13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2016 4:01 PM by dms-audio

Is there a fix for my sporadically jumping/flickering desktop/screen - Sapphire R9 Nano

nintendoben

I found two videos online of what the issue looks like here:

I just built a brand new computer. I updated the BIOS, installed all of the chipset drivers and finally installed the latest Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.4.1. Once the video driver was installed, the screen jumping issue seen in the above videos started occurring sporadically.

Updates:

• The issue doesn't happen on my Samsung PX2370 Monitor through HDMI.
      • The issue still happens on my Samsung LN-T4665F TV through HDMI.
      • (May 12, 2016) - I recently bought a Club 3D DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 UHD Active Adapter. I tried using one of the DisplayPort connections on the R9 Nano connected to my TV's HDMI port. The effect was essentially the same, but it seemed to be worse. There was more screen tearing. I tried watching Netflix and Netflix (the video feed) actually crashed and displayed a blue screen - which went away when I exited full-screen mode. (Not to be confused with "The Blue Screen of Death").

Notes:

• I have also tried Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.3.2.
      • I have used the AMD's Clean Uninstall Utility found here: AMD Clean Uninstall Utility
      • The video card is plugged into a Samsung LNT-4665f television set using the HDMI output.
      • The issue doesn't occur with the default windows display driver. Only when the AMD driver is installed.
      • The issue doesn't occur when the TV is plugged into the integrated graphics HDMI output.
      • The issue seems to happen less often if you adjust the underscan/overscan setting in Catalyst Control Center towards 15% underscan.

Todo:

• I'm going to try plugging the PC into a different monitor using a display port to DVI adapter.
        • (Done) Tried hooking up the R9 Nano to my monitor via HDMI again, this time it worked! And the issue isn't present.
      • I may try installing an older driver to see if the issue disappears.
      • Contact Sapphire to see if they can provide an updated VBIOS (Suggested by kroms)

Rumors:

• I've researched this for awhile and stumbled across various other flickering issues users have experienced. Some users have reportedly resolved the issue by:
        • Toggling an "Alternate DVI operational mode" setting somewhere in some display options. I haven't seen this setting.
        • Updating your VBIOS using an old ATI VBIOS flash tool. This sounds like a very bad idea, unless it came from Sapphire or another official source like AMD.
      • Installing an older driver won't stop the problem from occurring. Users have reported that once you go forward, that the issue persists if you go back. This sounds like an AMD driver update could include an updated VBIOS and perhaps would not downgrade by simply installing an older driver set. I don't know enough about video driver packages to know if they include BIOS updates or not.
      • Overclocking your video card, core and/or memory may fix the issue. This also sounds like a bad idea.

If anyone has any additional ideas, solutions or fixes, I would very much appreciate and love to hear from you! I'll be happy to entertain any ideas you can come up with.

Thanks for taking the time to read my question!

Ben

PC Details:

• Motherboard: Asus Z170I Pro Gaming
      • Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K
      • Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Nano
      • Power Supply: Corsair SF600
      • RAM: 16GB G-SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 2400