1 Reply Latest reply on May 2, 2016 9:58 AM by defaultcitizen

R9 380: What is "AdaptiveSleepService.exe" and is it related to TDR events?

defaultcitizen

What is "AdaptiveSleepService.exe" and why does it fail to start after the system fails to find a specific file? I received a message in Event Viewer mentioning this after Unigine Heaven experienced a hard lock. Is this related to the TDR events I've experienced with Saints Row The Third, Saints Row IV, Fallout 4, and GTA V? I'm using the Crimson 16.3.2 driver.

System specifications: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU (8 CPUs) @ 4.3GHz max turbo 2 cores - 4.1GHz all cores

Memory: 8192MB DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz (PC 12800) XMP

Motherboard: ASUS Z87-PRO with 1602 BIOS

GPU: GIGABYTE GV-R938G1 GAMING-4GD, Radeon R9 380 4GB

Display: Dell P2214H on DisplayPort

Power Supply: 750W Seasonic X Series 80PLUS GOLD

Audio: Onboard, Realtek ALC1150

2 USB Devices (Logitech G502 + wireless K360 keyboard)

EDIT: Interesting, after I ran Unigine Heaven with AMD Adaptive sleep service set to "Disabled" (through services.msc) Windows left this message in Event Viewer after a hard restart: "Application Heaven.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware." Also, the crash occurred at the same point as an earlier run.

Unigine Heaven settings: 1920x1080, DirectX11, Ultra quality, Extreme Tessellation, AAx8, fullscreen, multi-monitor/3D disabled.

EDIT#2: I did a follow-up test with Unigine Heaven and I isolated the hard lock to the 24th scene with the windmill that moves into the upper right corner of the screen. Is it possible that this specific crash is the same thing that was bothering Saints Row (both games listed), or even GTA V by extension?

I forgot to mention that I have Frame Rate Target Control set to 65 FPS and Power Efficiency set to "Off" under global settings in the Radeon Settings, along with MSI Afterburner set to disable ULPS.

• Re: R9 380: What is "AdaptiveSleepService.exe" and is it related to TDR events?
          defaultcitizen

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to reply to my own thread, but editing it causes it to disappear for a while. My initial post is a bit confusing because of the edits, but the main focus here is hard locks + TDR events with my R9 380 4GB.

I can now confirm Fallout 4 does experience a similar hard lock after some gameplay (more than 30 minutes), this time with cloudy weather late in the day, while using the workshop to build settlement stuff. Has something changed in Windows 10 recently that has affected an application's privileges/access to the driver?