0 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2016 1:11 PM by morthos

A10-7850K / R7-250 Display Driver Failure

morthos

Since the Crimson release at the end of March I have had several performance issues on some games, especially with Heroes of the Storm. On low settings as an example, the game would start at 25fps or so with a little bit of choppiness and anywhere between 65-80ms ping. The moment I get near heavy activity on screen, the framerate drops to 5fps and the ping climbs steadily upward the more you try to keep moving until it becomes completely unplayable. This didn't start happening until a few weeks ago. - In contrast, my old system my kid uses (Intel Q6600, Nvidia GeForce 790GS) will run the game on low settings at 100fps.

System Specs are:

MSI A88X-G45 Gaming Mobo

AMD A10-7850K

MSI R7-250 OC 2GB

AMD Radeon 2133 DDR3 Ram

Windows 10 - Stabile release

The issue I ran into with the drivers started when I used the cleanup utility to remove all the old drivers. I then shut the system down and removed the 250 card. Rebooted, reset the bios to run off the IGD as primary. When I booted Windows gave it a generic driver. I ran the 16.4.1 crimson install and the display drivers failed to install. I tried it again twice more, same issue. I tried to find some answers online and I couldn't. So I shut it down and dropped the 250 in, turned off the IGD and attempted to install the drivers that way. Same thing, failure. I shut it down, enabled both cartds, set it for dual graphics with the 250 being the primary. When I booted, it failed to display from the 250 even though I set it that way. It was displaying through the IGD.

Then I opened windows update by accident and noticed that it wanted to update both graphics cards through them. So I allowed it install the drivers. Once I did, I suddenly got the option for Radeon Settings. From there I was able to engage the dual display option. So at that point I shut it down and rebooted. Same thing, refused to display through the 250, but would the IDG. So I shut it down, disabled the IDG and setup the 250. This time it would display as it was booting.

Anyway I think you're getting the idea. In the end, I have a system with dual display enabled, that isn't really enabled and still performs just as bad.

Is there some magic sequence of driver installation? I have cleaned up the registry, and all the other BS things people do when tring to make sure life is good. What am I missing?

Message was edited by: JD Figura I've managed to get both adapters working. They are on the March Crimson release. They refuse to update to the April one. It appears that somehow on the March update the processors didn't go to the new drivers but instead were running off MS drivers. To fix I did the following: - Ran the cleanup utility to ditch everything - Set bios for dual graphics because having the standalone card and trying to disable the IGD always reverted to the IGD displaying anyway - Booted up and the windows drivers installed on both adapters. - Uninstalled the IGD in windows which forced the 250 to become the primary card - Was able then to install the March Crimson release successfully - Rebooted the system - IGD then installed Crimson drivers - 250 recognized as primary adapted with the IGD linked Now beyond that, I still do not get anywhere near the same performance as I did with the catalyst drivers which is what I had on the system before the March Crimson. My framerates improved slightly and there is no more induced ping issues on Heroes of the Storm. I used to run this game on Ultra settings and maintained around 50-60 fps while doing so. I still cannot install the latest Crimson. Just refuses. I did try to set a profile in the Radeon settings for Hots, but it was a bit of a fruitless endevour. When I enable the OC Genie on the MSI motherboard, performance reduces. I ran it that way before for more than a year without issue. I guess at this point I am going to try to revert back to Catalyst 15.7 and hope for the best. What's taken place doesn't make a lot of sense.