49 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2016 3:19 AM by mad_animaltgnpartner

Radeon 380x Crashes with Crimson 16.x

mangymutt

My 380x experiences crashes with every single version and sub-version of the Crimson 16.x drivers.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason.  I have tried quite literally everything from underclocking, increasing power limit, decreasing power limit, altering settings in the control panel on literally every iteration of the Crimson 16.x.  Thinking it may be a hardware issue I ran CPU/Mem stress testing via various methods, and even ran my system memory underclocked.  Nothing indicates it's a hardware issue at all.  I have MANY hours into this because I have seen much improved performance in Crimson 16.x over 15.x in some games and really want the 16.x drivers.  I finally had enough and so all the monkeying around I did I figured I'd best just re-install Win10 and start with a clean slate and the newly released 16.4.2.  The issue persisted and so I went back to 15.12 because everything works.  I have monitored fan speeds and temps while gaming and nothing gets crazy.  When running Furmark the card hovers around 67C.

Crashes have happened occasionally on loading the game menu, initial level loads, 5 minutes into games, 15 minutes into games yet I have had a few times when there have been no problems for a few 20-60m sessions over the course of a 24hr period but that was very rare.  Rarely it will crash to the desktop indicating the driver recovered from an error.  Sometimes the screen goes black/signal loss.  Sometimes it's a solid green screen.  It can any one of these in the same game at different points.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason.  Even more interesting is that the green screen has occurred while simply playing a YouTube video (not even full screen) but this has only happened twice since the system was built ~3mos ago.

I have been gaming for a long time...anyone remember the Matrox m3D?  This is getting quite frustrating.

I am more than happy to assist in troubleshooting the issue directly with AMD support or even engineering if given the opportunity.

System Specs:

Windows 10 Pro

Intel i5-6400 w/ Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO

Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 8GB (2x4GB)

MSI Gaming Z170A M3

EVGA 650GQ (650W 80+ Gold)

XFX R9 380X Double Dissipation XXX OC

• Re: Radeon 380x Crashes with Crimson 16.x
          cowtown62

I dont have the same issues as you but i am getting freezing and black screen. I get the black screen when running some unigine benchmarks aswell but only when overclocked. I tried increasing the voltage a tad but didnt seem to help much. Ive seen a few other guys with same problem they were told to rollback to the drivers you mentioned. They are aware and working on it. expect a fix in the next driver update probably a few days to a few weeks.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            antoni209

See this thread: R9 380X black screen

I have had the same problems with every driver since 16.3.1

emsir

I've had the same problem with R 390, but then I realized that i was using the wrong driver. I was just downloading the x64 driver for Radeon Duo Pro as it is the first driver on AMD's page. Then i found out you have to scroll down to download drivers for R9 Fury - R9 300- R7 300 series.

Next is drivers for R9 200-  and older cards.

So be carefull which drivers you download.

I had many problems with the drivers for Radeon Pro Duo drivers....black sreens, Icon on Taskbar dissapeared, System hanged, error messages about host controller and so on. After installing the correct drivers for my R390 everything just works great!

pwlm1975

Same issue here with Crimson 16.4.1.  Random black screen in Sims 3/4 (which were both running fine on the CPU IGP) and Roblox (ditto with IGP).

Reverted back to 15.11 and no issues for 24 hours. As mentioned, use Driver Uninstall to restart in Safe Mode and uninstall the current drivers, then install Crimson 15.11 and see if it improves stability.  I did notice some frame slowdowns in NFS:MW 2012 but stable and little performance difference in FPS like Bioshock Infinite and Crysis 1/2/3.

Radeon Software Version - 15.11

Radeon Software Edition - Crimson

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380X (Sapphire Nitro)

Memory Size - 4096 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Core Clock - 1040 MHz

Windows Version - Windows 10

System Memory - 8 GB

CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz

pwlm1975

Just had a crash in Roblox with the Crimson 15.11 drivers. This is getting crazy.

