AnsweredAssumed Answered

Radeon 380x Crashes with Crimson 16.x

Question asked by mangymutt on Apr 29, 2016
Latest reply on Jul 6, 2016 by mad_animaltgnpartner

My 380x experiences crashes with every single version and sub-version of the Crimson 16.x drivers.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason.  I have tried quite literally everything from underclocking, increasing power limit, decreasing power limit, altering settings in the control panel on literally every iteration of the Crimson 16.x.  Thinking it may be a hardware issue I ran CPU/Mem stress testing via various methods, and even ran my system memory underclocked.  Nothing indicates it's a hardware issue at all.  I have MANY hours into this because I have seen much improved performance in Crimson 16.x over 15.x in some games and really want the 16.x drivers.  I finally had enough and so all the monkeying around I did I figured I'd best just re-install Win10 and start with a clean slate and the newly released 16.4.2.  The issue persisted and so I went back to 15.12 because everything works.  I have monitored fan speeds and temps while gaming and nothing gets crazy.  When running Furmark the card hovers around 67C.

Crashes have happened occasionally on loading the game menu, initial level loads, 5 minutes into games, 15 minutes into games yet I have had a few times when there have been no problems for a few 20-60m sessions over the course of a 24hr period but that was very rare.  Rarely it will crash to the desktop indicating the driver recovered from an error.  Sometimes the screen goes black/signal loss.  Sometimes it's a solid green screen.  It can any one of these in the same game at different points.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason.  Even more interesting is that the green screen has occurred while simply playing a YouTube video (not even full screen) but this has only happened twice since the system was built ~3mos ago.

I have been gaming for a long time...anyone remember the Matrox m3D?  This is getting quite frustrating.

I am more than happy to assist in troubleshooting the issue directly with AMD support or even engineering if given the opportunity.

System Specs:

Windows 10 Pro

Intel i5-6400 w/ Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO

Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 8GB (2x4GB)

MSI Gaming Z170A M3

EVGA 650GQ (650W 80+ Gold)

XFX R9 380X Double Dissipation XXX OC

Outcomes