AnsweredAssumed Answered

R9 380: What is "AdaptiveSleepService.exe" and is it related to TDR events?

Question asked by defaultcitizen on Apr 29, 2016
Latest reply on May 1, 2016 by defaultcitizen

What is "AdaptiveSleepService.exe" and why does it fail to start after the system fails to find a specific file? I received a message in Event Viewer mentioning this after Unigine Heaven experienced a hard lock. Is this related to the TDR events I've experienced with Saints Row The Third, Saints Row IV, Fallout 4, and GTA V? I'm using the Crimson 16.3.2 driver.

System specifications: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU (8 CPUs) @ 4.3GHz max turbo 2 cores - 4.1GHz all cores

Memory: 8192MB DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz (PC 12800) XMP

Motherboard: ASUS Z87-PRO with 1602 BIOS

GPU: GIGABYTE GV-R938G1 GAMING-4GD, Radeon R9 380 4GB

Display: Dell P2214H on DisplayPort

Power Supply: 750W Seasonic X Series 80PLUS GOLD

Audio: Onboard, Realtek ALC1150

2 USB Devices (Logitech G502 + wireless K360 keyboard)

EDIT: Interesting, after I ran Unigine Heaven with AMD Adaptive sleep service set to "Disabled" (through services.msc) Windows left this message in Event Viewer after a hard restart: "Application Heaven.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware." Also, the crash occurred at the same point as an earlier run.

Unigine Heaven settings: 1920x1080, DirectX11, Ultra quality, Extreme Tessellation, AAx8, fullscreen, multi-monitor/3D disabled.

EDIT#2: I did a follow-up test with Unigine Heaven and I isolated the hard lock to the 24th scene with the windmill that moves into the upper right corner of the screen. Is it possible that this specific crash is the same thing that was bothering Saints Row (both games listed), or even GTA V by extension?

I forgot to mention that I have Frame Rate Target Control set to 65 FPS and Power Efficiency set to "Off" under global settings in the Radeon Settings, along with MSI Afterburner set to disable ULPS.

Outcomes