2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2016 1:36 PM by nukedathlonman

Linux AMDGPU major issues

nukedathlonman

Okay, I've just upgraded my Kubuntu install from 15.10 (which worked great) to 16.04 and I'm a little overwhelmed and can't find the cause of problems.  Quick laptop spec - HP Pavilion with A10-8700P, 16GB dual channel memory, 960gb SSD.  I know Ubuntu dropped Crimson support in favor of AMD's open source AMDGPU driver (as AMD is phasing it out on Linux if I understand things correctly).  If I run the laptop on battery I get random black screens of death (I can't even ssh into the machine remotely).  If I'm on hydro, it's seems to work as long as I'm using the internal display, stay on the desktop, and don't make any form of display change.  If it's hooked up to an external monitor or TV, it over-scan's completely off the display.  There is no where in any control panel to set the overscan.  If I use a terminal (Konsole), I can turn off overscan it for roughly 5 seconds using xrandr.  Then both screens go back and total system freeze again.  If I move the mouse between the displays I get the same crash.  If I change the back ground, theme, load a full screen application, etc results in the same black screen and freeze.  I also get very odd things ocuring on my boot - I select to boot Kubuntu, and for about 2-3 seconds between the grub display and the splash screen display, it alternates between two different blacks and turns on and off the back light repeatedly for about 2-3 seconds.  I don't think that's very good for the display (and didn't happen in 15.10 - I was using the latest Crimson driver however).  I've booted Kubuntu's safe mode and no errors are getting logged in any of the files.  And the computer is stable like that.  Well, good thing I keep this computer backed up...  Is there any suggestions on what to look at to get this working?  But based on what I'm seeing, I think this is beyond my debugging abilities (that's a rare thing) - should I simply restore 15.10?

• Re: Linux AMDGPU major issues
          kingfish

Did you uninstall the old drivers first?

• Re: Linux AMDGPU major issues
              nukedathlonman

Well, the upgrade process it's self should/would have "purged" the old drivers automatically (like all the software that gets updated).  But actually I did apt-get remove --purge every single package fglrx installed to use the open source ones while I was still at Kubuntu 15.10.  Those where even more unstable - but I don't believe the open source drivers in any stable (non-bleeding edge) Linux distro  would have had any support for Carrizo at all.  I wanted to see how well the older open source driver worked (or rather, didn't).  I so I wasn't surprised (but I already knew that from when I did install Kubuntu 4 months ago). I performed the do-release-upgrade from a non X11 loaded boot.