23 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2016 3:53 AM by qbtheslayer

FX 8350 fan making loud noise

pvadugu

i bought a FX 8350 processor and installed on a Gigabyte Mother board with the fan it came with the processor. it is making loud noise.

Could someone help me to find options for reducing this noise. sometimes the noise is unbearable. The system working fine with no issues.

• Re: FX 8350 fan making loud noise
          black_zion

An aftermarket cooler is your best bet. Aside from the new Wraith cooler packed with the 8370 and some other models, AMDs stock HSF makes a 737 seem quiet. Liquid cooling is dead silent, even under full load and elevated ambient temperatures.

techguy

FYI - Liquid coolers are not "dead silent" as the fans required on liquid coolers must produce higher air pressure than fans on HSFs to force air thru the radiators, thus liquid coolers can and often are louder than those used on quality HSFs. Reputable websites show fan loudness in addition to cooling performance. The link below illustrates the point with the Corsair H100 having a 59.2 dBA maximum noise level while the Xigmatek Aegir SD124268 is only 49.1 dBA. It's worth noting that 10 dBA is a major increase in noise compared to the Aegir HSF. In addition to the coolant leak liability of all liquid coolers, many people end up spending more money changing fans on liquid coolers because the OEM fans are so noisy. HSFs do not introduce the cooler leak liability of liquid coolers even though top quality tower style HSFs perform as well or better than many liquid coolers.

Corsair AMD Heatsink Temperature Comparisons - Hydro H100 FrostyTech Review

qbtheslayer

While maximum Fan speed is rather loud on a lot of H₂O AIO's... For normal everyday use the fans will be on "Quiet" and barely audible.  My H80i is superb at keeping things cool and quiet.

From your site:

Corsair Preliminary AMD Heatsink Temperature Comparisons - Hydro H80i FrostyTech Review

Here is how things actually stand up when talking about fan noise:

tUaCfEo.png

I highlighted only the ones that were both <40dbA AND <20°C

Almost all H₂O AIO's cool very well and keep things very quiet.  Your favorite site does a very poor job of keeping results in this chart.  As an example here is the results for the latest H₂O cooler they tested on Jan 04, 2016:

Manufacturer:    Model No.:          *Fan Speed: 125W Thermal Test (°C) Noise Level (dBA)

DeepCool          Maelstrom 240      low                11.9                                34.3

yet it does not include my H80i or other coolers.

Also here is a nice quote taken from the above test:

One nice aspect to liquid-to-air heat exchangers is  that their narrowness tends to respond favorably to lower air flow situations  than say a tower heatsink, consequently with both fans slowed all the way down,  the Maelstrom 240 only sees test temperatures increase to 11.9°C over  ambient.

So to sum things up.  H₂O All-in-One coolers do an excellent job of cooling while also keeping things very quiet.  And while yes, there is the extremely rare occurrence of a coolant leak, you have a better chance of being hit by lightning or winning the lottery than this actually happening.

QB

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      black_zion

Not to mention the people who use aftermarket fans. With my Corsair H105, the stock fans were -horridly- loud, but a couple of Cougar CF-V12HP fans, which I had already been using as case fans, spinning at around 1000RPM, it's inaudible. And as you pointed out, a lower fan speed isn't nearly as detrimental on cooling efficiency with liquid as air. In the case with the H80i, or any radiator, two fans spinning slowly in push-pull create a massive amount of static pressure. Airflow may only be 30cfm, but airflow is measured in an open environment, and what matters most is eliminating "dead air" space between the fins.

And then there's the fact that liquid is a much more efficient heat transfer mechanism, and the fact that Corsair offers a $10,000 connected equipment warranty in the case of a coolant leak due to a faulty unit. Heck, even heatpipes can leak, and if they do you will never smell a more foul odor in your life... Think of a mix of skunk and methane.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                          techguy

The fact that ALL liquid coolers introduce a very real and serious leak liability not possible with a HSF, is reason for all knowledgeable PC enthusiasts to take pause. The fact is CPU heat = fan operation which is indisputable. A liquid cooler needs to run the fans just as a HSF does to cool a CPU under medium to heavy loads. In addition HSFs are far superior in efficiency to AIO/CLC liquid coolers. The top tower style HSFs even cool better than the Corsair H100 and lower model AIO/CLCs many of which can not cool the 8-core FX-8000 and 9000 series CPUs properly. The cost of liquid AIO/CLC coolers equal in performance to a quality tower HSF often cost 50% or more than a HSF.

