30 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2016 6:50 PM by ianni

MSI r9 390 144hz problem

sil130

Hey guys i need help. I just bought a new xl2730z. Everytime I set the refresh rate higher than 60hz, i get black screens and flickers,artifacts. First I thought it was a cable problem, I tried both DP cable and DVI dual link cable included and still no fix. So I went back to the shop where i bought it, they tested it using a r7 270 since they dont have r9 390 available for testing. So now im fiddling with the settings and I found one small fix(?). Changing the color depth to 6 bpc enables me to go upto 100hz. Higher than that then i get problems. I already tried "clear user" on xl2730z settings. Installed 15.11 and 16.1 drivers using DDU and still no fix. I saw a similar threadhttps://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/3e4es2/msi_r9_390_having_black_screen_issues_while/only difference is he only gets problems when gaming, while I cant even set it on desktop. Does anyone experienced this also? My last resort would be sending my card to RMA. Thanks!

Black screen video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MmoS8RB1aE&feature=youtu.be(sorry for bad quality)

• Re: MSI r9 390 144hz problem
          amdmatt

These type of issues are usually caused by a low quality DisplayPort cable, but the fact it happens on both DP and DVI could indicate a possible fault with the GPU.

I would recommend contacting MSI to ask them if there is a bios update available for the GPU. https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/support/R9-390-GAMING-8G.html#down-utility&Win10 64

I would recommend testing the GPU on a different system to see if the same issue occurs.

I would also recommend downloading the Monitor drivers for your display to see if that has any effect on the issue. Download Display Pilot for XL2730Z

If you can, try a using a high quality displayport cable such as this one. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Accell-B142C-007B-DisplayPort-Latching-Cable/dp/B0098HVZBE

sil130

I had it tested on the shop using the DP cable included with the monitor, and it works with them, only using r7 270 though. Btw, what is color depth though? When I changed it to 6 bpc, i can now set it to 100hz.  Anyway ill try all the steps you provided. Hope it will get fixed. Thanks!

pinkyfloyduk

Hi, I have a different monitor and a powercolor 390.  I was also getting black screens over displayport.

Like you, changing the color depth to 6bpc appears to have fixed it.

You can see my thread here:

Frequent Black Screen and loss of sound with LG 34UC88 or 34UM88 with powercolor 390 via DisplayPort

emsir

you can NOT use 144 mhz monitor with AMD cards.......Here is the supported resolutions with AMD cards and AMD drivers.

You can use 120 hz, but 144 hz is NOT supoorted.

Looke here:

resolution.jpg

amdmatt

144HZ is supported via DP1.2 or Dual Link DVI. The list you are referring to there is supported VSR modes.

emsir

That is incorrect. If you use 144hz your memory clock will stay at 1500 mhz and temp 65 degrees. It will NOT go down to 150 mhz and 35 degrees when idle (Desktop and Internet) So your card will be at full speed all the time when using 144 hz on your 144 hz monitor. If  you go down to 120 hz your AMD card will have 150mhz memory clock and 35 degrees when idle. That should be the same when using 144 hz resolution, but it's NOT!

There are many 144 hz monitor owners who are having the same issue, and posted many times on Guru 3D and AMD forum.

I have asked AMD in a mail if there will be a solution for this. But so far no answer. It is AMD cards who have this issue, Nvidia does not have this issue.

Proof is here:

144 hz resolution: pictures taken just after changing resolution to 144 hz, so temp is not so high. But memory clock is 1500 mhz

144hz.jpg

120hz:

120hz.jpg

amdmatt

What are your full system specifications?

emsir

I  have AUS Maximus Hero VIII Z170 Skylake 6700K

32 Mb Corsair 3000mhz RAM

500GB EVO 850

Asus R390 Strix 8 GB RAM

Enermax 1000 Watt PSU

Windows 10 PRO x64.

My System is super, and I have build computers for over 20 years. My knowledgeis up to date.

I has nothing to do with wrong settings in AMD. If it is,  why are AMD releasing software that doesn't work correctly? I don't get it. It's just a way to "solve" the problem. AMD should say that in release notes, if it is a real problem for AMD card owners. AMD does NOT mentioned anything about wrong readings Memory clock/temp when using 144 hz monitor/refreshrate.

If AMD settings show me my memory clock and temp are way too high when idle, and I can't trust that.....then what?  should I delete AMD software and use another program. And please be more specific what program you use to read the    " correct"  clock and temp. .

To Shankly1985. Please show me some screenshots of your resoultions /144 hz and memory clock and temp

No my GPU does NOT go into 3D mode....It's 2D when using Desktop/Internet. That's just normal, nothing new there. If your card goes into 3D mode when using Desktop apps and Internet, YOU have a problem.

shankly1985

You missing the point, if you on desktop or not it doesn't matter. If a program like AMD settings is using DirectX its kicking into 3D mode for some reason @144hz 1500 isn't your normal idle clock speed. Its only While Settings is open.

For example
                                          Untitled.png

emsir

I  am using High Quality DVI Dual cable (Clicktronic) and it supports 144 hz just fine. Even the DVI Dual cable that came with my ASUS 144 hz monitor works just great. It has nothing to do with my cables or monitor. It's the AMD card and/or the drivers.

shankly1985

I own BenQ 27" 144hz Freesync Monitor and a 290 and my GPU idles at 300/150
                              OP I noticed the new AMD Settings now uses DirectX so your GPU might be going into 3D mode when running the program. Can you test without Amd settings open and use a Program called HWinfo64 http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

amdmatt I think the issue here is AMD settings it also kicks my GPU into 1250 on the Memory but this isn't my correct idle mode if I close AMD settings and use another program for reading Core and Memory its normal 300/150

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  amdmatt

Thanks Shanks, that's helpful feedback.

emsir

Nothing changed with HWinfo64

Still 1500 mhz at idle.

hwinfo64.jpg

amdmatt

What is the make and model of the display you are running? I did not see you mention that.

shankly1985

Do you only have one display connected? Something is kicking your GPU memory up

emsir

Well, after 7 posts showing that my GPU clock is high.....you noticed it!!  Well done!

