9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2016 10:25 AM by black_zion

R9 Fury X with AMD FX8150 and old motherboard

mentos

Hi I am considering to buy new AMD R9 Fury X graphic card but I really don’t know if this graphic will work with my configuration and software. Please help me with this problem.

My configuration at this moment:

Windows 7 64-bit SP1 Home Premium

MSI 990FXA GD65 (BIOS upgraded)

AMD FX8150@4200 MHz with Zalman CNPS 12X

16 GB DDR3 1866 MHz

MSI Radeon HD6870 1GB (R6870-2PM2D1GD5/OC)

2 x 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SATA III

1 x 2TB HDD SATA III

Chieftec HPC 620W (CFT-620A-12S)

I know that my motherboard has only two PCIe x 16 gen. 2.0 slots and I know that Fury X needs more electric power than Chieftec can handle.

Thanks for any suggestions and answers.

• Re: R9 Fury X with AMD FX8150 and old motherboard
          black_zion

Only problem I see is the PSU, PCIe 2.0 x16 is sufficient for the Fury X, and your board is new enough to not have to worry about compatibility. That being said, you might want to take a look at the R9 Fury Nano instead. It's $130 less expensive for a negligible reduction in performance, which can be mitigated by overclocking.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
            amdmatt

Agree with BZ. MY concern is your power supply, you will need to upgrade this as well. Go for something that has at least 50 AMPS and a single 12V rail.

I would recommend updating your Motherboard bios before you install a new graphics card.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              mentos

Thank you both. I was thinking about Corsair HX850i Platinum (70A on 12V) or Corsair HX1000i Platinum (83A on 12V). My BIOS is up to date

I am going to buy Fury X because after 18 or 24 months i will upgrade whole rig to something real new. So graphic card should be still good enough like Radeon HD6870 today.

mentos

Hi again folks

I decided to buy Radeon R9 Fury X from ASUS with PSU Antec HCP-1000 80Plus Platinium. It will be good enough to provide some extra power...like nuclear plant hehe.

I am waiting for official Polaris hardware tests. It looks very interesting.

Thank you all for helping me. Best regards.

mentos

OK finaly I have my own Fury X BUT it's dosent' work I just want to warn potential Fury X buyers that if you plan to buy it take a look at my post.

My computer won't boot when I have the ASUS Fury X inserted. I can't even get to the BIOS. It's just a black screen (ASUS MG248Q). My parts:

- Windows 7 64-bit SP1 Home Premium

- AMD FX8150 @ 4.5 with Corsair H115i

- 16 GB DDR3 1866 MHz

- MSI 990FXA GD65 (BIOS upgraded - V19.8)

- ASUS Fury X

- Antec HPC 1000 Platinum

- 2 x 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SATA III

- 1 x 2TB HDD SATA III

- case Corsair Vengeance C70

As you can see i have changed some parts according to my first post.

When I power the pc on the screen just stays black and the GPU Radeon logo is glowing. Fan on radiator of GPU also is working fine. I tried both PCIe slots. I tried all Display Ports with different cables, I tried HDMI. Nothing, still black screen and no "bip" sound from motherboard BIOS. The computer boots up normally when I remove the Fury X and use MSI Radeon HD6870 1GB HDMI output.

In my opinion it is possbile that i need to upgrade VGA BIOS.

-------------------------- EDIT -----------------------------------------

Fury X is working fine on ASUS Z170P motherboard (bios 0705 2.17.1246) and Corsair 750W PSU.

mentos

The latest BIOS on MSI mainboard didn't work. I bought ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z and R9 Fury X was working fine for 5 days. After that I can only say: R9 Fury X is useless peace of PCB. Display ports with black screen issue (all ports) and fu***** problems with screen display when GPU is in idle mode - AMD Radeon Fury X Display issues - YouTube - this is a joke! Never again AMD. Never ever.

Thx for helps guys but AMD....many many bad words....and it's waste of moneys. Disabled company.