8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2016 8:59 AM by sfox

Win 10 driver for FirePro V4800?

arfoga

Hi guys

Is there any win10 driver for V4800 which gives support to 10 bits color channel?  It is necessary for enjoy of my calibrated screen (Dell U2413) on windows 10

Cheers

• Re: Win 10 driver for FirePro V4800?
          sfox

I have this question too.  I have invested quite a pile of my hard-earned money in a high end monitor and the V4800 card for my graphic editing.  When I "upgraded" to Windows 10, I lost 10-bit support and was pretty pissed about it, but I had faith that the AMD folks would come around with a driver before too long.  Otherwise my card worked "somewhat" in 8 bit, so I could hobble along, with occasional psychedelic screens upon coming out of sleep that required I re-sleep my computer.

Now that the Windows 10 Anniversary Update has infected my computer, I get blue screens of death.  This is a pretty awful thing to let happen to my computer, and I can no longer wait patiently for AMD to fix the driver.  It's been since... what...  December of last year?!  Come on!

Meanwhile, this poor guy/gal, arfoga, has asked a very good question that AMD has not seen fit to answer, namely when/how will he/she be able to use his/her high-end graphics system in 10 bit resolution?  I have the same question.  How long are you going to keep people hanging who need 10 bit color depth?  Do you only care about gamers?  How about photographers and graphic designers?  Do we matter?  You took our money.  Now will you keep our expensive hardware working with needed driver updates?  What the heck?

sfox

Perhaps there's an nVidia card that will support a 40-bit pipeline in Windows 10?  Is there some solution, or is 10 bit color depth obsolete now?

sfox

Update:  I tried following a Windows support suggestion of installing the old ATI drivers in "compatibility mode" for Windows 7.  It worked somewhat, except that I couldn't access the Control Center.  Then when I rebooted my machine, the installation was forgotten, so I was working with hardware default settings.  I uninstalled the drivers (they were there but not working) and then tried to reboot.  The machine hung horribly on the "Getting Windows Ready" screen.  After hours of this, I forced my computer down and rebooted.  The same hang occurred that resolved in about  15 min.  I now have my monitors back, minus color management.  I can only presume I'll be getting the same occasional blue screens of death that will eventually hose my windows installation.  At that point, I'll probably revert to Windows 7 and/or seek out another graphics card solution.  I'm astonished that AMD does not do better by their customers!  I should not have to go through this nightmare.  AMD should support its products with updates that work!

sfox

My computer has crashed three more times.  The last time I got a blue screen of death.  It flew by a bit too fast for me to read it.  Something about a "nonpaged area."  Prior to that I got a blue screen of death with a stopcode of "VIDEO TDR FAILURE."  The offending file was atikmpag.sys.

warpfact0r10

Sorry for the frustrations- hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            sfox

Thanks, Danglingparticiple!  I had tried doing pretty much what you had said already, using the same version of driver, except that I didn't know about the Clean Uninstall Utility or that I could block driver updates.  When I checked the driver update history, sure enough that had happened immediately after I had done my last driver installation.  So driver updates are disabled now (although I understand that doesn't always stop driver updates).  After the reinstall, everything looks about as it did. I'm driving 3 monitors at their native resolution now.  Color management came online after the re-boot, and then it went offline again.  But at least the monitors are still useful -- just not so much for high-end photo editing.  We'll see if I get more blue screens of death (and I'll report back if I do).

After studying this problem further on the Microsoft boards, I think I'm finding that this huge Windows 10 Anniversary Update has been giving a lot of people problems.  Moreover, I think I'm understanding that the 10 bit pipeline under Open GL has been lost from Windows 8 and forward.  So even if I get my monitors working without blue screens of death, I'm never going to get 10 bit color depth, and I might not even have stable color management.  I think I've resigned myself to the idea that I need to upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 7 Pro (the version I came from).  That's a real PITA, of course, since I can't click the handy "please send me back to Windows 7" button anymore.  I've read comments from a few experienced people now who characterize Windows 10 as the worst OS since ME.  I'm not sure I agree, because I think ME might have been a bit better.  Perhaps you would have to go back to Windows 95 or even 3.1 to find a more horrible OS.

Anyway, I think that's my plan:  Hope that this driver installation is stable enough not to crash the OS, wait for a convenient time to upgrade to Windows 7, reinstall everything under that OS, cling to Win 7 for as long as extended support lasts, and then downgrade to Windows 10 years down the line, after the bugs have perhaps been worked out.  Meanwhile someone might have come out with a 10 or 12-bit capable graphic card to support the needs of the graphic arts community in the Windows 10 environment.  (Dare to dream!)

Thanks again for your help!  I'll report back if I get more blue screens of death.

warpfact0r10

Yeah, unfortunately you're probably correct that for now, the best option is to revert to Win7.

There are mechanisms to prevent the upgrade to Windows 10 as seen here: How to Stop Windows 7 or 8 from Downloading Windows 10 Automatically

For photo editing, even if Win 10 did have support for 10 bit color depth, to my knowledge there isn't really any incentive to move to it. DirectX 12 is the big one, but that's just for gaming.

sfox

Thanks, Danglingparticiple...  I appreciate the help.

Unfortunately the problem wasn't as simple as doing a clean re-install of the latest recommended driver (following the exact steps you laid out).  I got yet another blue screen of death last night.  This usually happens when my computer comes up from sleep.  This time I got the same stop code as before -- VIDEO TDR FAILURE.  The offending file was also the same -- atikmpag.sys.

Prior to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, I got other problems when bringing up my computer from sleep, but I didn't get a blue screen.  Probably about 1/4 of the time, I would get a psychedelic screen, and about 1/10 of the time, I would get no screen at all (black).  I had learned to re-sleep my computer and then bring it out of sleep to get my screens back.  Now with this blue screen of death issue, the error rate seems about the same.  About 25% of the time when I bring my computer up from its sleep state, I'll get a blue screen.

In writing all of this, I'm not looking for further help from the community.  I've decided this is something AMD and/or Microsoft have to solve.  It affects not only their graphic artist customers that they've decided not to care about, but also their main market -- gamers.  At least on some installations of Windows 10 (at least mine), the V4800 card cannot be used at all, and that is pathetic.  I hope one of AMD's people will read this.

Anyway, I've made my decision, which is to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro.  It's an enormous PITA, and I realize I'll have extended support for only just so long.  My hope is that Microsoft manages to straighten out this POS before I'm forced to return to it.  Or maybe I'll be forced to maintain two machines.  My image editing machine will be forever Windows 7, but I won't let it connect to any network (especially the Internet), thereby keeping it safe from hackers discovering new exploits.  Then I'll have my machine for everything else, running 8 bit graphics.  Seems a kludgy thing to have to do.

Anyway, thanks again for your help and encouragement.  Work on the Windows 7 Pro upgrade starts today.