9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2017 9:35 AM by L4d

Artifacts while web browsing and gaming

L4d

I saw black rectangles and jumbled text while browsing similar to these; if I switch tabs, the artifacts go away to later reoccur:

https://community.amd.com/message/2706215#comment-2706215

Gaming would show green rectangles and "static-like" textures in DX9 (Might and Magic Heroes 7) and DX11 (Magic Duels).

These occur at any speed(s), but higher VRAM speed possibly exacerbates the situation.

Is this a driver problem, or is it a faulty card?

I use a 260X via Windows Vista SP2, but I plan to keep this card for my next build that will use Windows 10, so I'm curious if any other Windows 10 users experience this with newer drivers as Vista support stopped at 13.12, despite Microsoft's support until 2017.

I used the same PC via Windows XP SP3, but it was much worse, and the artifacts were very obstructive versus Vista's artifacts, so I'm hoping for driver support to remedy this.

• Re: Artifacts while web browsing and gaming
          waltc

Highly suggest you dump Vista ASAP...;)  It's a memory hog compared to Win7 and beyond.  Wouldn't hurt to grab a new GPU and install a decent game-friendly OS at the same time.  Just because Microsoft "supports" Vista until next year is not close to being a recommendation from Microsoft that you stick with Vista until then, as they've released *three* OS versions since Vista.  Sounds like your entire gaming rig is long in the tooth...;)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              L4d

I agree, but I'm waiting for Zen before I build a new PC.

What's odd is, AMD lists support via XP and Vista for my card, yet at default settings, I saw artifacts. Why would AMD and Microsoft allow this?

waltc

If you are seeing artifacts at normal clocks while you are web browsing then I'd say that you need to see about an RMA on that card ASAP...;)  However, this can also happen when the PSU in use is simply not up to the task--so that's an area to look at.  If your PSU is as old as your OS (Vista) then that might be your problem!  Hope you get it sorted!

L4d

I now am using Windows 7 on the same hardware, so I'll report back here if I see artifacts again.

I'm using 16.5.1, and I formatted, not upgraded.

Windows 7.png

L4d

I briefly (a few seconds versus indefinitely on previous drivers) saw gray boxes via Firefox while playing a video on Facebook after a while of usage on driver 16.6.1, but this was with RAM set as 7Gb/s (1,750MHz versus the default 1,625MHz), and games have not shown artifacts yet, so I should try at default speed.

However, I read that my exact RAM modules (2048 MB, GDDR5, Hynix H5GQ4H24MFR) are rated for 7Gb/s at 1.5 volts, like other overclocked 260Xs have by default, so I'm hesitant to take time to watch for artifacts at default RAM speed, but I should for science...

Can anyone confirm that my XFX 260X (R7-260X-CDFR) does not give at least 1.5 volts for its RAM, please, and how can we tell if the RAM has a bad overclock? I read that GDDR5 downclocks to prevent errors, so I should be checking performance?

L4d

I'm seeing artifacts in Overwatch at default speeds with my 260X and 16.9.1. Would newer drivers stop this?

I noticed AMD stating that h.264 content showed blocks as I have in this thread.

Update:

The latest hotfix (16.10.1) does not fix this; Overwatch still has artifacts at default speeds.

L4d

I saw similar checkerboard corruption over a fullscreen game when streaming AMD via HTML5 in the background the other day as I was playing Overwatch because I have a single monitor.

L4d

I saw similar checkerboard corruption with nothing but ReLive via Overwatch and Paladins.

edit: 17.2.1 does not fix this.