12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2016 10:58 PM by kingfish

AMD Radeon HD 7800M not being used by system as a dual GPU

armads

Alright, I've tried everything I know to try and make this work, so I've come here hoping someone smarter than me can figure this out. I'm running an HP Envy, which has a dual GPU setup, with one AMD Radeon HD 7800M in it, and an Intel HD Graphics 4000. Now, obviously, you want everything to run on the AMD card, rather than the less than good Intel card.

Except for some reason, nothing wants to run on the AMD card, meaning everything is assuming that the Intel card is the only card I'm using. OBS, games, everything. As such, I tried going into the bios to see if I could set it so that it wouldn't 'automatically' switch, and instead have me do it manually, but no dice. I've tried going into both the AMD settings and the Intel settings, but that doesn't help either. Everything, when detecting what GPU I have, says that it's working off of the Intel card, rather than the AMD card, despite the fact that the AMD card is the main card.

For the record, I'm using Windows 7.

Does anyone know how to force applications, and by extension the entire computer, to run applications off of the AMD card? It's far more powerful and should be doing all the work, but nothing seems to be able to actually use it.

• Re: AMD Radeon HD 7800M not being used by system as a dual GPU
          amdmatt

We really need more information to be able to help you.

To configure an application to use the discrete GPU you need to open Radeon Settings > Preferences > Additional Settings.

In CCC Slim, navigate to Switchable Graphics Application Settings. This area will allow you to select which 3D application uses the Integrated GPU or the High Performance GPU. Add the application to CCC and select High Performance Mode to ensure that the High Performance GPU is used. Note, it is recommend to have the laptop plugged in and Windows configured to High performance mode in the Control Panel > Power options to ensure you get the best possible performance.

• Re: AMD Radeon HD 7800M not being used by system as a dual GPU
              armads

You're going to have to be more specific with what information you need; I've given you all of that stuff you linked. The only things I didn't were the driver version ( 16.159.2211.0 ), the motherboard, and power supply.

As for the solution provided of going into radeon settings, I already did that. It still won't switch over to using the Radeon card. Despite the fact that the Radeon card is the 'high performance' card, it doesn't seem to want to actually USE that card for anything.

I did a bit of digging, and upon disabling the Intel card, attempting to run anything that requires OpenGL or Direct3D is impossible. Does the AMD Radeon HD 7800M not do either of those things? Because if not, then the card is rather useless to me, due to the fact that just about everything requires those things, and if it cannot do anything with either OpenGL or Direct3D, then it means that everything is running on the less powerful Intel card because the AMD card doesn't actually do anything.

For the record, the power options in windows and the things you recommended are not relevant to this problem. I am asking how to force my system to actually use the AMD card rather than use the Intel card; settings in AMD, despite being set to 'high performance' for everything, including going through and manually setting them, do nothing. This is not a matter of 'performance' but a matter of making the card actually do more than collect dust.

Now, I do think the issue might have to do with the fact that, when disabling the Intel card, the AMD card is unable to handle anything that requires OpenGL and Direct3D. I don't know if that's because AMD drivers or cards don't support that, or if there is some issue that I'm unaware of that can fix that, however.