11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2017 10:21 AM by kingfish

How to disable Auto Update in Radeon Settings / Crimson Driver

gh0st47

As title said, I know you can do this during the Installation, but I clearly remember that I un-check " Auto-Update " during the Installation.
      But now my Radeon Settings is automatically detecting latest Driver and it's reporting to me. How can I disable this ??
      This only started happening after I installed 16.3.1 BETA Driver. It didn't happen before.

Im on Windows 7 64-BIT
      Sapphire 290X

• Re: How to disable Auto Update in Radeon Settings / Crimson Driver
          kingfish

I noticed the same thing....there are two instances of 'auto check for new drivers' while installing the new drivers, but I see no option after they are installed. Also, if you installed Gaming Evolved (raptr) it will check for updates as well...There are two places within "options" to disable this check.

gh0st47

Yup exactly.

Nope I didn't install Raptr never use it anymore.

But previously it has always been BETA drivers so could it be the reason it never notify me before??  Only now of recent AMD released a WHQL driver since they first introduced Crimson Software. Maybe it only notify WHQL driver and not BETA?

But important thing is I think least mine didn't automatically download and install the latest driver Thank God..so far all it did was notified me there's a latest driver. 

kingfish

I made a issue report...AMD Issue Reporting Form

Have you tried the 16.3.2 ?

gh0st47

No, Im still on 16.3.1 BETA.
                      If I were to use 16.3.2 Driver, I doubt it will notify me though, since it is the latest one already.
                      We will have to wait for future driver release to know whether if this problem still exist in 16.3.2 Driver.
                      Maybe even a WHQL release as I suspected...
                      But as said I clearly remember that I didn't " tick " Auto-Update during the Installation. I un-check it on purpose.
                      I been updating drivers since 15.12 so I was very aware there was such an option.

I guess all it did was to prevent the software automatically download and install the latest driver? Maybe it will still notify you there's a new driver out for download and update ?? We need AMD to confirm this. If so, it's rather stupid. I find it annoying it popping up telling me there's a new driver out for update....

kingfish

I think your right...I have received no notices with the latest beta...but I did with the 16.3.1.

gh0st47

Well one way is either we just stick with it, or update to the new 16.3.2 WHQL...and TO BE SURE we un-check / disable the auto detect update this time and monitor see if there's a new BETA driver releases whether it still auto detects and in future when finally a WHQL releases will it still auto detect.
                              For now the 16.3.1 BETA is rather stable for me, so far no problems.
                              I worry the 16.3.2 WHQL may have problems, the biggest fear when updating to the latest driver....
                              For now I think this is the only solution. Unless if there's an AMD staff here an confirm my theory that the disabling " auto detect update "  all it only does is prevent the Crimson Software / Radeon Settings from automatically DOWNLOAD and INSTALL the latest driver?

gh0st47

Auto Update.jpg
                                So anyways, I've updated to 16.3.2 WHQL Drivers...actually was hoping for a fix Im still facing.
                                Host Application has Stopped Working : Radeon Settings. Which still exist for me even now on 16.3.2 WHQL.
                                I think it's my problem here, something must be conflicting or something

Anyways, I made sure I disable the Auto Detect Update. I cam across this when Im doing it.
                                It stated " Select this to automatically download drivers update. Updates are checked every two weeks. "
                                See how the sentences paused there after written that automatically download drivers update ?
                                I suspect that is AMD is saying, that if you un-select it, it will prevent the Crimson Software from automatically downloading the latest driver updates.
                                BUT ! It will still check for latest driver updates every two weeks, BUT again I think it only check for WHQL ones and not BETA ones.
                                As I recall back during CCC, there's an option, to check for WHQL updates or latest BETA updates.

So IF Im not horribly mistaken, I think we can't do anything to prevent the Crimson Software from checking latest driver updates.
                                I wish an AMD Staff will answer to this post soon to give us a proper and clear answer!

nottaclue1

It appears that there is an AMD Updater task that is created in the Windows task scheduler for the 5th and 25th of every month. Disable and the software should not check for updates.

ruphus

even with

disabling update within C:\Program Files\AMD\CIM\Config\AMD Updater.xml

and

Blocking the all popups by my firewall (comodo - maybe I must use another firewall)

and

Disabling the scheduled update with autoruns

and

unchecking all update checkboxes throughout installation

and

clean uninstalling using safety mode and DDU

today morning I had to realize that the ******* **** driver had updated itself from 16.3.2 to 16.6 .... May it be Windows 10 what updates the driver?! I don't get it....