Going back to Catalyst 15.7 to see if that helps.

ex_soldier523

Hello, I was having the same issues, black screens and crashed with my sapphire r9 380 4gb, but they started after I updated my OS from win 8.1 64 bit to win 10 64, got crashes on Ryse Son of Rome, Ark Survival, Shadow of Mordor, and Dark Souls 3, I tried a clean install of win 10 but dont worked, still crashing, they only way to fix was reverting back to win 8.1 64 bits, and catalyst 15.11.1 for better performace on Dark Souls 3, less stutter and no crashes.

Try install a win 8.1 on a different partition and test if u have crashed or black screen.

neallord

Got various freezes in games like CS GO and Borderlands 2. Especially when tabbing out the computer will randomly show a green screen and hang with nothing else left than turning the pc of. Reverting back to the Asus default Driver seems to fix any issue. Also why does Asus have it's own Catalyst control centre with a blue theme? Has it been specially developed for the Asus Strix R9 380?

i5-4460

Asus Strix AMD R9 380

Seasonic M12ii EVO 520W

8GB DDR3 1600mhz

raz

I run some tests today, and I think the card crashes if it has to draw some good qualty shadows.

For intance: Dark Souls 3 ->  find a place where you can see your character shadow, and if you set shadow option to high you will crash, but at medium settings everything is ok (I've tested it on the open area just before the twins, Lorian/Lothric entrance).

Same at The Witcher 3 (running circles around campfire).

So if you want to use crimson driver, then use lower shadow quality or turn it off.

Tested on: 16.4.2 Crimson

mangymutt

Thanks for the info.  I will give this a shot when I get home and report back.

pwlm1975

Tonight I got a black screen doing Unigine at Ultra DX11.  When W10 restored by restarting the driver I couldn't close any programs or the Windows menu. Had to reset.

Reduced it to High, ran the test 3 times, no problem encountered.

The stupid thing is, I can play newer, more intense games at Very High settings without issue, but Roblox?  It doesn't have a graphics preset AFAIK. Sims 3/4? Have never played at the highest settings and still blacking out. It played 100% perfect on the HD4000 graphics of my 3570K.

Anyway it's progress, but poor progress.  I bought this card so I could max games out. Any chance this could be a DX12 integration issue on older games? It wouldn't explain the pick-and-choose style of the black screens, but still...

defaultcitizen

I've had similar issues with my R9 380 4GB, I ran Unigine Heaven thinking that I should test the stability of the card, and I get hard-locks/blackscreens, with the occassional TDR event if it recovers. This all occurs in the same scene with the windmill (#24?), with all of the settings turned up to max at my native 1920x1080 in DX11 mode. It crashes the moment the windmill touches the upper right of the screen. Some times if Event Viewer manages to record the error, it mentions "Heaven.exe was blocked from accessing Graphics hardware" and "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered". Saints Row The Third + Saints Row IV have had a similar crashes after approx. 30 minutes of gameplay, and leave the "was blocked from accessing Graphics hardware" error message as long as the system doesn't hard-lock.

mangymutt

amdmatt

For what it's worth.  I swapped my 380x into my wife's PC and installed 16.3.2 iirc.  It worked flawlessly so it's definitely not the card.  I swapped her EVGA GTX 950 FTW into my machine and I had no problems other than less FPS/slow downs.

Her system specs:

Windows 10 Pro

Intel i3-3100

GSkill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 8GB (2x4GB)

ASRock H110M Combo-G

EVGA 600 B1 (600W 80+ Bronze)

mangymutt

I have done some more testing with 16.4.1 and 16.4.2.  I increased the power limit +20% at stock speeds, underclocked GPU to both 990Mhz & 970MHz at +0% power limit, then 990 % 970 at +20% power limit, and underclocked mem speeds in 25mhz increments down to 1375Mhz at both +20% and +0% power limits with stock, and both underclocked GPU speeds.  I tried all of the combinations with power efficiency toggled off.  Testing was done with Saints Row IV because it typically provides a crash in 15-20 minutes.  After the game crashes (always to black screen\looping audio) subsequent crashes happen increasingly faster with each reboot as though the GPU has overheated and never given an opportunity to recover.  Graphics are set to Ultra at 1920x1080p, outputting via HDMI.

