40 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2017 12:49 AM by ron15

Sapphire R9 380 NITRO 4GB, CRASH, BLACK SCREEN IN GAME, NO SIGNAL

gobernador

Hello people, i need help with this problem, when i play some games, my game would freeze the screen would go black and my monitor would say "no signal", indicating there is no signal being sent from my computer/GPU anymore, the sound and all continue, but the only way to be able to use my computer is to restart it..... I need use warranty ?

i5 4430

Sapphire R9 380 NITRO 4GB

12 GB RAM DDR3

H81-E33

1TB HD

The temperture its normal (67 C)....

Thanks for all.....

• Re: Sapphire R9 380 NITRO 4GB, CRASH, BLACK SCREEN IN GAME, NO SIGNAL
          amdmatt

We are currently investigating reports of no signal issues experience by R9 380 users. ray_m

What driver are you using?

Have you tried temporarily rolling back to an older driver? You can download Catalyst 15.11.1 Beta here.

zaparoli

I have the same problem since the 16.3.2 driver and 16.4.1

Motherboard: GA-78LMT-S2

Memory: 2x 4GB DDR3

Processors: FX 8320E

Power Supply: Corsair CX600

Video Card: MSI R9 380 4GB

Monitor: Philips Led 236V4

Hard Disk: Western Digital 1 Terabyte 64MB Buffer 7200 RPM

PC Temperature:

http://imgur.com/6FVuNRf

datp

Hello,

I saw on another thread that you acknowledged that some users are having this problem I would like to add some information.

SPECS:

CPU: i5-6600k skylake

GPU: R9 380 4gb GDDR5 NITRO SAPPHIRE

MB: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING

PSU: FRACTAL DESIGN INTEGRA M 650W

RAM: CORSAIR 8GB DDR 2133 Mhz

Have tried rolling back drivers to older betas, problem is and I can get flickering graphical issues with the older drivers. I have tried scanning and repairing corrupt sections on my discs, uninstalling my antivirus and tried another but the issue remains, tries furumark to see if the issue is hardware related but I am not getting any errors while doing the furumark and there is one thing I noticed when the driver crashed and recovered in windows 10. If I open the radeon settings after it has been recovered the computer goes into the no signal mode and I have to reboot the hardway.

I didn't have any issues at the start when I bought it in January 2016 the issues started on gta v and it continues on dark souls series (1,2,3) and I had issues on rainbow six siege but that game hasnt crashed since last time last week. I have countless of hours in CS:GO and havent had a single issue with it.

Wanted to add everything is up to date, chipset drivers, windows, amd drivers etc. The issues isnt for every game and from what I have seen when the drivers crash and resets I get an error message from steam either telling me that the 3d3 device has been reset if the drivers recovers and if it just crashes to desktop I get a 3d3 device removed or the no signal error.

Temps are normal during load 70-75 degrees (celsius).

Now I have added a lot of information from the issues I am having. Fixed the issue with the text format!

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks and have a nice day!

waltc

Matt,

I have an MSI R9 380 4GB, and I have this perplexing problem occasionally myself.  For no apparent reason, the entire system simply shuts down--I mean, the computer shuts itself off instantly--no warning, it simply shuts off--no reboot, just a shut down.  It seems to happen without rhyme or reason, and it can happen in a game or when I'm web browsing and the GPU is idling.   I mean...I may go days in between system shut offs...maybe weeks or more (I use the box 8 days a week...;))

If this helps, I have noticed that when I run my internal case fans vigorously using a system fan utility to control the cpu fan and a couple of 120mm case fans, that it doesn't happen at all.  It seems like it might be related to some UEFI bios function regulating/protecting the cpu--but the cpu is not overclocked.   It could also be a PSU issue, of course.  Since running the case fans seems to halt it, then it has to have something to do with temps and bios protections of some kind.  I don't recall ever having an occurrence like this before--and I feel as though it is something very simple, most likely.

