14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2016 10:03 AM by qbtheslayer

Can a noctua nh-d15 cool a amd fx 9590?

kyloren

Just wondering.

• Re: Can a noctua nh-d15 cool a amd fx 9590?
          black_zion

No, the FX-9000 series requires liquid cooling.

AMD FX™ 9000 Series Processor System Requirements

The AMD FX™ 9000 Series processors feature a 220 Watt TDP and have three unique requirements:

1) A robust CPU liquid cooling system. The Antec Kuhler H20 925, Cooler Master Nepton 120XL, and Corsair H80i are examples of products with sufficient cooling capacity.

2) A socket AM3+ motherboard that supports processors with a 220 Watt TDP. As of September 15, 2015, the compatible motherboard list is as follows:

3) Chassis exhaust fan mounted near the motherboard VRM components with at least 35CFM of air flow capacity 

4 of 4 people found this helpful
              kyloren

Going with the h80i, Appreciate the help.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  techguy

Liquid cooling is NOT a requirement for an FX-9000 series CPU. AMD recommends a liquid cooler sufficient to cool the 220W FX-9000 series CPUs but high end tower style coolers also meet the requirements unless your ambient room temp is continuously >85 F. This has been discussed in numerous threads here. As a reference point the top 6-7 tower style HSFs have sufficient cooling capacity for any AMD FX processor. You might find some very useful info. in the other threads.

FX 9590 Air Cooled

FX 9590 FREEZ─░NG... PLS HELP :(

qbtheslayer

H80i is a wonderful cooler.  Works exceedingly well on quiet.  I have used mine on an FX-8350 for years with a motherboard that was poorly designed for FX processors, and because of this I have to run much hotter (i.e. a lot more voltage) just to maintain stability (due to severe v-droop).  H80i is still extremely quiet and very cool.

QB

black_zion

Not to mention the Corsair H80i V2 is only $86, while the 220w capable CoolerMaster V8 GTS is $89.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                        black_zion

Agreed, the H115i has a 280mm radiator vs a 240mm on the H105, as well as a few more bells and whistles like the Corsair Link, but considering the power of the H105 and it's ability to easily keep the much hotter running overclocked Haswell i7 chips at 80°C under power virus conditions, I would say the extra $43 premium for the H115i keeps it out of consideration for now. That, and considering how much of a pain in the behind my H105 was to install in my Corsair C70 case, I'm not sure I'd want the headaches of a 280mm (the C70 can mount a 120, 240, or 280mm radiator on the top), though I have two optical drives which cramped space a bit (can't wait for full speed self powered USB-C drives so I can remove them).

Corsair does carry the best warranty on their units, covering all damage in the [b][i][u]very rare[/b][/i][/u] case of a leak.

black_zion

I ran a 20 minute CPU FPU and Cache stress from AIDA64 (temperatures leveled out long before then), with ambient temperatures of 21°C. My H105 draws hot air from inside the case and pushes it out through the top. The H105 pump is connected to the CPU header (hence the values). Both radiator fans are connected to Chassis 2 (via supplied 4 pin PWM splitter). That is the power of "thermally inefficient" liquid cooling, and the sound of silence.

Stats.png

aida.PNG

qbtheslayer

LOL...  this is a perfect time to post this...  I am still struggling to find stability with this "POS" GA-990FXA-UD7 rev 1.0 motherboard and my 4x2GB Mushkin Blackline 2000 Mhz (7-10-8-27-8) so I am currently running Prime95.  Here is what the "thermal inefficiency" of my H80i does after 9.5 hours...  Oh yeah, and I can barely hear the fans.

rkXmyl5.png

QB

techguy

The reason why the AMD product personnel were unhappy with the HSFs they tested is because they are using an ambient temp of 40C which no one has for a typical room temp. I understand that the AMD CPU cooler test is extreme and NOT representative of what most AMD users experience, but AMD uses this unusually high test temp in case someone in a desert location somewhere in the world has 104F room temps. The fact that AMD product management never tested any of the HSFs that have far more cooling capacity than 220W, such as the top 6-7 AMD HSFs listed on FrostyTech, its why they didn't find HSFs that are fully capable of cooling all FX-9000 series CPUs.

