6 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2016 12:18 PM by bsp2020

Does HSA support APU + multiple dGPUs?

shuntedentropy

I would like to set up a new Linux test system/server to evaluate HSA and Boltzmann (hipify) software with regards to multi-GPU computing. Ideally, I would like it to be an APU + multi-dGPU system (as many GPU resources as possible!).

1. Does HSA software support APU + multiple dGPU?
        • What limitations are there? Can you operate on data between two or multiple dGPUs? How about between an APU and a dGPU?
      2. Are there requirements in HSA software that would limit the choices in my host configuration?
        • I want as high performance as possible (e.g., low latency, direct memory accesses, unified memory addressing).
        • What type of system should I build? The plan right now is Godaveri APU with many Radeon R9 Nano GPUs, however I am unsure how much support is available for Kaveri/Godaveri and whether I should wait for the desktop Carrizo APU/Bristol Ridge. Limitations on Linux support?
        • Which AMD HPC GPUs include HSA support? Commercial APU support (are there any)?
      3. Are there any pitfalls or issues that I should be aware about?
      4. Do any of the questions or answers change when we talk about evaluating OpenCL instead of HSA?
        • What about OpenCL and HSA applications running concurrently on the same system?

Thanks!