At any rate, the issue is not increasing and I honestly can't recall the last time it happened, so it's been awhile.  Just wanted to give you some feedback on this. It happens so seldom that I'm not worried about it at the moment--and the fact that the fans running seems to eliminate the unplanned shutdowns makes it that much less worrisome.

amdmatt

PC randomly shutting off usually points towards a PSU issue.

hnffwim

You might be right. But Matt, I found a website that have the same issue as these people and I'm not so sure If power limit has any connection with the issue.

ASUS STRIX Radeon R9 390, black screen/freezing issues

amdregrets

I felt like I had to make an account just to reply to this.

As someone who has had this issue with MANY games, a lot of the same ones listed here, and also including Alien Isolation which seems to be bloody endorsed by AMD and all, I find your response as an AMD employee EXTREMELY insulting.

I have literally read countless threads, on countless different forums, of countless different people with almost exactly the same PC builds all experiencing this completely unresolved issue of my PC literally turning itself off in the middle of a game for NO REASON at all.

Its quite frankly horrifying how bad the help on the subject is, and being told, its probably your PSU, which it 100% certainly is NOT, makes me want to warn people against every purchasing any AMD product and also never buying one again myself.

That is how strongly I feel about the completel lack of resolution to this problem and the clear inability by MANY MANY people to play lots of game without their PC turning off all because they use an AMD processor or AMD graphics card. Its quite hard to pinpoint which it is because every single person I read that has this problem has both. I personally use an FX eight core and an R9 380x.

1/10 would never buy again.

mad_animaltgnpartner

i need help with this problem, when i play some games, my game would freeze the screen would go black and my monitor would say "no signal",indicating there is no signal being sent from my computer/GPU anymore, the sound and all continue, but the only way to be able to use my computer is to restart it.....

games like

GTA 5

7 days to die

XCOM 2

Saints Row IV

DiRT Rally

Batman™: Arkham Knight

Killing Floor 2

Company of Heroes 2

i would like to A return merchandise authorization (RMA), return authorization (RA) or return goods authorization (RGA) is a part of the process of returning a product in order to receive a refund, replacement, or repair during the product's warranty period.

i can not play any of my top games all parts.pnggpu.pngaids64.pngamd radeon.png

datp

I will edit my first post here, I was reading on this problem and similar problems and some of those had something to do with the 6 pinned PCI that comes from the PSU and while I was looking on my PSU I noticed that the PCI cable wasn't fully inserted into the PSU and this seems to have been causing the problem for me, it was inserted enough to look fully inserted but the clip hadn't fully attached on the PSU. Seems like I could have gotten strange surges and the PSU perhaps couldn't give the GPU all the power it needed, have been playing dark souls 3 for 1 hour now and no crash before I had two crashes on less than an hour of gametime.

Will write here again if the problem persists but that could be something future people could check, see that the PCI is correctly inserted in the PSU if you have a modular PSU or see so the PCI is correctly plugged onto the GPU.

Cheers!

datp

Edit, after over 10 hours of gameplay in dark souls 3 I have had some issues with the drivers crashing, I will try and install the earlier beta drivers and see if the problem persists, since right now the driver crashes on the exactly same spot. During the boss encounter "dancer of the boreal valley. The error right now is very different from before I am only getting driver crashes and no crash to "no signal" so the no signal error could be an issue of PSU errors or lack of power to the GPU, since after I changed my PCI connector to the GPU that problem disappeared but now the drivers are crashing and that results a desktop crash and I have to restart everything. Like I said I will try and test the beta drivers and see if the problem persists.

donatienv

Hello everyone

I am not sure if i can use the same topic for issue because i am in the same issue. I have i5-4690K + Z97 PC Mate + R9 380 MSI gaming 4G and some black screen during GTA V. Power is Cooler Master B600 v2, 600W.

I tried Crimson 16.1 to 16.3 (i have to test 16.4.1 hotfix tonight) and catalyst 15.7 on windows 10 64bits. Same black screens!

As long as some people have R9 380 and not black screen i suppose hardware is defective. Should we return the card?

