13 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2016 3:28 AM by ex_soldier523

R9 380x Black Screen + Windows 10 Spinning Dots Help

lantzk

Hi all,

I just built a system on Saturday with Sapphire's R9 380x and I've been having the same "black screen" driver problem that I've seen reported here and elsewhere. I'm using the 16.15.xx drivers -- it looks like AMD is aware of the issue (and are working on it) so I'm not too concerned about that in itself.

However, I just had a black screen crash (within 30 seconds of starting up the Witcher 3) that I cannot boot back from. I get the classic Windows 10 spinning dots after every single restart. It doesn't keep on going and going however, after a few minutes of white dots, I get the black screen crash and the computer has to be rebooted again (if I'm to have the pleasure of seeing the spinning white dots). I've tried using a repair disk, but to no avail. I've also run scannow and bootrec with no success.

I'm hoping that people here might have some suggestions. Next, I'm probably going to try removing the R9 380x and seeing if I can boot without it. Last resort would probably be completely reinstalling Windows -- it's a new system, but I did just finish migrating everything over, so it'd still be a pain.

Here's my system:

Windows 10 Home 64

Asus Z170M-Plus

Intel i5-6600k w/ Corsair H60

Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16Gb (3200)

Samsung Evo 850 500Gb (M.2)

Sapphire Nitro R9 380X 4Gb

Asus DVD-RW

TP-Link N900 Wireless Adapter

EVGA 750 G2

I'll check forum rules in a second to see if I'm missing any required information.

Thanks!

• Re: R9 380x Black Screen + Windows 10 Spinning Dots Help
          amdmatt

Can you try downloading DDU and running it in safe mode to uninstall the drivers that way?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              lantzk

If there's a next time, I'll try that. I ended up reinstalling Windows 10 after I couldn't get anything else to work. Ah well.

I've googled around and I'm wondering if there are any recommended settings that will minimize the black screen crash? (I'm willing to try a lot, and I understand that any recommendation at this stage probably wouldn't be an official one). I've seen some people suggest undervolting/clocking the R9 380, but I've also seen people suggest overvolting it -- so I get the sense that it might just be a lot of confirmation bias. I've turned off power efficiency, and I'll report back if that seems particularly helpful.

Thanks!

lantzk

It happened again. :/

I'll try booting in safe mode and using DDU.

lantzk

Sigh. I also cannot figure out how to boot into Safe Mode -- so if someone could help with that, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I've tried bcdedit, but I can't get it to work for some reason. I keep on getting "The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The requested system device cannot be found."

I'm really not sure why this is suddenly a problem. I've had the black screen crash more than a dozen times in the last few days and I was always able to boot back from it. Now I can't even do that!

lantzk

Okay, I figured out how to get into safe mode (had to use bcdedit to change the default timeout from 0 -- I think that's what did it). Now, however, I'm unsure what to do. I've uninstalled the AMD drivers using DDU, but that won't let me boot into Windows 10 normally, I just get the spinning dots again.

Interestingly, when I try to install new Radeon drivers in Safe Mode I get this error, "Detection drive error. Contact AMD for assistance." I used CCleaner to get rid of some dangling AMD registry entries, but that hasn't fixed the issue either. I also deleted the C:\AMD folder, but that didn't do anything. I'm guessing there are some services I could start to make this work in Safe Mode, but I also don't know if installing a new driver in Safe Mode will fix this.

My goal right now is to figure out how to boot back into Windows 10 without having to reinstall the whole OS like I did earlier. Flipping through the event logs, this one stands out (typed, by the way -- it's so great how my wireless doesn't work in safe mode edit: wifi working now):

Faulting application name: RadeonSettings.exe, version: 10.1.1.1622, time stamp: 0x5701e5ac

Faulting module name: atidxx64.dll, version: 8.17.10.661, time stamp: 0x5701c7d5

Exception code: 0xc00000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000055132f

Faulting process id: 0x3f8

Faulting application start time: 0x01d194c7aa9d97e6

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\RadeonSettings.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\atidxx64.dll

Report Id: 02f92761-fb71-41fc-9e1f-cbc38d21375b

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

lantzk

Boot log for the a failed boot into Windows 10 -- looks like something weird is going on with the Intel chipset. I'll try new drivers for the chipset and see what happens.

lantzk

Okay, I can say, without a doubt, that the failure of Windows 10 to boot after the black screen crash had to with the Windows "Credential Manager" service. I have no idea why. I hope that this information is helpful in some way.

Edit: To be clear, I can load Windows now, and I have installed a new driver for my R9 380x. If I enable the Credential Manager service, Windows will get stuck at an infinite loading screen. I'm not sure why this service ended up being the culprit after the black screen driver crash, as I never had that problem before.

ex_soldier523

I was getting a lot of problems on Dark Souls 3 with Crimson Drivers, so I went back do Catalyst 15.11.1 and eveything is perfect now. But one interesting thing is, With Win 10 64 bit I was having black screen issues with Shadow of Mordor, Ark Survival, Ryse son of Rome, no matter what driver I was using, the only fix was going back to Windows 8.1 64 bit and Catalyst 15.11.1, I tried Catalyst 15.7.1 but Assassins Creed Syndicate won't start with that driver.

The most stable combination I found until now is Win 8.1 64 bit + Catalyst 15.11.1.

My Specs are:

CPU: FX 8370e @stock

GPU: Sapphire R9 380 4 GB

MEM: 2x Kingston Hyperx 1866 mhz

MB: GA 990 FXA UD3

Driver: Catalyst 15.11.1

1 of 1 people found this helpful