3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2016 1:50 AM by slimbig

Memory Clock Gets Maxed Out On Dual Monitors

slimbig

Update:

On Crimson Edition 16.5.2.1 Hotfix problem is still there

Hi

When I extend desktop to my secondary monitor the memory clock gets maxed out and stays there at 1450 MHz it will not go down unless I switch to single display, this result in serious card heating problem, it idles at 75c

My system information:

Driver:            Crimson 16.4.1 (cleanly installed)

Card:              Sapphire R9 380 Nitro

Display 1:       Benq XL2730Z      running at 144 Hz connected to DP

Display 2:       Asus VX23H          running at 60 Hz connected to HDMI

Further details to eliminate the back and forth Q and A

- It does not matter what resolution FHD/QHD I set or refresh rate I set if it's 60, 100, 120 or 144 as long as I extend desktop to secondary monitor the memory clock goes up and stays up at 1450 it directly goes to the value set at the over-drive while idle

- If I switch to single display (does not matter which monitor of the two) memory clock drops to 150 MHz as it supposed to

- Tested Crimson16.3.2 and got the same results

- I only install drivers after fully uninstalling the old one then running DDU in safe mode to make sure all traces were removed so the driver installation process is not questioned here

- The only scenario where I don't get the memory clock problem is when I connect both monitors by DVI which is not a solution since I will be stuck at 1080p resolution and 60 Hz refresh rate (the Benq monitor is QHD / Free sync / 144 Hz) so you know why not

- To save your time I have done all possible tests under my system, mixed monitor connection interfaces and reached the following conclusion/driver bug

>>> If you connect two monitors to an R9 380 and use DP or HDMI at QHD resolution on one of them you will get the memory clock constant maxing out while card is idle and high idle temperate issue <<<

A response and a fix from AMD would be appreciated

Thank you