About power PCI cable i don't understand why the card has 2*6 pins while my alimentations cables are 2*8pins (2 are a little bit separated so i can still plug the two groups).

gobernador

my GPU is in warranty right now, but the seller has not told me anything, have one month.... :/

donatienv

I read in another forum that someone sent his GPU (with the same problem than us) and they send it back without founding any issue. More over in my case the sender announce up to 8 weeks for warranty... As long as GPU test with OCCT or other softs do not show any material defects, i don't want to lose time with warranty for now. Last week i tryied driver 12.11 (the first Crimson driver i think) and i could play for an hour and a half without crashes. It is not enough to say if the problem is solved but it is an improvement!

I really think it is a driver issue and AMD know the issue so we have to wait a fix. In another hand, i do not think all owner of R9 380 (does the fact to have 4Gb is common for all of us?) have troubles with it ...

ron15

I have been following the fixes that were posted here. Some didnt work but some gave hope yet really not resolving the entire problem. During the fix I ended up using the 15.11.1 beta drivers. It lessens the chance of crashing but its still there. I decided to use trixx set everything to default, customize my fan setting and made my power +10. This setting prevented crashes from csgo but micro stuttering and frame drops were experienced the frame drops to 30fps the. Returns to 280fps few seconds then going dow to 80fps. The cycle goes on. It seemed tha playing with HD4600 is much better even if its frames are just around 45fps. Also when playing cities skyline frame drops also occurs and when it happen after 5min it will do a no signal crash. In Trine 2 fps is steady at 60fps but you can feel that there is some stuttering ang lag.

Now here's some good news. I tried to fiddle around with the ingame video setting. I tried to lower every thing in csgo then one by one increased the different values.  I have achieved a stable smooth gamearound 250fps when aliasing(fxaa and mxaa) was turned off and no crash so far. I tried it on the other games and it seemed improve it. Though I have just tested each game for around 1 hour so its not yet that much of Testing. could any one try this and share to us your findings.?

Also, it seemed weird that every time I restart of turn on my computer my trixx fan setting gets mixed up. Its either everything is at 100%, 20% and worst 0%.. Anyone experiencing this?

My PC Spec:

Intel i5-4460

8gb Ram 2400mhz (down clock to 1800) RipjawX (4gbx2)

Gigabyte H97m gaming 3

Corsair cx600m

Sapphire r9 380 Nitro

Samsung 850 EVO 256gb

WD Caviar blue 500gb

mad_animaltgnpartner

i am not being rude your info is nice but i think this is down to ati to fix .

from January to June i've not been able to play games because of black screening. Its like ati are leaving it to us to fix the problem instead of sorting it themselves (then an admin mocks your pc parts and says its your psu)

i put a GTX 960 4GB and ati R9-270x 4GB and HD 7790 2GB

AND NO BLACK SCREEN ,ati are taking the piss with this no help all they say is more info more info more info

i think it is time to give up on ati i will not be getting the rx-4xx or any new gpu from them

as gaming it is down to us to fix and find out what is up

sort your drivers out or the green team is going to take the market ,very fast

this gpu as bin out for about 1 year and they still can not optimize it

what is that saying about it grrr

killman88

No solution yet, AMD is working on this issue? i need answers before sell this card please AMD

kidalex91

Spoke about this problem on another thread in the forum. I get a driver crash and lose signal only with Dark Souls 3 on my R9 380X. Already did an RMA and still the same damn issue with the new card. No idea how to fix this problem.

mad_animaltgnpartner

i am on 15.11 and turn the

Crimson app is off is the start up (task manager)

and no blackscreens so nice work ati you work on the rx 480 and f~~~ all us over with older cards

gg on that the R380 4GB is my last ati card looking for a good 1080p card with the green team

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                              drakkhan

I have the Same Problem with my Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Card

It crashes with no Reason with a Blackscreen on Stock Clock.

Doesn't Matter what typ of game i'm playing.

