I am anxious to see what will come from AMD.

1070.PNG

1080.PNG

• Re: New GPUs Announced from the Green Team
          william

I think Polaris will be worth it and even if they have the same performance and pricing I would go with Polaris card because as someone who had products from both brands I like AMDs card better.

Not to mention that I want AMD to success and compete against intel and nvidia. The more competition and motivation to push the development of new products the better for end user. And this can only happen if we support AMD.

benman2785

looks like Nvidia is pushing baseclock to the sky to reach high TFLOPS

i think Founders-Edition are factory-sorted chips that take higher clocks or/and spread less heat

just think about it -> Fury x gets 7% less TFLOPS with just 60% base-clock => Fury calcs (again) WAY BETTER than Nvidias new generation, but Nvidia managed to save some power // will be hard work for a new AMD NANO

akariko

AMD built towards the future with DX12 (Mantle) where NVIDIA and even microsoft were lazy. NVIDIA might just take a hit because of it (yes I know, they SAY once again that this time the card will support async.compute). The released specs from the 1080 and 1070 seem sweet, but we have no insight in the benchmarks (which resolutions were used?) and those events are always highly exaggerated. 1080 is better than a Titan X - okay so was the 980ti. Better than 980 sli, but the 980 wasn't such an impressive card. If you would adjust the clockspeed of the 1080 to those of previous cards the performance gain is actually very unimpressive. I have complete faith in AMD, who delivered the first HBM card, who has been investing in DX12 for god knows how long and who is building on 14nm now! The bang for buckness of AMD has always been sweet, and I think it'll be sweeter than ever with Polaris (and Zen!).

The only thing I really hope for is that AMD just blasts NVIDIA away without a doubt. 390 over 970 anyday, a no brainer even, yet the difference isn't quite compelling enough to get rid of bad comparison reviews and silence green team fanboys.

iamthesaga

That is exactly what I was expecting to hear.  I think the AMD Radeon cards are fantastic.  It is exactly why I am working towards getting an AMD card.  I also believe that it was kind of a good thing that NVIDIA came to market first with the new generation of product because now AMD will know exactly what the competition has to offer.  Personally, as of now, I think the R9 380(x) would be great for me.  It would be more than what I need but give me room to grow into it and at a very good price point for what it offers. 

geekavenger

Until independent benchmarks come out it is hard for me to even read numbers published by the chip makers (AMD included, but Nvidia even more so).  They are always honest but with an eye towards trying to put on their best face.  I think one thing that is a good sign is that with the process shrink they were able to push a lot of clock speed on only one 8 PIN power Connector.  I am very eager to see what Polaris has to offer, being slightly smaller @14nm instead of 16nm and after seeing what AMD did with the Nano.

Red Team or Green, 2016 looks like it will be pretty exciting for PC gamers.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    brucer

The Founders edition is basically the reference card..  The only difference is AMD is going to keep their gpu's in the mainstream market.. The secondary manufacturers (evga,msi and such) gpu's will be cheaper than the founders edition gpu's accordign to several guys on youtube, evidently nvidia is changing their business model..

What interests me is Nvidia stated at the press release, the 1070 will run faster than the current titan-x at 1/3rd the power and priced at $380,  if so thats going to wreck the current market, Fury's, Nanos and Fury-x will have to be priced at $300 to just compete, which if the numbers of the 1070 are actually fact, the fury,nano and fury-x will be pretty much obsolete..

I dont think dx12 is going to be all its talked up to be, just look at windows10, its not that impressive, so I dont see dx12 being all that.  Anyway, I bet nvidia isnt left out of dx12, they are a sneaky company and much smarter than that.

siman

That entire press conference seamed vary misleading all they really did was say this is when they are out and its more powerful than a Titan X or 980 in SLI... yeah SLI kills the 2nd GPU performance it doesn't stack evenly. They also didn't state what its more powerful in, DX11, DX12, Vulcan ect... I think since they didn't mention it at all they still cant do async compute, I don't think we will see it till Nvidia's next gen cards. From the looks of it with them open sourcing tech and the 10XX bing aimed at raw performance its an attempt to cover up the async and loss of consoles to AMD. All of this is speculation.

brucer

There is a video on youtube of the gtx1080 running the new Doom beta using Vulcan api...  It starts out frame capped at 60fps then they turn of frame limit and it goes well over 120fps, looks like its on a 27ish inch monitor monitor.

I think they said the gtx1080 was async compute capable, but dont recall them saying much of the gtx1070.

siman

Yes and no they told a little white lie. Pascal is "capable" of async compute like maxwell was. They last minute added a hardware scheduler. It still relies off pre-emption and context switching. You can see Nvidia's white paper over pascal here: Pascal Architecture Whitepaper | NVIDIA. Like I said before that entire press conference was full of "look over here at shiny card not at the facts"... in reality the 1080 is only a little faster than a Fury X... I'm really surprised how many people are falling for it, the pascal cards really underwhelmed for what they are supposed to be.

brucer

If you figure up the specifications of the 1080, it should be 20% flat out faster than the titan-x.  The 1070 should be on par with the titan-x, the msrp of $380 for the 1070 is what I like.

