5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2016 10:21 AM by zerowalker

AMD R9 380 Crashing In DX10+

jbjba1234

I currently have an R9 380 GPU, and now any game in DirectX10 (Such as GTA V and Victor Vran) or newer crashes to a black screen, DirectX9 Games (Such as Payday2) and my monitor just says "no signal", on EXTREMELY rare occassions, my computer manages to recover, and tells me that my AMD Graphics Drivers have crashed but managed to recover, i currently have crimson 16.3.2 installed, my specs are as follows
      -AMD R9 380 4GB GDDR5
      -8GB DDR3

-Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3-A
      -i5 4760
      -EVGA SuperNova 650 G1 80+ Gold 650W

Any Support would be appreciated, thank you

• Re: AMD R9 380 Crashing In DX10+
          amdmatt

This is an issue which is under investigation, we hope to address it in a future driver. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

faisal6309

I am not playing games. I am not even doing anything that will take a lot of system resources. It just keep crashing. I have crimson 16.3.2 installed too.

getlogan

When playing the System Shock demo for a few minutes the monitor will lose signal and display a black screen. A stuttering sound can be heard in the background on loop and the only way to recover from this crash is a hard reset of the computer. Upon restarting the computer and checking event viewer a log of the crash can be seen.

EventID: 4101

Source: Display

Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

I used to get the black screen crash on many other directx11 games (never had it on directx9 games), such as GTA5, Rainbow Six Siege, Satellite Reign, Unreal Tournament (the new one). However ever since a new driver released around April, at least for me, crashes in those games seem to be fixed as I have never encountered them again. System Shock is currently the only game I know of that still suffers from the same problem. I also get the same black screen issue with the Dolphin 5.0 emulator running with DX12 renderer and when playing movies in Media Player Classic using the MadVR renderer. Also graphics settings, resolution, windowed or fullscreen, refresh rate, FreeSync, tesselation, monitor, cable and port type, etc, does not matter as different combinations do not resolve the issue. Problem is a driver issue as it has been fixed in the past for other games.

My specs:

Core i7 6700k (stock, never been overclocked)

Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB)

Asus Maximus VIII Hero (BIOS 1701, current latest)

Seasonic XP-860 Platinum 860W Power Supply V2

Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro Dual-X 4GB (stock, never been overclocked)

using Crimson 16.7.2 WHQL (shows as 16.7.3 in Radeon Settings Overview, installed after using DDU 16.1.0.1 in safe mode, Gaming Evolved NOT installed)

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Monitor (single monitor tested individually, crashes occur on either):

Benq XL2730Z using DisplayPort (2560x1440, 144hz, FreeSync)

Benq V2400W using DVI (1920x1200, 60hz, non-FreeSync)

getlogan

Crimson driver 16.7.3 is an improvement for me.

The System Shock demo still crashes. However, instead of getting the usual no signal black screen crash, now the game just crashes and I can continue using Windows without a hard reset.

Same thing for Media Player Classic with madVR renderer. I still get a crash, but now I am able to alt-f4 to close the crashed Media Player Classic and continue using windows without a hard reset.

Dolphin 5.0 emulator now seems to work without crashing using the DX12 renderer.

Not sure if the crashes are a problem with the applications or display drivers, but I'm glad now the crashes don't stall the entire system.

zerowalker

I just started playing Victor Vran and i get "Display Driver Stopped Working", i was able to get out of the game the first time, but the second time ended with stuck black screen.

I use 16.7.3 Crimson:(

AMD R9 380.