First i though its my PSU but my PowerMeter say's my Peak is at  ~400 Watts so it cant be

(My PSU is a Be Quiet! 530Watt)

After that i was thinking maybe my Driver is corrupt so i reinstalled the driver made a clean fresh install of my Windows to make sure there is NOTHING left of any old Driver.

Than, after all that had no effect what so ever, i took a look into the Forums and see that i'm not the only one with this Problem. So i guess it IS Driver related and AMD f*****g things up here. (Why did i switch from Nvidia to AMD)

My Event-Viewer in Windows is not giving much of Information about this Problem. The only thing in there is  "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered"

Thats all...

AMD can u fix it until i get a new GPU and decide to leave AMD forever? This is my 2. Time in my life i got a AMD/ATI Card and the 2. Time i have problems with you GPU i won't give u a 3. Chance anymore... so hurry the **** up fixing this crap

System Spec.

AMD Phenom2 x6 1090T

8GB DDR3

Windows 10 x64
                                              and this crap of card i have problems since... 4..5 Month.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                                                getlogan

When playing the System Shock demo for a few minutes the monitor will lose signal and display a black screen. A stuttering sound can be heard in the background on loop and the only way to recover from this crash is a hard reset of the computer. Upon restarting the computer and checking event viewer a log of the crash can be seen.

EventID: 4101

Source: Display

Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

I used to get the black screen crash on many other directx11 games (never had it on directx9 games), such as GTA5, Rainbow Six Siege, Satellite Reign, Unreal Tournament (the new one). However ever since a new driver released around April, at least for me, crashes in those games seem to be fixed as I have never encountered them again. System Shock is currently the only game I know of that still suffers from the same problem. I also get the same black screen issue with the Dolphin 5.0 emulator running with DX12 renderer and when playing movies in Media Player Classic using the MadVR renderer. Also graphics settings, resolution, windowed or fullscreen, refresh rate, FreeSync, tesselation, monitor, cable and port type, etc, does not matter as different combinations do not resolve the issue. Problem is a driver issue as it has been fixed in the past for other games.

My specs:

Core i7 6700k (stock, never been overclocked)

Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB)

Asus Maximus VIII Hero (BIOS 1701, current latest)

Seasonic XP-860 Platinum 860W Power Supply V2

Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro Dual-X 4GB (stock, never been overclocked)

using Crimson 16.7.2 WHQL (shows as 16.7.3 in Radeon Settings Overview, installed after using DDU 16.1.0.1 in safe mode, Gaming Evolved NOT installed)

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Monitor (single monitor tested individually, crashes occur on either):

Benq XL2730Z using DisplayPort (2560x1440, 144hz, FreeSync)

Benq V2400W using DVI (1920x1200, 60hz, non-FreeSync)

getlogan

Crimson driver 16.7.3 is an improvement for me.

The System Shock demo still crashes. However, instead of getting the usual no signal black screen crash, now the game just crashes and I can continue using Windows without a hard reset.

Same thing for Media Player Classic with madVR renderer. I still get a crash, but now I am able to alt-f4 to close the crashed Media Player Classic and continue using windows without a hard reset.

Dolphin 5.0 emulator now seems to work without crashing using the DX12 renderer.

Not sure if the crashes are a problem with the applications or display drivers, but I'm glad now the crashes don't stall the entire system.

heavysky

Does AMD plan to ever fix this well known and pervasive problem?

I was unfortunate enough to buy an R9 380 without knowing about this problem, and I can't play Half-Life 2 more than a few minutes without experiencing an unrecoverable black screen crash.

ron15

It's been a while since I have visited this thread. I am giving my r9 380 a chance again since I'm itching to play a game that requires GPU. The games I am playing recently runs good if not great without the GPU only my iGPU.

I would just like to ask if your GPU's 6 pin power connector is just 1with two 6 and 6+2 pins on the other end. Or you have 2 separate 6 pin connectors from the PSU to the GPU.

I am just wondering if most of us here having these problems uses only 1 6 pins with 2 6 pins on the other end.