16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2016 11:43 AM by venom

Mechanical Keyboards...

iamthesaga

Are they worth the cost?  I have never typed on one but I have been watching YouTube videos and such about them.  What are your thoughts about them?  Do they make that big of a difference over a standard membrane keyboard?

• Re: Mechanical Keyboards...
          tweakzilla

I've got one you barely have to press the keys down before it reads your keystroke pretty fancy tech great for gaming got a Razer without the num-padregret not getting it with one

Looking back to answer your question id say not really I mean you get maybe milliseconds faster then a normal keyboard

I would put more money into a better monitor or PC parts that will make the biggest difference on not only how you enjoy the game but how well you play.

I would wait for one to go on sale if you feel it makes enough of a difference or want to go that extra step to be one keystroke ahead of your friend / enemy.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            william

I never had one and I am perfectly happy with my X years old keyboard. But I want to build a new rig this year and I would probably upgrade even stuff I don't actually need like keyboard, mouse or speakers. That way I could give this whole old computer to my mom which would be more than she will ever need. Time will tell...

I think they look interesting and worth trying out.

savagebeastzero

Hey iamthesaga,

There's most definitely a difference when using a mechanical keyboard that has authentic Cherry MX switches in regards to not only build quality for longer product life cycle, but also in terms of key responsiveness, as well as proper centi-Newton force distribution across the key, whether it be tactile (clicky/Blue's-non-clicky/Brown's) or Linear (Black's, Cherry's) switches. This equates to a much more reliable and predictable keystroke.

Thus why so many people praise them across the net, as the must have input device for both gaming and typing enthusiasts. They really can't be explained fully without one experiencing them personally, but it's not just some unified marketing gimmick like RGB lights (which are nice though). It substantially improves a users experience in multiple ways and due to their reliability, is also a nice investment since they last for much longer than hybrid, imposters or membranes, which justifies the price.

Now, keep in mind that many people who say they've tried/owned mechanical keyboards...aren't, they're using hybrid or imposter switch based keyboards. Many are using imposter (Kaihl) mechanical blue switch based keyboards and they simply can't compare to authentic Cherry MX keys whatsoever. 

Below are companies that provide authentic Cherry MX switch model keyboards

Roccat, Corsair, Ducky, Vortex, MK, Deck, KB Paradise, Tex, G-Skill, Perixx, Gigabyte, Cougar, Das Keyboard, Rosewill, Corn, Func and possibly a few others, I've forgotten about.

Razer? Logitech? Say it ain't so!

Although it might be surprising to not see such famed industry mainstay's such as Logitech, Razer, MadCatz, Thermaltake and Steel Series, this is due to the fact that they all use either some "hybrid" internally developed keyswitch (Junk) or membrane posing as mechanical these days. This is why Razer and Logitech mechanical keyboards have such a massive return rate. Thus why you'll see so many open box or refurbished models that they make, being sold so cheaply on Newegg. So, be warned about those and just stick to authentic Cherry MX key switch based keyboards from reliable manufacturers that were named above.

That's just a basic breakdown, but if you need to ask me anything else about keyboards, feel free to hit me up. I should have the answer for you, no matter what the switch type.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                zerofightersrb

I personally think that they are not worth it, but then again I am some one who would still use his 8 year old keyboard( Genius KB-06x ) if my gf didn't gift me Logitech g410 she got from a giveaway. It is neat to have lights on a keyboard and that it is faster when you press it, but for me personally that is not really necessary to game nor does it really improve much. On the other hand I have seen analog keyboard coming out soon and that seems really worth it!

iamthesaga

Right now I am using a super basic Microsoft keyboard or the laptop's keyboard. I really need to get into a store to test some out.

savagebeastzero

Hey iamthesaga,

Yeah, this is exactly what you need to do. There's nothing like first hand experience when it comes to mechanical keyboards. It will all make sense once you start trying them out personally and noticing the difference between them. Once you do, there will likely be a few that give you a good base line for what you prefer key switch wise. Then it really all comes down to the features, layout and style that most suit you.

Do you have a Best Buy, Micro-Center or NCIX near by where you live?

laminutederire

To sum up what everyone said, they're worth it if you value what they offer. Personnally if feel better typing with my mechanical keyboard, than with my membrane one. It feels more fluid in games as well, but personnally that's not where I see the larger benefit.

I feel more confident typing with a mechanical one, I don't get tired as fast as well, and I type faster with it.

It all comes down to preference, and to the functionalities you want to have with your keyboard. Because if you're in a tight budget you'll have to trade some features  for the mechanical part. The good thing is that anti ghosting and fast response time aren't the thing you're going to trade off. You will have to trade off things like LED back lighting or extensive macro keys for instance.

Good luck and I hope you will be happy with your choice!

iamthesaga

Since I have never even used one before, it's hard to say if I will benefit from it. It might be like one of those things similar to a DVR in my case. Didn't think you would need/want it but once you have it, you can't get rid of it.

laminutederire

Of course, I was like that as well before buying mine. I went to the nearest shop where there were some. (In France, it's mostly present at LDLC) . I tried both mechanical and membrane keyboard to compare the feeling. I spend like 2 hours doing that, and then I made my choice.

What I tried to give you were points to look out for when testing them, to see if you want one.

zealotki11er

I can not see myself using a traditional membrane keyboard anymore. The thing about mechanical keyboard is that there are so many different models. During the past  5 years I have been changing keyboards and mice to find my perfect setup. For keyboard I started with Razer BlackWidow Ultimate and now using Razer BlackWidow Chroma. I still have Logitech G710+, used Logitech G910 , CM Storm TLK. What I have learned I loved Cherry Blue/ Razer (Kail) Green Switch. For gaming I had best performance with G910 Romer G and for general usage G710+ was best overall. I just can't live without the clicky sound of Blues. Here at my location I have a NCIX store where I test different keyboards. That's how I ended up getting Logitech G502 as my main mouse. Price I find is not too bad. You do not need to buy the ones with crazy lights and macro keys. Just get the most basic models. Right now I would get something like G610 form Logitech. Blues and Browns are probably the most mechanical sounding/feeling switches I have tried.

cavemanthe0ne

I have an old WYSE mechanical keyboard that I modded to work over USB and the thing is way better than rubber domes. (Uses Cherry MX blacks). Although, if you can find a good rubber dome keyboard those are good as well.
                              If you can find old IBM keyboards, whether rubber dome or mechanical, they are usually pretty nice as well.

savagebeastzero

Hey cavemanthe0ne

Those old IBM buckling spring key switch keyboards are the best and that's coming from a Cherry switch fanatic! There's a huge restoration market for those, because they're so superior to anything made today by far and out! I remember using those back in the day and typing on those is incomparable. Those things have everything the Cherry's have plus an added resistance that only those key switches can provide. I'm honestly shocked that those haven't been brought back by one of the larger keyboard manufacturers, since the Cherry's came back in style. Once newer generations got their hands on them, they'd sell like mad!

So glad you brought those up, because I haven't thought of those in ages. Now I'm going to have to start searching for a few to restore myself as my next project.