Many people are confused about processor liquid coolers and assume that water cooling must be superior to HSFs when they are not. Unlike in an automotive application where the coolant flows thru the heat source (the engine), with processor coolers, the water only flows over a water block mounted to the top of the processor. The water transports the heated water to the radiators which require high fan speed/air pressure to cool the water flowing thru the radiator. The cooling medium in a liquid processor cooler is AIR, not water. In contrast a HSF removes the processor heat via a copper/aluminum block and/or with direct contact heat pipes. Heat pipes use phase change cooling which is more efficient than the liquid cooler approach. HSFs are used on 99+% of all consumer CPUs/APUs for obvious reason. HSFs are bullet proof reliable, they are highly efficient and they are quiet unless you choose a loud fan option. Larger tower style HSFs are even used without any fan for people who desire a totally silent PC experience.

In my experience when people understand the technical pros and cons of HSFs and liquid coolers, they are usually able to decide what works best for their application. Without knowing about the coolant leak liability in liquid coolers many people have suffered serious PC hardware damage, loss of data and loss of use of their PC. Since there is no AMD consumer processor that requires a liquid cooler to maintain proper temps there is no need to introduce a water leak liability in any PC and that's a good thing.

qbtheslayer

The main problem is that you cherry pick your stats, you claim that AIO H₂O coolers leak on a regular basis and in general present a fear mongering approach to recommendations.  The site you use to cherry pick stats even shows that ALL of the top coolers are liquid all-in-ones.  And if you bothered to research any of the top tower HSF coolers, you'll find that they are almost as costly as a decent H₂O AIO.  If you take cost, noise and cooling into account there is nothing better than an H₂O AIO.  I will continue to poke holes in your scare mongering.  Leaks can happen (usually user error/tampering) but it is so rare.  If it was an issue like you suggest, NONE of these companies would be in business.

QB

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  techguy

The reason why I use FrostyTech's database is because they properly conduct CPU cooler tests using sound scientific practice and without all the variables that other reviewers incorporate into their test. I don't cherry pick anything. I have no association with FrostyTech but they have a wealth of useful information so PC enthusiasts can make an informed technical decision of CPU coolers. You can search their database by manufacturer and cooler model. They test on both AMD and Intel sized heat spreaders because it makes a difference in cooler performance. They test at 85w, 125w, 150w and 200w thermal loads in addition to measuring fan noise levels and providing detailed installation reviews.

There is no fear mongering in my posts what so ever. I report the pros and cons of both air cooled and liquid cooled  CPU coolers. Any time you introduce a liquid into an electrical environment you have a new liability that did not exist with a HSF. The fact that liquid coolers regularly leak and damage PC hardware is documented and even supported by one liquid cooler makers own customers reports in their forums. When these customers experience not one, not two but three or more failed liquid coolers, then you know these coolers have issues. Every PC hardware forum on the Net including the AMD forum has firsthand reports of people who installed a liquid cooler and experienced leaks, and/or overheating and PC damage. The fans of liquid coolers like to pretend these are rare occurrences when in fact that are not rare occurrences. When Corsair was asked what their failure rate was on liquid coolers they refused to divulge the percentage. Instead they tried to pass the failure rate off as "similar to their HSFs" which is nonsense when you read all of the leak and pump failure reports in their own forums compared to almost no reports of HSFs failing because the only thing that can fail on a HSF is the fan. And even if the fan does fail the Heat sink still provides considerable cooling unlike a liquid cooler when the pump slows or stops, a leak develops or the radiator fans fail to run at proper speed. Corsair has had so many liquid cooler failures that they changed suppliers...

