7 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2016 1:54 AM by kingfish

Failure updating drivers

shl

Hi!

I have a problem. Today, I tried updating the drivers for my AMD Radeon HD 7970M (on an Alienware 17) for the first time since 2012 (yes, silly, I know). I used the auto-detect-tool, and it installed my new drivers. After rebooting, it appears that my computer has disabled my graphics cards, saying that "Windows has stopped this unit because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". So when I try update the drivers from the Windows menu itself, it reverts back to the 2012 drivers. Help?

• Re: Failure updating drivers
          amdmatt

Please provide more information so we can try to help.

shl
              • AMD Graphics Card
                • AMD Radeon HD 7970M
              • Desktop or Laptop System
                • Alienware M17xR4
              • Operating System
                • Windows 7
              • Driver version installed
              • Motherboard
                • ?
              • CPU/APU
                • Intel Core i/-3610QM
              • RAM
                • 8 GB
                  shl

Intel Core i7-3610QM*

amdmatt

Please try the following to troubleshoot your issue.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable. Don't panic if they are not able to be repaired, continue with the steps below. If the steps below don't resolve the issue, then it's time for a fresh Windows installation.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use the Windows Install/Uninstall repair tool. This can repair problems with the Windows Installer service and could be a reason for this error.

5. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers.

6. Attempt to install the latest Crimson 16.5.1 drivers once the above is completed.

kingfish

Your laptop is equipped with switchable graphics. In order to update the AMD driver, the Intel graphics should be the current version. Go to this Intel link and use the Intel Driver Update Utility to find the latest graphics driver for your laptop. Download and save it to your desktop.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

Download the correct AMD drivers to your desktop >> http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/mobile?os=Windows 7 - 64

Now delete the Intel drivers from your computer using 'uninstall a program' in the computer control panel.

Uninstall the AMD drivers from your computer using the 'uninstall a program' in the computer control panel.

NOTICE IMPORTANT AMD DRIVER UNINSTALL:******

******Computers with Intel processors select 'express' uninstall all AMD software including the install manager.

******Computers with AMD processors custom uninstall the AMD graphics driver and Catalyst Control Panel only.

Reboot.

Note: All anti-malware/anti-virus/anti-anything should be disabled during driver installation.

Install the Intel drivers...reboot

Install the AMD drivers...reboot

kingfish

There are dozens of Alienware 17 models and all are different configurations. Please supply the exact model you have and the Operating System you are using..