0 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2016 12:13 AM by pendragon

Radeon R9 380 HDMI-connected monitor dropping display adapter/drivers

pendragon

--------- System Specs: --------------------

Graphics: Sapphire Radeon AMD R9 380 Graphics Accelerator

PC: Windows 10 64-bit (Desktop)

Driver Version: AMD 16.150.2211.0

Display Devices: (HDMI connection. See Description.)

Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI Plus

CPU: Intel i3-6100 @ 3.70 GHz

Power Supply: Seasonic S12II Bronze 430W ATX12V

RAM: 8 GB.

------------------------------------------------

This issue came around today after just over a week with my new PC without a single problem cropping up. To note with the Display Device: I'm using a small TV connected via HDMI cable to the GPU, which I understand might be part of my problem, just to throw the guess out there; I'll be going out to buy a DVI-D/I cable to connect to the TV's VGA input and see if that helps, though I'm still confused as to why it's taken so long for this issue to crop up. (Silly Edit: Realized the GPU has a VGA port on it. So I'll be getting a VGA cable. Because I passed this intelligence roll, thank god.)

At some point with everything working right, either switching between or exiting from a fullscreen game to the desktop view is crashing the display to a black screen. Note that there's no issue with the game itself I can identify before that happens—once this error occurred just viewing the desktop, however, and gave me a green screen instead of black. Upon reboot the Display Adapter, again connected via HDMI cable, is disabled in Device Manager with the nondescript 'Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)' error; the audio through the HDMI cable won't work, but I do still get a working screen via Microsoft's basic display adapters.

Uninstalling all (not just the display adapter) AMD Drivers, using the Clean Uninstall Tool, and then downloading and installing the full AMD drivers re-enables the monitor though the display crashes in the midst of the install; a system reboot temporarilly solves all problems and shows all drivers as working correctly, then after some time between 30 minutes to several hours the same problem happens again.

While I'll be getting the DVI-D and/or DVI-I (I'm not sure which one to use, I know only that I've got ports for each on the back of my GPU and a VGA port on the TVs!) tomorrow to see if any problems are fixed, I was wondering if someone with more knowledge might be able to pinpoint the precise problem to help me out. Thanks!