Findings:

Any of the combinations increased playtime over the stock settings.  +20% Power Limit made the biggest difference here.  Underclocking the GPU speeds combined with +20% allowed for the longest gaming session of about an hour with each subsequent reboot allowing for less playtime, as usual.  Next session after the lock with the combination allowed for ~20m session.  Underclocking the memory seemed to make no difference.  Edit: Fan speed increased up to ~60% and temps never went above ~68deg.

marlon.game@yahoo.com

I have the same experience with my Sapphire R9 380X. Screen randomly turns green (when pixel format is set to YCbCr 4:4:4) or black (when RGB full range format) and hangs when playing or while running Unigine Heaven/Valley stress test. Funny, this doesn't show when I run Furmark for ~1 hr, while maintaining 70 to 75 deg Celsius GPU temps. I have already tried returning this to the local distro for warranty but per their checking, the card runs fine (they "torture-tested" it with games/stress tests).

Currently, I'm using 16.4.2 driver and the issue does not show anymore (green/black screen of death), but I'm getting driver resets while running Valley or Heaven (on the part where the windmill pans on the upper right of the screen). On games, I have not tested much but it runs smoothly on Fallout 4, Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, Street Fighter 5, and Dragon Age.

Hoping AMD can fix this.

System specs:

AMD FX-8320 cooled by H80i

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 rev 4

2x 4GB G.Skill Trident X 2933 CL12 (2133CL9)

Sapphire R9 380X

Seasonic P760

128GB OCZ Vertex 4

1TB WD Caviar Blue

CM Storm Scout 2 case

hybrid

16.3 works very well,

You can see my guide for almost full crash free drivers:

Solutions and suspects for Graphics Driver crash,Signal loss

mangymutt

I appreciate your input but all versions thus far have produced the same issues.  I am stable at 15.12 but am unhappy to not be able to utilize the improved performance of the 16.x.x series drivers. (Wife's GTX950 at the same settings doesn't have screen tearing like my 380x does in some games' cut scense- go figure).

I have been using Radeon series cards since 1999/2000 (ATi) or so and although I have had driver issues. I have never had such a blatant hardware/software incompatibility issue as what I have experienced with 16.x.x.  The frustrating part for me...it's 2016...my first computer was an 8088 (DOS 3.1) and so I understand how it goes.  Thing is...again, it's 2016 and it's an ongoing problem that AMD has obviously put at a low priority.  They need to get with the program.  At this point, I am seriously thinking that they are more focused on APU than GPU.  We are to just be ignored until it's convenient for them to resolve the issue but by that time I will likely be running the nVidia GTX 1070 and not care what they have to say until Vega.

I am highly disappointed with AMD and have started to sincerely regret my purchase of the 380x.  I have always favored Radeon cards cards but have used cards from both red and green teams over the years.  None have let me down as much as the 380x and it's due to the driver issues - for the short time my card will work correctly with 16.x.x I am VERY satisfied.

DISCLAIMER:  I have not tried 16.5 but I doubt this will correct the trouble - I do not see anything in the release notes that indicates there was any progression of resolution for our issues.

marlon.game@yahoo.com

I will try this and provide feedback. Thanks, mate!

djsiegfried

Green Screen crash again and again... What should i do? I reinstalled the driver with DDU but i still get this error.

R9380X

990FXAud3

12gigs of ddr3

60gb ssd

clean windows 10.

mangymutt

The latest version I have been able to reliably use is 15.12.  I am about to try 16.5.2 shortly.

mangymutt

I just installed 16.5.2 and jumped into Saints Row IV while my wife picked up our son from nursery school.  I was able to play for nearly an hour without any issues!