My Fury card doesnt impress me, they are overpriced and lack advertised performance.

siman

There is allot more to "performance" than just looking at cuda cores. Its also about how efficiently you can process the data. Also for a next gen card pascal is quite underwhelming. If you have your sites set on older games then pascal is the card for you but next gen games are going to be AMD's territory at least till Volta comes out. Pascal was just to close to launch for them to try to get async compute working. Its going to have to come down to redesigning the architecture. AMD's polaris should be a vary competitive card amd is on the 14nm node so they can charge as little as they want almost... Nvidia is still on a 16nm node, less GPUs per wafer. The 1080 and 1070's performance in vulcan and DX12 has been poor from current benchmarks...

brucer

Speaking of async compute and hbm, my Fury hasnt shown me anything except for lacking performance and very poor drivers..  My Fury wont even touch a overclocked gtx980, much less a titan-x which the 1070 is suppose to run neck and neck with.. Old or new title, remember the gtx980/980ti/titan-x do not have async compute or hbm either and they all outrun a fury/fury-x..  Dont believe everything amd is telling you..

The 1070 and 1080 will handle async compute, they just use software to do it, thats why those gpu's are clocked so much faster and the memory isnt hindering those gpus much, if any at all.. An example of hbm would be in the Fury, it should perform much better with the hbm, yet it does not, it will barely run with a gtx980 then you overclock the 980 and it blows a Fury away.

Remember the 1070 is the mid level entry at $380, the 1080 is the mid/upper entry, the 1080ti and 1080-titan have yet to be seen or heard of, I would almost bet that the 980ti and 1080 titan will be monster overclockers with hbm memory and amd cards are going to be stuck at a little over factory clock speeds.

My Fury with its async compute and hbm does not impress me at all, example, I'm running Heaven maxed out and get 40fps for over $500 dollars, give me a break.

Is dx12 going to be that much better, or is that amd blowing smoke?  The only two games I've seen using dx12 is Ashes of Singularity,which I could care less about and doesnt put any type of stress on a system and is also an amd backed game, the other is Doom coded with vulcan api on a 1080 at well over 120fps..

After my Fury purchase I dont trust AMD as far as I can throw them, I dont trust nvidia either.. I will never purchase another gpu until they've been on the market at minimum 4 months and I'll definitely dig around on information for what I'm purchasing.. I thought I did with my Fury, but evidently you cant trust paid/endorsed youtube reviewers either, they are as full of it as the manufacturers are.

siman

Then you got something else that is causing your problems I have fury, fury X, 390, 290, 295x2 / GTX Titan, Titan X, 970, 980, 780 and a few others. AMD has always done me good. You might want to look into what settings your using on your games. A few of my clients that use AMD cards have to disable Nvidia gameworks features in games. Make sure your not using HBAO+ or other Nvidia features.

That was at doom preview was rendered at 1080p. That is vary easy to render especially at over 120FPS again NVidia is doing smoke and mirros... Yes down at the programing DX12 is far more optimized and allows more rendering techniques. Vulcan is also essentially a recode of Mantel...

brucer

Yea, my Sapphire Nitro Fury is the problem. I think its an underperforming,overpriced gpu..

Run a Unigine Heaven benchmark with your Fury, Fury-x ,Titan and Titan-x and post your results.

My rig is a measly I5-6600k@4.5ghz, 16gig ddr4-3000, Fresh Win10 pro install, 250gig samsung 850evo m.2 main drive, 480gig  Mushkin eco3 ssd for secondary gaming drive.

My Sapphire Nitro Fury @1050gpu 500mem. 2560x1440 8xaa, ultra tessellation.

fury bench 2560x1440.PNG

siman

Before I even get home and run them on my bench rig I already know them I can bench if you'd like. But the problem is your running extreme tessellation, its generally poor on AMD cards. IMHO tess way over used in the industry. You got to remember what your card is good at and aim your settings around that. If you blindly throw everything to the right, extreme, ultra your not going to have a better overall gaming experience. Haven on with extreme tess is ugly as hell as well. This is also going to change in DX12, DX11 used vary inefficient tessellation methods. DX12 allows for different tess methods to be used.

brucer

You do know tessellation is the basic of gaming graphics dont you? The greater the tessellation the smoother the geometry will be, the better looking the environment will be... The more tessellation the greater the load on the gpu.

siman

Yes i know what tess is. If you want to get to originals i remember when amd showed off true form... Your right and wrong about allot in your last statement. Tessalation is a powerful tool. But lets say your making a brick in a game. If this brick is to need only 4 polys then why would it need tessalation? The problem is in today's games that brick would now have upwards of 256 polys. There are other reasons not to have or need to use tesselation. With increased memory bandwith the need for the gpu to calculate more vertices isnt as needed. Tessalation usage these days has become a crutch and a excuse for lazy modelling and game design. Static objects dont need tesselated but we still see it in early dx11 games. At the end of dx11 and right now we are finaly seeing tesselation done right, dynamic tesselation. As tesselated objects get closer to the player the object is tesselated more. Finaly using tesselation on dynamic objects like its designed for.

feverstriker

I am sorry but those prices are just too high. Then again, that's just my opinion.

brucer

Evidently the nda has lifted, AMD is suppose to have some kind of announcement tomorrow at 9am.

more benchmarks.

NVIDIA GTX 1080 Performance Review + DX12 Testing - YouTube