12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2018 1:31 AM by swedgen

R9 390X running at 94C consistently

tylernv

Recently purchased a pre-built PC from HP.  Needless to say everything has been running smoothly up until I checked my temps using HWMonitor (I also checked with other software such as SpeedFan/AB to make sure there were no errors) which showed me the results that my GPU (R9 390X 8GB) was running at 94C consistently on games.  I was experiencing no screen tearing/artifacting/etc and was running the games at 60fps+.  Still being slightly worried I contacted both AMD and HP about it who assured me it was perfectly fine for the card to run at 94C and that it would not shorten the life-span of the card or cause any hardware damage.  My question is, is there anyone else here that has had any similar situations with a reference R9 390X?  Also does this seem normal at all for AMD reference cards?

image: http://www.ozone3d.net/public/jegx/201506/amd-radeon-r9-390x-grenada-gpu.jpg  (this is what my card looks like)

• Re: R9 390X running at 94C consistently
          playsbothsides

Judging by the design of the card I would say the temps are normal.

For reference my 390X card rarely exceeds 80c gaming. Better cooling solution.

Good airflow through your case helps quite a lot too.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              tylernv

Thanks for the input.  If you are getting around 80C while using a much better cooling solution I can definitely see why mine would be reaching 94.

But does anyone here know if playing consistently at these temps for lets say hours will cause no damage to the card itself or shorten it's lifespan?

Hardwood

Install GPUz and leave it running while your gaming. Pause the game and check the sensor tab. What speed % is the fan running at? If it's sitting at 35% then there's a problem. I use MSI Afterburner (there's other options) with my 290x to control the fan speed and  have it ramped up to 100% by the time it gets that warm.

As to your question, there's been times when afterburner loses it's brain and I find the card at 94c and the fan at 35%. I don't consider that a serious problem as the whole thing will throttle when it gets a bit hotter, which it never does, or maybe it's already throttling  but I can't tell.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  emsir

Rubbish.....It's not normal at all. AMD knows about the problem, but will/can not do anything about it. Problem is with 144 hz monitors refresh rate. If you set your refresh rate to 144 hz your memory clock will run at full speed all the time and NOT clock down to 150 mhz, when idle, which is normal behaviour. And temp will be 60 to 90 degrees all the time too. If you set your refresh rate to 120 hz and lower (60 hz) Memory clock goes down to "normal" = 150 mhz when idle and temp will be "normal" (30-40 degrees)

So please stop thinking you know something about this issue. You know NOTHING at all. It has NOTHING to do with cooling. Problem is with R9 series from AMD. They are broken and can not be fixed. Nvidia do not have this problem. So if you have a 144 hz monitor, lower your refresh rate to 120 hz and you will not have the heat issue. Or sell your R9 390 card and buy Nvidia.

Hardwood

Keeping in mind I have a 290x not a 390 version so can't say if this is all the same.

Since my very first ATI/AMD vidcard just enabling a second monitor will bring memory speed to full. It makes about 4 or 5 degrees difference. Meh..

tylernv. Try this.

Start GPUz

Start Radeon Settings and make the window bigger, max it if necessary. Go to the gaming tab, then go to the Global Overdrive section. If your window is big enough you'll see gpu clock, power limit, memory clock and fan speed sliders. At the fan speed click the radio button and auto should disappear. If the 390 is anything like my 290 the fan is now free to change speeds as required. So back to gpuz and on the graphics card tab there's a ? mark right beside Bus Interface on the far right. Click on that and a Render test will start. Now back to the gpuz's sensors and watch your fan speed and cpu temp to see if the fan ramps up as the temp goes up.

I'm curious to find out if yours does the same.

steelninja

No you don't know what YOU are on about. I have this card and a 60hz 4k monitor which I have setup to display at 1440p and I still have the heat issue and it is normal for these cards.. however mine rarely reaches 94c it's usually 86 87 but it does max out at 94c and will NEVER go any higher as this is the normal maximum temp. some 290x's ALWAYS ran at 94c because it was designed that way. 390x is designed the same but benefits from a better cooling solution (my MSI R9 390X does anyway) hence it usually has lower temps but 94c is still fine apparently. 80 used to be the norm but now they are designed to run hotter. . I still get worried when my one reaches 94c but it still performs great and you wouldn't notice without the fan speeds.

cowtown62

you need to make a custom profile in sapphire trixx. Id get those fans going over 80 percent atleast after 80C

j4cksutton

Im having the same problem as you are, although im running in crossfire with a 290x.

The 290x is around 80C and 390x 94C, i have cleaned the case numerous times and now have 8 case fans trying to keep it cool, which is still doesnt.

I also have the gpu fan hit 100% at 80C but still makes no difference. I tweeted AMD and hes pretty much said its a fault card as it should never get that hot under 100% fan speed. I know my airflow etc is fine because running idle there both 40C

swedgen

Ok, so I know that this is an old post but I have this card (the reference card indeed) AND mine always ran at 94c temps and I was worried. I remember calling and reading forums for several weeks to try to solve the issue. I eventually was able to trouble shoot the problem myself and there wasn't a lot of help available despite my attempts at reaching out. The solution or bottom line that I found was simple and yet not. It is not a defective card or the fact that it is not being cooled properly. It is simply this, the factory default is set for this card to run up to 95c at "auto" function most likely to give the user a "quieter" experience aka before the blower fan revs up to an audible high. What you, in fact, need to do is go into Radeon settings, click on gaming, and enable the global WattMan. You must accept the terms to enable global wattMan, once done you scroll down to temperature, click over to manual and then set your own temperature and choose a lower temp. I set mine to 79c. What this means is that when your card was running say "a game" at heavy load previously it was waiting until 1 degree under 95 before starting to kick up fan rpm hence the 94c reading. What you will notice after setting a lower temp is that the fan rpm will kick up and be louder at the new low preset (something that doesn't bother me). I was much more worried about the card running at a really high temp than I was having a little more noise. Anyhow this is the solution I found USING AMD's software. I am sure a 3rd party software could also allow you to set temps and control fan rpm's perhaps even better but I was using the base software and the OP described basically what I was experiencing until I found the solution. It ended up being simple yet no one could help me with it until I just tinkered away, not even AMD. Instead of saying hey 95c is normal "no worries" they should have offered this "hey, here is a way you can lower that top end temp". Hope this helps even years later.

P.S. if you update the gpu driver you have to redo the process i described, as well as if you have a system crash etc, you must go into the global WattMan and set the temp. Also don't forget to hit APPLY in the top right corner before leaving the global WattMan, the features and software still need some improvements in my opinion.