15 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2016 1:28 PM by iamthesaga

Looking for advice for my first build...

iamthesaga

As the title states, I am finally working on building my first rig.  I haven't bought a computer in almost 10 years.  I acquired a Dell XPS 1530 about 7-8 years ago and about 4 years ago I got a small  Toshiba Ultrabook from a friend.  It is time I build my own machine that will hopefully stay with me for a while but I need to do it on a budget.  If you see my build I plan on getting, some stuff I already have but some I need to get.  I don't know about the GPU quality as it was just mentioned from a friend that he would give it to me.  My plans is to have an all around "good" machine.  I will do gaming, music production/recording, some video work as well as working with Hyper-V and such on it.  Any advice on what my plans are would be appreciated.

Specifications

CPU*AMD FX-8730
      Cooler*AMD Wraith Cooler
      Motherboard*ASRock Fatal1ty 970
      Memory16 GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3
      GraphicsOld 9800GT (hand me down)
      Disc Drive 1*Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
      Disc Drive 2Western Digital 500GB Blue HDD
      Disc Drive 3{drive3}
      PSU*Corsair CX600M 600 Watt
      Case*Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-02 Redshift ATX Special Edition Gaming Case w/ Red LED Fans
      MonitorOld 20" Acer (VGA only)

* Still Needed

• Re: Looking for advice for my first build...
          venom

What About DDR4,HDD 1TB and VisionTek R9 380?

iamthesaga

I didn't think the AM3+ supported DDR4...maybe I'm wrong.  I technically have 2 500GB HDDs that I was thinking of doing a RAID array with.  I am also unsure of the GPU.  It might have to come later since it is so much more than what I will have to spend.  Everything I listed that I need will be about $450.  I also don't have an HD monitor either (1600x900).  I might be able to get a 22" 1920x1080 used from a friend but I am still unsure.

william

iamthesaga I am no expert in computer hardware but I have some suggestions for you.

I would recommend you to switch SSD for one of Crucial models. They are cheaper and the quality is still great it would allow you to spend some more on other components. It depends on your usecases but if you are willing to have some slower storage than you can even run on regular HDD but the whole system would feel slower like when booting up, copying files and so on.

Next I would probably switch FX CPU for A10 APU if you want to be able to do some light gaming on your system. 9800GT is if I am not mistaking DX10 card and the APU would have superior performance compared to that old card. Its cheaper and would have lower power requirements so you would save some bucks on you bills down the line.

Also I would probably switch PSU for something different. You definitely don't need 600W PSU for your system, even 300W - 400W quality PSU would be more than enough. It would be smart to spend some more on PSU because it could last you many years and bad PSU could kill your whole system. As a rule of a thumb is that PSU which have Japanese capacitors is quality one but its not 100% of cases. In general brands like Seasonic, BeQuiet, XFX are great but it depends more on individual model than on brand.

As venom said R9 380 would be excellent choice if you want to game on your system. The performance would be GREAT. I mean really great compared to APU solution, you would be able to play modern games at 1080p without any problems. R9 380 is great card for a good price.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  iamthesaga

Probably a good call on the SSD.  When I was comparing the Crucial MX line to the EVO from Samsung.  Price was similar but Samsung had a 5 year warranty so it swayed my vote.  Going with a BX from Crucial will save me $20 bucks and I most likely won't notice a difference in speed since I won't be using both side by side.  Defiantly faster than a HDD.

I think I am set on the FX processor as I want a bit more flexibility in what I intend on using it for.  Going with the 8 cores over the 4 core A10 version seems to be a bit more "future proof" to me...or am I crazy?  Since I don't purchase or upgrade often, I was looking at something near top end but have a good price to performance aspect to it.

Also, with the PSU, would it be better to get something with a bit higher wattage to avoid being under powered with anything added in the future?  I was also making sure it was some form of 80 Plus Certified (just to have a bit more ease of mind).  I agree with you on that it can single handed destroy you system so is there a particular model you recommend?  The 430w version of the same model I'm looking at is 10 less.

william

Well it depends on what you want your system use for. I would personally choose that APU but it's your call.

The wattage on PSU is mostly irrelevant. Your computer would run without any problems on 300W. Probably even less considered you have old GPU. There are calculators which can tell you what is to be expected in terms of power draw of your system but they most of the time will suggest you a bit higher value just to be on the safe side.