Fans of liquid coolers like to ignore the very real liabilities, increased cost and increased noise of liquid coolers including the poor cooling performance of the lower models liquid coolers. Fans routinely recommend the H60 to AMD enthusiasts with 8-core FX CPUs and the H60 can't cool these CPUs under full load. Recommending a product you know can't properly cool an 8-core FX CPU is harmful at best to people who are spending their money based on a disingenuous forum recommendation.You can buy a number of top HSF tower coolers for 1/2 to 2/3rds the price of a liquid cooler and you have NONE of the liabilities of a liquid cooler. You don't need to go out and spend more money on quiet fans with a proper HSF as you do with many liquid coolers. The bottom line is liquid coolers are a fad and highly over-rated and over hyped as the cooling test data shows.

I strongly recommend that every person looking to purchase a product based on the recommendations in a forum, perform due diligence so they fully understand what they are and are not getting, because I see inaccurate posts in forums all the time on CPU coolers.

qbtheslayer

"" are your words...

" I don't cherry pick anything."

of course you do.  You pulled one of the worst stats of a very old cooler to suit your needs (H100 at maximum setting).  The H100 isn't even a great cooler if noise is something you wish to avoid...  if noise isn't an issue, it's very good.  That is what Cherry Picking means.

"The fact that liquid coolers regularly leak and damage PC hardware is documented"

You love to post links to things, yet you never post any links regarding this.  That always seems odd to me.

"When these customers experience not one, not two but three or more failed liquid coolers, then you know these coolers have issues"

Funny, the first thing that jumps to my mind when reading this statement...  User error and a costumer that really should not be meddling inside their PC.

"You can buy a number of top HSF tower coolers for 1/2 to 2/3rds the price"

I don't know about you, but I have looked up those top HSF towers...  Most of them are extremely hard to find a vendor, and when you do find a vendor the prices are astounding.  Even the Xigmatek you posted at the top cost close to $100.

"The bottom line is liquid coolers are a fad and highly over-rated and over hyped as the cooling test data shows"

I'm not sure how you keep missing this in the data, but Liquid CLC's are the top coolers in the lists you post links to:

Cooler Master Nepton 280L, Cooler Master Nepton 140XL, Silverstone Tundra TD02, Corsair Hydro H100i, Cooler Master Seidon 240M, Corsair Hydro H80i, NZXT Kraken X60, Cooler Master Glacer 240L, Corsair Hydro H100, Silverstone Tundra TD03, Coolermaster Seidon 120V

8.1°C to 12.2°C

QB

tomtalk24

Only leak I have ever suffered was from my own doing. Only damage was to the BIOS clock, then ASUS replaced the mobo.

Other than myself not paying attention during installation and testing did I get a leak, never had a hose come off a fitting or the like. Water cooling is the best cooling you can apply to a PC component, removing the heat immediately at the block and transferring that immediately when the water leaves the block. There is no argument to the efficiency of watercooling or its safe use around expensive components, on overclockable AMD CPUs its ideal. Simple as that.

techguy

The larger aftermarket HSFs run the fan at lower speeds and still move plenty of air to cool your CPU. The small OEM fans must spin at high speeds to cool power hungry FX CPUs. The link below has a wide range of HSFs in all price ranges along with installation and performance reviews to help you find an aftermarket HSF that should work well and be much quieter than the OEM fan. You should also make sure that your mobo model supports the FX-8350 CPU as not all mobos have the proper VRM design to handle an 8-core FX processor without problems.

Xigmatek AMD Heatsink Temperature Comparisons - SD128264 Aegir FrostyTech Review

qbtheslayer

pvadugu wrote:

i bought a FX 8350 processor and installed on a Gigabyte Mother board with the fan it came with the processor. it is making loud noise.

Could someone help me to find options for reducing this noise. sometimes the noise is unbearable. The system working fine with no issues

Anyway, back to the original post.

pvadugu, How much money are you willing to spend on after-market cooling.  There are many great options at all levels of cost (both Tower HSF and liquid all-in-ones).  Will you be over-clocking?  We would need more info to help point you in the right direction on an after-market cooling purchase.

QB