3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2016 10:32 AM by rageraiden

Activated AHCI led to my GPU not working

rageraiden

Something quite bizarre happened when I tried to activate the AHCI option in the BIOS. I had first tried with windows 7 already installed by changing a value in the registry. At first, everything seemed fine with a noticeable speed bump but within a few minutes, the computer rebooted. Then the monitor kept going on and off before the computer shut down.

Nothing seemed to work, even changing back the registry (through the command line interface) & the setting in the BIOS. In safe mode the computer booted just fine, so it did when the monitor was plugged on the motherboard.

In the end, I reinstalled windows 7 thinking I had messed up. This time I activated AHCI prior to installing the operating system. Everything was fine and dandy until I installed the latest GPU driver. The computer rebooted, then the monitor kept going on and off before the computer shut down. Still, it boots just fine in safe mode or when plugged on the motherboard.

I consider reinstalling windows 7 with the IDE setting but I could do without. I do not have another system to test the GPU (not yet atleast). Any idea? I am confused but I felt it was the correct forum to come to.

Thanks for your help.

PS: I already had the latest drivers when the problem occured. And now even after completely uninstalling/erasing anything related to the GPU drivers (registry, folders....) the computer will not get past the windows logo (screen LED going on & off until it shuts down) unless it is in safe mode. That is why I thought it was not an issue related to the GPU drivers. Because getting rid of them should, then, have solved the problem. I thought the BIOS was corrupted, but then why would it work in safe mode.

GPU: Sapphire radeon HD 7950

MB: MSI H61M-P31 (G3)

PSU: Corsair VS550