As noted by myself and other people here who have real world experience in cooling the FX-8000/9000 CPUs, the top 6-7 AMD coolers listed on the FrostyTech website are fully capable of cooling any 8-core FX CPU. With all of the indisputable liabilities and shortcomings of liquid coolers, it's unwise for AMD to recommend let alone REQUIRE liquid coolers due to the documented damage these coolers have caused many PC users for years. It would be more appropriate for AMD to perform CPU cooler test at a more realistic 85F which is a very uncomfortably high ambient room temp for most people.

I understand that AMD listed the so called "Requirements" online for the FX-9000 series CPUs which of course are unenforceable and not stated in the product info. or warranty, because many AMD customers did not understand they need a high quality HSF to properly cool a 220w CPU. It would be more appropriate to educate AMD consumers on the need for a high end tower style cooler instead of requiring then to use a thermally inefficient and liability prone liquid cooler. I think what AMD has listed as "requirements" are better stated officially as "recommendations" due to the legal issues involved. I'm sure AMD doesn't want to be responsible for PC damage caused by mandating AMD customers use liquid coolers when numerous HSFs have been proven to properly cool FX-9000 series CPUs. The objective of AMD's CPU cooler testing should be to quantify what cooling is required for the masses not for some hypothetical situation with an ambient room temp of 104F. I don't think you'll find many people in the world using 104F room temps and AMD processors. By not clarifying the situation and just stating that a liquid cooler is mandatory, creates misleading information for AMD customers as it's been proven that the top 6-7 HSFs listed on FrostyTech and elsewhere out perform many liquid coolers and keep all FX-8000/9000 AMD CPUs within the specified 61C temp. AMD product management needs to revise the inappropriate requirement that a liquid cooler must be used on FX-9000 series CPUs.

kingfish

The fact of the matter is this, no matter what the ambient temperature the tests were done with, it is common sense to test in extreme conditions. If a liquid cooler can keep a graphics card cool at extreme temperatures, then AMD can feel sure it products will function properly anywhere in the world. Visit Texas in August when it's 106deg. Since I am not obsessed with proving my point, I am surprised anyone would even bring it up. Every major automobile manufacturer (BMW has a video), tire manufacturer, air conditioning manufacturer and hundreds more (dealing with heat) use the testing facilities of the US Forest Service in Death Valley because of it's extreme temperatures. It's become a big business with 2 week permits hard to get. Weakness show up there and not after it's on the market. But, the good thing about the forum is everybody has the right to their opinion. Hopefully, readers can separate the wheat from the chaff and prejudiced opinions.

qbtheslayer

techguy wrote:

...the top 6-7 AMD coolers listed on the FrostyTech website are fully capable of cooling any 8-core FX CPU. With all of the indisputable liabilities and shortcomings of liquid coolers...

...liability prone liquid cooler...

I've got a task for you.  How about you list some easily accessible vendors for the "top 6-7" tower HSF's, you know like Newegg or any other vendor that most people can buy from with ease.  Post links to those please.  I am now really scared about having this ticking time bomb in my computer and want to price shop for those "top 6-7"

And speaking about links, how about you post links to all of these cases where Liquid CLC's leak...  I'm curious and want to read more..." liability prone liquid cooler" really scares the be-jeebus out of me, and I'm wondering when my H80i is going to kill all the rest of my gear in my enclosure.

QB

kyloren

Appreciate all the help guys.

black_zion

If your case can handle a 240mm radiator, I would step up to the Corsair H105. The double radiator length means you can spin the fans slower for better acoustics while keeping it under 55*C, and the price difference is low.

techguy

I'd recommend performing due diligence by checking out the firsthand owner problems with liquid cooler failures at the maker's website. As an example the Corsair website is filled with reports of multiple AIO/CLC failures by many people. These personal experiences will give you a reality check on liquid coolers and the hassles you can expect. If you're still interested in a liquid cooler, then that's what you should buy. If however you prefer reliable, quiet, cost effective CPU cooling without the liabilities and shortcomings of AIO/CLC liquid coolers, then the FrostyTech website has a wealth of valuable HSF reviews to help you find a top AMD 6-7 tower style HSF that will properly cool your FX-9590 the same as many other FX-9000 series CPU owners use.

Good luck.