6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2016 2:20 PM by gajbooks

Firefox locked to power saving mode

gajbooks

Now, this may sound silly and that Firefox should be on power saving to, well, save power. However, Intel has absolutely horrible video acceleration which causes my CPU usage to skyrocket when running 1080p YouTube videos. There are large circuits built into AMD gpus to save power and decode video faster, but AMD won't let me use them!

In Catalyst Control Center, Firefox and many other apps that could benefit from GPU video decoding, like VLC, are locked to Intel power saving mode. Is there any way around these restrictions besides disabling my integrated graphics in the BIOS?

• Re: Firefox locked to power saving mode
          venom

Try Chrome or Opera,i am using Chrome and watching 1080p videos no problem at all

gajbooks

That isn't really an answer. If I wanted to use Chrome I'd be using Chrome, and I don't really have a high opinion of Opera. I prefer the Firefox plugins and clean design.

kingfish

AMD has nothing to do with it. You elected to buy a laptop. Laptops have been designed to save power. The manufacturer of the laptop designed the switchable graphics program. They built it so the power saving mode is applied as default in certain instances, ie., websurfing and any 2D applications (as well as any OGL applications). You have the option of enabling or disabling hardware acceleration in your browser or directly in the video you are watching. Just right click on the video that's playing and choose whether to use hardware or software rendering, CPU or AVG. Unless you have a ancient laptop with a ancient Intel graphics IGP...Intel has great graphics acceleration.

gajbooks

I really wish you wouldn't act so pretentious. I'm using the AMD generic laptop drivers, not some stupid manufacturer specific ones. I have enabled GPU acceleration in Firefox and double checked several times. I have the newest Intel drivers as well. What I'm trying to say, is that in this case, FORCING POWER SAVING USES MORE POWER AND I WANT TO DISABLE IT. I also have a desktop, in case you were not aware. It's rather difficult to carry a 30 Lb, $1000 desktop PC around, and even harder to power it without a wall socket. Also, the desktop with Nvidia graphics and the Intel ones deactivated uses approximately 2% CPU when running the same video, instead of 60% plus the power consumed by the fan that my laptop uses. Also, only using Flash Player can you right click and enable acceleration, not HTML5.