SR4 will typically crash in 15-20 minutes with all the other 16.x.x drivers.  I was able to extend the gameply with other versions by increasing the power limit and downclocking but with each reboot the time between crashes would decrease.

Next up are some synthetic benchmarks as I don't have the time to test any other games right now.  There was another user who reported 16.5.2 corrected their issues also but they had not had enough time to see if it definitely fixed their issue - they were able to get past the windmill scene in Unigine Heaven IIRC which would consistently crash at that spot.

john007

Hello,

You could try out the RadeonPro mod drivers?

Download | RadeonPro - AMD Radeon™ Unleashed

mangymutt

These appear to be 3rd party drivers...COOL!  Way back when I used to use 3rd party drivers called "Omega" but this was before AMD released the Omega Catalyst versions.  If memory serves me right the developer/maintainer was approached by ATi and he joined their team but I could be very wrong on that part...you are going back many years.

I will give these a shot within the week after I do some research on them.  Thanks for the tip!

mangymutt

Crimson 16.5.2 Update:

My kids wanted me to play Octodad and so I did...I only recently got the game but was able to play through it uninterrupted with the Crimson 16.5.2 drivers.  I did not have the game to try it with the other versions of 16.x but I did happen to play it a couple days for the first time on 15.12 without issues.  I have been running the 15.12 drivers exclusively for stability.

With the 16.5.2 drivers I had Unity Heaven running for about a half hour straight (DirectX 11, Max Tesselation, 1920x1080, 2xAA) without a crash.  Just after being surprised by an interrupted gaming session in Saints Row IV I popped open Furmark.  Something that I noticed was that previously I had an occasional stutter.  I did not think it was worth mentioning but now I do because with 16.5.2 there is no stutter in Furmark.  I checked the clock speed using AMD Overdrive and it was hovering ~980Mhz on the GPU.  I did not confirm this with GPU-Z but I will over the next couple days.  I will do some logging and compare it to some of my previously saved logs.  If only I had them organized by driver version. :/

So now with about an hour into Saints Row IV, about a half our in Octodad, about 10 minutes in Furmark, and half hour in the Heaven benchmark I am feeling really positive about the 16.5.2 drivers.  I am confident enough that if this keeps up I will start doing some more diagnostics and may even dissect the driver code to see what has changed...but I hate programming in any capacity so this is unlikely.  I just want to know what changed, what the issue was, and what corrected it.

Maybe amdmatt might be able to enlighten us or reach out to the AMD devs and see if there is anything that may have changed but was not published?  Maybe something they changed for other cards that would have an effect on the 380s?

I will keep this thread updated with my test results and experience with the driver as I spend more time with it.

"Previous Post May 12, 2016 12:45 PM (under a reply within this thread):

I just installed 16.5.2 and jumped into Saints Row IV while my wife picked up our son from nursery school.  I was able to play for nearly an hour without any issues!

SR4 will typically crash in 15-20 minutes with all the other 16.x.x drivers.  I was able to extend the gameply with other versions by increasing the power limit and downclocking but with each reboot the time between crashes would decrease.

Next up are some synthetic benchmarks as I don't have the time to test any other games right now.  There was another user who reported 16.5.2 corrected their issues also but they had not had enough time to see if it definitely fixed their issue - they were able to get past the windmill scene in Unigine Heaven IIRC which would consistently crash at that spot."

marlon.game@yahoo.com

Update: Still experiencing green screen crashes with 16.5.2 and hybrid's workaround for 16.3 while running Unigine Valley. :/

mangymutt

UPDATE:  I have been stable with 16.5.1 through 16.5.3 with many hours of gameplay.  Now if only Bethesda\id can get their act together with DOOM crashing to the desktop/lockups that'd be great.  This is something that many people have had trouble with no matter if they are using AMD\Intel CPU, AMD\nVidia GPU, or any combination thereof.   Such a great game, too.