Also you can find on youtube many videos about actual power draw of systems under heavy load and recommendations about PSU units. I would personally go with something around 500W which would be enough for more or less any single GPU setup currently available. The hardware is getting more and more power effective each year so it should stay that way.

There are many benchmarking sites which will tell you if a particular model of specified brand is any good. Take a look at this one for example which could help you a bit http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

iamthesaga

Maybe I will be super fortunate and lucky and win that GPU the community is giving away.  I'm not that lucky but I try.

jamesc359

My advice is stick to your guns on the FX chip. The A series is great for what it is, but the FX is a lot nicer.

Crucial SSDs are nice and rugged, they won't win any races, but odds are pretty good you'll never notice the difference.

A 600W power supply is perfect for even the most gluttonous of video cards. The only reason you'd want more is if you were going to Crossfire two or more cards or do some serious overclocking. Corsair makes good power supplies so you can't go wrong there. If you want to buy a better video card in the future don't skimp out on the power supply now. Anything more than 600W in your case would likely end up being overkill, anything less and there's a chance you won't be able to run that power hungry video card you so desperately want a year or so from now.

Are you going to store data/games on the SSD or just use it as a boot drive? If you're just going to boot off of it then you could easily get by with a 120GB model. Right now I'm only using 45GBs on my SSD with Windows 10 and all my programs installed. (I don't install games or store any of my data on it though.) YMMV

SSDs have seen some huge discounts over the past few months. I'd suggest keeping an eye out for one of Newegg's sales.

Take your friend up on his offer for the video card and save your money for something better down the line. It's not going to be brilliant for a lot of things, but trust me you'll be even more disappointed in an integrated GPU. And at least if you take your friends card you can save some money towards a new video card and you get your FX chip too.

Why did you settle on the Fatal1ty motherboard?  If you're never going to crossfire, would a uATX board suffice?

The FX-8370 is not a significant improvement over the FX-8350. You could get the FX-8350, buy an aftermarket cooler (Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus/Evo perhaps) and save $20-$30. Edit: Just make sure that your cooler will clear your RAM of choice.

iamthesaga

Thanks for the advice. As far as the MoBo, it seemed to have good features at the price. I have been pricing out everything from Microcenter.com which has better prices than most of Newegg and is even local to me. FX8370 with Wraith Cooler is $179 vs $209 at most places. They even do discounts with a MoBo purchase and save an extra $40 off of the board. The ASRock seems OK in my opinion. I do want to keep my options open though.

benman2785

https://geizhals.eu/?cat=WL-657301 = 1000€ (1150USD - but i think hardware is little cheaper in US) Rig with FreeSync-Screen // you can swith your CPU and Mainboard (maybe a 990FX, like a MSI 990FXA-GD65)  and maybe double the RAM to 16GB, but until now its best-bang-for-bucks

OR

you wait until late october and buy some nice AMD Zen + Fury (X) + 16-32GB DDR4 (but that would cost at least twice as much)

shahnewaz

Could you tell us your budget and location?

And what sort of games will you play? And what resolution would you play them at?

iamthesaga

I already purchased my components last week.  You can see the final build here.

The Saga's Rig

I don't play many games as I can't afford them.  Especially the new ones.  I have been starting out playing CS:GO as of late.  It plays fine on my system.  I would love to get a new GPU eventually once I can get enough saved up but that usually takes me a very long time.  I would also want a new monitor as what I have is an old Acer using VGA only and runs native at 1680x1050.

stoggy28

Im a huge advocate for the EVGA G2 PSU line theyre great quality and almost platinum certified if you look at the specs they dont run very expensive i think 69 for 550 79 for 650 89 for 750 with a 7-10 yr warranty

iamthesaga

I have heard good things about EVGA.  I got a base Corsair CX600 for around $65.  It is at least Bronze certified.  I was on a very tight budget and wanted to put the money in the CPU.  If you see the rig I created, I got all of it thanks to some donations of the RAM, optical drive, GPU and HDDs for $440 out the door.  I paid for the case, MoBo, CPU, SSD and PSU.  Not bad in my opinion.  I had to make some sacrifices in some places but changed some things a round from my original plans.  Love my system so far but trying to run better games just won't play.