14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2016 4:14 PM by albertogomes

FX 9590 - CLOCK GOES FROM 4.700 TO 1.300 WHILE GAMMING.

albertogomes

Good evening guys.

As the title says i'm having this issue with my new CPU.

My rig is: CPU: AMD FX 9590;

Watercooler: Corsair H110;

MoBo: AsRock Fatal1ty 970 Performance/3.1 (it supports 220W TDP Processors)

GPU: GeForce 960 2GB Strix;

PSU: Corsair HX650W;

Memory: 16GB - 4x4GB Kingston KVR1333D3N9H/4GB;

Win 7 64 Bits.

Every game that i try to play it starts OK, but suddenly the FPS drops a lot.

As you can see from the image bellow this is my normal FPS now with the new processor and mobo.

http://imgur.com/0eSkV1s

http://imgur.com/owRUEUd

Minutes later this happens

http://imgur.com/eZfzLQn

http://imgur.com/2qZKiC0

As you can see, the clock from my FX 9590 went down to 1.3ish, and i don't know what caused that, after 4~5 segs it goes back to normal FPS and the clock also go back to 4.700.

I've tried disabling Cool'n Quiet, putting energy for maximum performance, etc. Nothing seems to work.

PS: The temperatures are all ok.

PS²: If i put the graphics on low the game doesn't drop FPS.

Any new question about my rig just ask that i'll try to answer as quick as possible.

• Re: FX 9590 - CLOCK GOES FROM 4.700 TO 1.300 WHILE GAMMING.
          techguy

From what I see your CPU temp is reaching 70C under load. 61C is the maximum user temp for the FX-8000/9000 CPUs. When the CPU overheats or the VRM circuit overheats they will drop the CPU frequency to 1.4 GHz. and the vcore down to ~.875v.

The FX-9000 series CPUs are 220w CPUs and as such require very high CPU cooler thermal capacity. Make sure that your cooler is functioning properly and that the CPU other fans are set to 100% or maximum in your mobo BIOS, O/S and software. If the problem still exits you will likely need to switch the fans and have them blow outside air across the radiators and into the case to squeeze a little more cooling out of the H110.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              albertogomes

Ok, which temperature should i be looking for at the HWMonitor?

Because i see that the temperature of my FX 9590 is 49ºC in that image, and the MoBo CPUTIN temperature is going over 70ºC. So the problem is the temperature of the MoBo?

black_zion

The CPU Core Temperature. The VRM cooling on that board isn't the greatest, and personally I wouldn't trust it to run a FX-9000 series, so I agree with qbtheslayer that it is most likely the VRM temperature, especially given the fact that on the CPU support list for that motherboard for all 125w processors ASRock strongly suggests additional cooling for the VRMs.

albertogomes

So, i just wanted to answer to everyone that helped me trying to solve my problem.

I finally solved the problem by changing the voltage at the BIOS.

1. Like you guys said, the problem it was really the temperature, but not the temperature of the processor itself, it was the temperature of  the CPUTIN (still don’t know exactly what it is J, but in HWMonitor it was really hot) that was reaching 70ºC.

I did an UNDERCLOCK and an UNDERVOLT at the BIOS.

First of all, I set the clock of my processor at 4.0MHz, and droped the voltage to 1.315v (If I’m not mistaken) and I did the estability test with the app AMD overdrive and the HWMonitor.

After that I increased little by little the clock and the voltage until I reached a voltage that was stable and the 4.7MHz clock of my processor.

With my processor at 4.7MHz and with a stable Voltage I did another estability test with AMD Overdrive and HWMonitor, so at 100% of usage from all 8 cores the temperature was going up and, eventually it would reach the barrier of 70ºC of the CPUTIN, but I realized that all cores were working at 100%, so I did a real test, playing the games that I like and looking If it would reach high temperatures.

The temperature of that CPUTIN while in game didn’t even reach 60ºC, it was always below 55ºC and the temperature of the CPU was at around 30ºC.

Eventually I’ll buy 5 more fans and install in my case, increasing the air flow, so I can check again to see if using the real voltage the temperature will reach the 70ºC.

So guys, I just want to say thank you for everyone that helped me.

black_zion

Use AIDA64 to monitor the temps so we can get a core temperature. I'm not sure CPUIN is the core temp.

qbtheslayer

I'm betting that the CPUTIN is the Socket Temp or maybe a VRM temp...  what is your case?  How are your cooling fans configured. 

QB

albertogomes

My case isn't the best, Corsair Carbide 400R.

I bought it to support the Corsair Watercooler H110, but i didn't pay attention that it only support the H100 series.

Either way, my case is open, the Fans of the watercooler are instaled outside and on top of it and the radiator is connected to the Fans from the inside.

I don't have aditional fans installed, only the fans that come with the Case and the fans from the Cooler itself.

What i'm scared now it's because i live in a hot city in Brasil and we're not even in summer. O.O. If the problem is temperature, 100% sure it is (1º time trying to build a PC), i probably threw away my money trying to change from Intel to AMD, because this rig won't be able to handle the temperature.

albertogomes

So, i just wanted to answer to everyone that helped me trying to solve my problem.

I finally solved the problem by changing the voltage at the BIOS.

1. Like you guys said, the problem it was really the temperature, but not the temperature of the processor itself, it was the temperature of  the CPUTIN (still don’t know exactly what it is J, but in HWMonitor it was really hot) that was reaching 70ºC.

I did an UNDERCLOCK and an UNDERVOLT at the BIOS.

First of all, I set the clock of my processor at 4.0MHz, and droped the voltage to 1.315v (If I’m not mistaken) and I did the estability test with the app AMD overdrive and the HWMonitor.

After that I increased little by little the clock and the voltage until I reached a voltage that was stable with the 4.7MHz clock of my processor.

With my processor at 4.7MHz and with a stable Voltage I did another estability test with AMD Overdrive and HWMonitor, so at 100% of usage from all 8 cores the temperature was going up and, eventually it would reach the barrier of 70ºC of the CPUTIN, but I realized that all cores were working at 100%, so I did a real test, playing the games that I like and looking If it would reach high temperatures.

The temperature of that CPUTIN while in game didn’t even reach 60ºC, it was always below 55ºC and the temperature of the CPU was at around 30ºC.

Eventually I’ll buy 5 more fans and install in my case, increasing the air flow, so I can check again to see if using the real voltage the temperature will reach the 70ºC.

So guys, I just want to say thank you for everyone that helped me.