ruissilva23

I´m using:

Laptop Hp Pavilion (15-n250sp)

AMD A4-5000 APU HD Graphics (1.50 GHz)

4 GB RAM

Integrated Graphics Card: Radeon 8330 HD

Other Card: Radeon 8670M HD

I'm running Windows 8.1 64 bits

After the last update (16.4 Crimson) the screen went black with no response. I ended up rebooting windows completly and reinstalling the drivers (after doing all windows updates and installing latest Net Framework) and the same issue ocurred.

Right now the only drivers that work are the ones I downloaded from the Hp site with are version 13.251.3.0 (the CCC version is 2013.1211.1508.27115).

I've tried using the uninstall utility, rebooting and reinstalling, but the same thing happened.

I've ran several programs hoping it was some corrupted files but nothing showed up.

Also, if i don't reboot after installing the drivers, the Radeon 8330 card shows error 43, and when I try to open Radeon Settings a message appears saying that no driver are installed or that they aren't compatible.

PS: I've always use the Auto detect to install the drivers.

Could this be a hardware issue?

• Re: Black Screen After Latest Driver Update
          buster

Myself and others have found that the 16.2.1 seems to be the latest driver that works

ruissilva23

So here's what i did:

Uninstalled the drivers that i had and catalyst via the control panel

Reboot

Ran DDU in safe mode

Reboot

Ran the AMD Cleanup Utiliy in safe mode

Reboot

Then when I went to install version 16.2.1 (also in safe mode) I got an error that said 'error in the detection driver, please contact AMD for assistence'

I don't know what else to do, please help.

colesdav

Hello,

I own a first Gen HP Envy 15, and also a family member has an  HP G62.

My experience, in the past, has been that you update video drivers on HP laptop with great caution.

I believe HP, at least in the past,  'modify' the video drivers in some way.

This means that if you are looking for a Video Driver for your HP Laptop the first place you go is to the product support page for your HP Laptop:

I am not sure which country you are from, however here is the US page:

HP Pavilion 15-n250sp Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR) Drivers and Downloads | HP® Customer Support

Direct link to the Drivers page is here:

HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support

The video drivers on this page are your only choice of driver you can use which will download, and update correctly without
              the possibility of you ending up with a 'Black Screened' laptop.

How do I know this?

Sorry the following is a bit long but hopefully it will make you laugh at my 'misfortune'. I laugh at it now. It was not funny at the time though.

Well I tried to 'Upgrade' my Hp Envy 15 from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and, although I got to the stage of Installing the Windows 8 Update, and was approaching the final stages of the installation, and was starting to get 'Tech Happy' ...  Then my HP Envy 15 screen went black!   Noooooooo!

No Screen, no video out from the HDMI port. Nothing. Bricked.

Windows 8 had 'automatically' found and downloaded and installed the latest compatible AMD Video Driver for the GPU on my Laptop from I guess, AMD website.

However, what it should have done was gone to the HP Web site and looked for the latest available and approved HP driver and installed that.

There is a workaround that can be done to get Windows 8 installed on a virtual machine representation of the HP Envy 15, then install the HP Graphics Card Driver on the Virtual Machine, then Clone the Virtual Machine Hard Drive onto your Laptop Hard Drive.

I did it and and it actually works!.... 'Tech Happy' again ...

I had a working HP Envy 15 on Windows 8 with the HP approved Graphics Drivers installed.

Everything was fine until I forgot to switch off automatic Windows Update one day and it decided to install the latest AMD Video Driver... Back to square one.  Black Screen. Bricked Laptop.

It's fine though. After that I stayed on Windows 7. I think it turned out o.k. in the end.

My HP Envy 15 Laptop (I call it Steve, it has been heavily 'modded') continued to work happily until last year, when the Motherboard finally failed.

However. 'We can rebuild him'. I have my HP Envy 15 sitting in front of me at  present and I am about to put it back together.

I will be looking into the Video Drivers issue again as I might attempt a Windows 8.1 installation on a new SSD once I know the replacement motherboard works.

There was a post that I found where someone worked out a 'Hack' to make the latest AMD driver work on the HP Envy 15.

I will search my Bookmarks for you and see if I can find the post.

It might help.

Good Luck.

Bye

colesdav

ruissilva23

First of all, thanks for replying.

16.2.1 didn't work, I installed it and I got the same result, Radeon 8330 stopped working (error 43), and when I tried to Crimson I got : 'The drivers are not install or not correctly working' after i just installed them.

The drivers on the HP site are super outdated (from 2013 lol), and are the ones i've got right now (running with no problems).

Everything was working fine untill the last update, am I suposed to just use old drivers forever? ( This sucks, I can't run any games whatsoever).

ruissilva23

Hello, this is most likely a hardware issue, I'm going to send the laptop for a diagnosis and to get fixed.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

colesdav

Did you reload the drivers from HP and did the laptop work again?

If so I do not think it is your hardware.

Good luck anyhow.

I will look for the Hack to the drivers I mentioned above and post it here when I find it just in case you need it.

Bye

colesdav.

scmustang23

I have a very similar (read same) issue. Will post more information once I can boot into my machine!