And YES something is kicking me GPU memory clock up. It's the card or drivers.

shankly1985

Again chill the hell out ffs. You know what this my last post for you because I dislike your attitude.

FYI it's been know that some cables and display configuration push memory up when running high refresh rates. If you Google this you would know, it'd effected nvidia cards for ages.

emsir

Well, now you releasing some info that shows me that you can't solve this problem. If your advice is to google, then I will be more than happy if you stop posting. It's useless. And if you read my post you will know that the cable ASUS provide with their 144 hz monitor is tested to work with ANY newer videocard. I don't have a problem with my cables. I have another very expensive ClickTronic DVI Dual cable, and that didn't fix the memory clock. The problem is with AMD R series and drivers. But  no one will admit it. that's the truth. I have asked AMD to look into the problem since November 2015. A representative answered that AMD is aware of the problem and will look into it...... but since then, nothing has happened. Why?

And I don't understand your agressive attitude, but I guess it's your frustration not being able to come up with a solution that shines through.

shankly1985

To save you some Google time I did it for you.. It seems to be a very common issue with Asus monitors, if it's also happening on nvidia and also amd that tells you the problem is with monitor itself. The older monitors with 144hz seem to need more GPU power to run higher refresh rate, newer monitors don't seem to be effected.

Here some links not hard to search for either.  Google Asus 144hz memory idle

High idle GPU/Memory clock and idle temperatues

amdmatt

Your Asus Strix 390 is moving up to 1500Mhz because 144HZ requires more resources from the GPU, which in turns moves the GPU up into the next memory clock state. Although this can vary as AIB PCB and Bios are different, it is expected behaviour and not a driver bug.

shankly1985

It seems the older monitors are more effected matt. Reading threads from people having this issue they using older monitors from around 2013. Makes sense 144hz was new around then monitors must need more power to push that high refresh rate back then.

We now have monitors with DisplayPort and faster data rates meaning less demanding for GPUs to push.

hockalugie

I have the same issue with my R9 380 and almost new LG 24GM77 (display port) monitor. It started with the Crimson drivers. The Catalyst drivers did not idle with the memory clock at 1425 when the monitor was set to 144hz. The Crimson drivers so far have all done this. I have to set the monitor to 120hz or the card would overheat. The fans never came on. The fan issue was fixed in the 16.4.1 release but the high memory clock at idle remains. So it isn't exclusive to older model monitors and if 144hz "requires more resources from the GPU, which in turns moves the GPU up into the next memory clock state." why doesn't the GPU clock move up to the next clock state also? IMO it's in the drivers. It didn't happen with Catalyst and it does with Crimson. Gotta be a driver issue.

emsir

I sure want to see these threads. Please post them here. I have  cointacted ASUS and they said that my monitor in no way is old and it should not have any problem wirth 144 hz coinnected with DVI -DUAL. It seems that you don't have a qualified answer.

First you write this: (amdmatt) " .Your Asus Strix 390 is moving up to 1500Mhz because 144HZ requires more resources from the GPU, which in turns moves the GPU up into the next memory clock state. Although this can vary as AIB PCB and Bios are different, it is expected behaviour and not a driver bug".

And then shanky1985:

"It seems the older monitors are more effected matt. Reading threads from people having this issue they using older monitors from around 2013. Makes sense 144hz was new around then monitors must need more power to push that high refresh rate back then.

We now have monitors with DisplayPort and faster data rates meaning less demanding for GPUs to push.

Now, If you have any proof that people with  "newer" mornitors with Dispaly ports not having this 144 hz issue, please come forward and share it with us.

As far as I know one of you promised to post your refresh rate (144hz and the idle temp and clock showing normal behaviour), when you got home from work, bur a month later, I've seen nothing that shows you are right.

It seems that amdmatt and sharky1985 are controlling this forum, and trying to tell members of this forum have no knowledge at all, and all our problems are "old monitors" and "wrong cables" . Could it be.....that maybe it's something with the cards or/and the AMD drivers???

Your answer: NO! not possible. Nothing's wrong with AMD drivers/cards!

But look at forums like 3D Guru and you will see hundreds of posts with AMD card owners who are having massive problems with AMD drivers. Crossfire not working, graphics problems in games, poor performance. 144 hz problems (on "new monitors" as well)

amdmatt

If you can provide some specific examples (providing the information in the following format: INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION ) where on older-newer drivers the GPU idled at a lower memory clock, we will investigate on the same hardware to see if we can reproduce it.

shankly1985

Sorry I did say I would show my refresh rate I did forget so here I am now to show you.
                                                                            When I say old Monitor I dont mean its old in away its lacking upto date features. By old I mean 144hz was a new thing and back then for GPUs to run this higher refresh rate it need more GPU power to push it. You then have DisplayPort that offer a higher bandwidth than Dual-Div making it easier for 144hz to be displayed.
                                                                            Your Monitor is from around 2013 144hz was New, time has moved on, we now pushing 240hz monitors.
                                                                            Untitled.jpg

emsir

And why did it work with  older Catalyst drivers?