3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2018 9:28 AM by arakattack

R9 200 series several games crash entire system reboot required

arakattack

Okay, so, I've got an R9 200 series (I believe 280x, but the thing will only tell me 200 series. Hopefully that's good enough)

Two weeks ago everything's running swimmingly. Mostly I'm playing ARK: Combat Evolved (alpha) and Final Fantasy 14 (Not... alpha...)

Then my ARK started doing lots of video driver flush crashes, which is just a part of an alpha game - I get it. It's a known issue basically because it's not optimized, so it's throwing tons of junk data at the card, which then windows perceives as a frozen card, resets the video driver, which crashes the game. HOWEVER... Later that weekend, the video crashes started getting more severe. Instead of just crashing the game, they would blackscreen the system PERMANENTLY, requiring a full restart. And then it started affecting other games, like Final Fantasy 14. Now I basically can't play any modern games without fully crashing my system. I've had my system in the shop for over a week now because they can't seem to nail down the problem. And I don't even know where to begin. After this long in testing the problem I have to conclude it's not a hardware fault. It has to be SOMEONE's software, and if it were just ARK then i'd say that's your problem, right? But with Square Enix's Final Fantasy 14 thrown in as well, well, I can't just so easily point and say it's just the indie developer derping it up.

What options do I have? How do I fix this? Is this a software issue that I push here? Is it a hardware issue and I just need to shell out another $300 for a video card after less than a year since I bought this one? I mean I can't just keep pumping hundreds of dollars into diagnostics that aren't finding any problems and I'm just too newbish to know where to go from here.

One thing I thought I might add, and it's a weird one... this is an ASUS Republic of Gamers rig, and it comes with the ROG overclocking bios, I have not messed with these settings AT ALL. It is completely 100% stock (other than the video card which I replaced day 1) weird thing though, if I restart it gracefully, no problems, but if I restart it after the blackscreen crash, it faults during POST, and says overclocking failed, press F1 to go into the bios settings. This may just be because it considers any hard reboot like that to be due to an overclock failure?

Also the techs at the store ruled out power supply as the problem, I don't know if they tested RAM or not (I would assume they did) the only thing I know they did not check was the vid card, because they didn't have a comparable video card to swap in.

Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD

Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon R9 200 Series

Device ID - 67B1

Vendor ID - 1002

SubSystem ID - 2343

SubSystem Vendor ID - 148C

Revision ID - 00

Bus Type - PCI Express 3.0

Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 3.0 x8

BIOS Version - 015.044.000.007

BIOS Part Number - 113-C6711101-X672

BIOS Date - 2014/02/26 21:49

Memory Size - 4096 MB

Memory Type - GDDR5

Memory Clock - 1250 MHz

Core Clock - 975 MHz

Total Memory Bandwidth - 320 GByte/s

2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0000

System Manufacturer: ASUS

BIOS: BIOS Date: 11/14/14 14:58:52 Ver: 05.06.05

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz (12 CPUs) ~ 3.3GHz

Memory: 16384MB RAM

Page File: 2641MB Used, 29996MB Available

DirectX Version: 12

• Re: R9 200 series several games crash entire system reboot required
          labosh

also have a similar problem, with an R9 270, I've tested temps on the gpu, cpu, load % isnt quite bottlenecking the cpu (70-90%) psu seems enough, swapped the psu cables around, re-thermaled the cpu, everything seems fine yet the PC can blackscreen (no sound, screen goes into sleepmode) randomly, be it after playing a game for an hour or within 5mins of turning the pc on and leaving it on the desktop, I've honestly spent the whole day, taking apart, clearning, trying different drivers, different games, but still the problem persists which is greatly annoying, cards not overclocked, i underclocked it a little and still caused the same problems, old card goes in and works fine still, so card or driver fault, any help?

thanks....

ripperraw

I have essentially the same issue with the exception that it only happens when I'm playing ARK. Also at this time ARK is no longer Beta so if someone from AMD could respond it would be great. At this point I'm seriously considering not purchasing AMD products on my next build.

arakattack

Oh don't do that, ARK is terribly coded, Studio Wildcard still hasn't

bothered with half the optimizations that even they admit they need to

do because they're too busy trying a cash grab by focusing all their

development on Extinction. If the problem was AMD's end other games

would be doing it, AMD makes a quality product for a good price, and

right now they have the clear lead on Intel, and they're the only

company that cares that the current sales of video cards for bitcoin

miners is hurting gamers, and is trying to solve it instead of cash

grabbing like nVidia.

Check your core temperatures, when I was having this problem, it's

because my cooling block had cracked and was leaking coolant onto the

board, and it slowly spread from only games that pushed my system to the

extreme (ARK) then months later it started to happen in other modern

games. Anything that pushed my system enough to cause the pumps in my

liquid cooler to push harder would get reset.