• Dell Optiplex XE (2010) (obviously not a hardcore gamer, just need a PC to practice my flying on and, until yesterday, this rig has worked flawlessly with new Q9300 and Radeon 7950)
                      • Intel Q9300
                      • 8 GB DDR3 RAM
                      • Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 (single monitor, LG 49" 4K TV, HDMI-out)

Hadn't started my machine in 3 weeks (as of yesterday, 4/20/2016) and hadn't connected to the internet since then, either. BUT, I do have auto updates turned on. Fired up Flight Simulator X and started a 2 hour flight. 1 hour in, screen turned blue and white checkered and audio went to terrible droning sound. Rebooted machine. Showed the windows logo on black backdrop "starting Windows" then goes to black screen and no sound. Went into Safe Mode, deleted driver, deleted everything AMD/ATI, reinstalled drivers from disk (15.x) and it worked for about 15 minutes. Went into Crimson Settings and clicked "update". As soon as the update (16.x) installed, it rebooted and did the black screen thing again. This time, uninstalled everything using IObit Uninstaller and wiped out all the ATI/AMD/Raptr/Vulkan folders in Programs Files. Reinstalled from disk. This time, it would not boot again. As soon as I delete all AMD drivers, I can boot into Windows 7 just fine (not Safe Mode, but regular boot), but no AMD software/settings.

Contacted Sapphire support and they said they believe my GPU is bad. However:

1. I have had this GPU since Christmas.
                      2. It works perfectly fine in Safe Mode.
                      3. After reinstalling drivers 1st time, it worked wonderfully.
                      4. I can see BIOS splash and "Starting Windows" black screen with logo, so this doesn't sound like bad GPU to me...

ANY guidance would be so appreciated! Yes, my GPU is under warranty, but I don't think replacing will solve this issue.

colesdav

I think Sapphire make really high quality cards. You said you have had this card since Christmas. I note it is an HD 7950 though.

That's quite an old spec. How old is the card?

If I were you I would check the Windows installation. I recommend you run a full system image backup to an external backup drive before you make any

further changes. Otherwise if something goes wrong with your installation you could end up in a "world of pain".

Are you sure your Windows installation is clean, before you install drivers? 

I mean have you run chkdsk, chkdsk /scan, sfc /scannow / DISM type checks (I am talking Windows 8.1 can't remember exact Win 7 commands just now).

Have you tried looking at the Windows Update History and removing all updates to the point when your machine was stable previously?

On that note - You should have a System restore point available to take you back to the point prior to the previous windows update. That might get you back to when your PC was working originally. If that doesn't work I would go back to my last full working backup.

I also recommend you turn off Windows Autoamtic updating if you have Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 At the very least that will avoid attempts to update your PC to Windows 10. If I were you I would also be checking exactly what every single Windows Update is supposed to be doing, especially if you value your privacy at all.

Once you have double checked your windows installation is clean and get back to where you were a few weeks ago, then you can do further debug and start to look into other possible issues.

Hope this helps.

colesdav.

amdmatt

We would like to check your Windows Device Driver Install log to see if there are any errors. Please can you attach the following log to your response? "C:\Windows\INF\setupapi.dev.log" 

Thanks.

amdmatt

Please can you try a manual inf installation of the drivers via Device Manager to see if that installs correctly?

1. Download Crimson 16.6.1

2. Navigate to Device Manager > Displays > Driver and click Update Driver

3.  Select Browse My Computer and Browse again, then select the Crimson 16.6.1 downloaded file and click Okay

4. Device Manager should not install the display driver

maxhardy

My laptop intel i5 not switchable + amd radeon hd 7650m  2GB GPU i update Crimson then issue

started black screen on windows logon. then i clean the hard-disk ,installed new OS windows 8,8.1,10

when i try install any official stock catalyst or crimson ,DDU,amdcleaneruntlity,registry cleaner.

while installing display driver issue with black screen crash and some time mouse is showing flickering .....

i try many driver version not able install stuck or freezing..after only way hard shutdown

then i try uninstall amd display driver on safe mode then it able to login normal with Basic display adapter.

now unable to install any amd display driver for GPU it useless...

i have no found any solution in forums .

finally i find the fix for my laptop  Amd HD 7650M 2GB + i5 intel

a.black screen issue when logon and b.installation black screen issue

1st try with hdmi / vga connected second monitor then try to install  or try to turn on laptop still issue persists

it a hardware failure gpu dead.try below step it worked for me.

1. need "air heat gun" and "heat thermal paste".

2. disassemble laptop fully.

3.remove heat sink with fan from motherboard clean the fan dust if your have and now able to find chip process and AMD  Gpu in laptop.

4.read the chip which one is GPU and take "air heat gun" blow up-to 5 to 10 min then wait to cool 30 min don't touch chip.

5.put the thermal paste on both intel proccess + amd gpu chip place the heat sink carefully.and assemble your laptop

6. turn on  install any catalyst driver .i have install 15.11 catalyst  (don't install crimson driver it burn your GPU)

and enjoy

it working fine for me...

this very risk i have sony laptop the company is closed . i have no choice to service. i done by myself.

it help someone keep try any dead gpu and black screen issue