1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 2, 2017 4:54 AM by root-access

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS driver

root-access

Hello,

I just upgraded to 16.04 and yes, I was aware of the driver changes they made. This is a test to see if I should upgrade my main PC which also has a AMD GPU. My question is, how can I tell which I was put on? I checked Additional Drivers and it says "do not use the device" below "Using Processor microcode firmaware for AMD CPUs from amd64-microcode (proprietary):".

Here is the lspci -nn | grep VGA output:

00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] BeaverCreek [Radeon HD 6520G] [1002:9647]

I am using a laptop, if it matters.

And for my Desktop, I get this:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tahiti PRO [Radeon HD 7950/8950 OEM / R9 280] [1002:679a]

Checking additional drivers gives me an empty field.

Thanks!

EDIT

Still no solution.

• Re: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS driver
          root-access

Still no solution and 16.04.2 LTS is almost out.

Does AMD have no intention of making drivers for the older R9 series for Linux? Even if they could release one driver for the newest release that would be great, because as it is now, there are no drivers at all and that is just...well...not cool.

Has there been any news? Or a new method of using drivers in 16.04 LTS? I'm pretty desperate to get rid of the tearing and the terrible performance in games.

Thanks!