Disc Drive 1
      Disc Drive 2
      Disc Drive 3{drive3}
      PSUCorsair CX750
      CaseNZXT H440 Razer Edition
      MonitorBenQ RL2455
        • Re: Razer Green Stream Machine(?)
          thewalrus

That motherboard is not equipped to handle that CPU. I suggest you undervolt the CPU by A LOT or get a proper motherboard soon, before the VRM dies. Also, at the very least add a fan blowing on the VRM. The M5A97 has a 4-phase power delivery and it isn't meant to handle 220w TDP chips, not at all. ASUS promises support for 140w chips, max.

Sabertooth 990FX and Crosshair V Formula-Z are the boards I'd recommend. M5A99FX PRO from ASUS and GA-990FXA-UD7 from Gigabyte might work as well if you can't afford the first two.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              mobe

Thanks for your feedback, I pretty much bought my parts on the CPU release so there were no other boards back then if I recall correctly, I haven't faces any problems ever but I'll have a look into it and think about buying on of the 4 motherboards you recommended, they all have a pretty small price difference here in the Netherlands so I might as well buy a Sabertooth when it comes to it.

thewalrus

No problem! I'm glad if I was able to help. I've seen others suffer broken parts in similar situations so that's what I'm trying to avoid. The Sabertooth is a rock-solid, fantastic board that can take almost anything you throw at it. Even though I'm not familiar with what has changed between the different Sabertooth revisions, I think you can't go wrong with any of them. I'd still go for the most recent revision if possible though.

Also, I forgot to say that your setup looks absolutely fantastic. It's just a joy to watch. Excellent job!

mobe

haha it's not finishes yet, I need some LEDs in there but thanks, btw I checked for the GA-990FXA-UD7 and it seems that it's no longer available here in the Netherlands, and since I'm tight on budget and can't afford the Sabertooth anytime soon, do you think a GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 will work as well or would you recommend saving up for a while to eventually buy the sabertooth, I have read about some boards that use 990FX chipsets but can't handle the FX-9370 CPU so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance!

thewalrus

I'm not a hundred percent sure as I'm not very familiar with other AM3+ motherboards, but the UD3 R5 should be ok. I'm fairly certain that Gigabyte officially says the UD3 rev. 5 supports the FX-9xxx-series chips, and the motherboard has a good 8-phase VRM. However I would still advice you to fix a fan to blow on the VRM - even the absolute top motherboards could really use a little help with these chips. They're super high clocked 8-core powerhouses yeah, but man do they punish the power delivery of any motherboard.

Also, you are indeed correct about some 990FX motherboards not supporting 220w TDP chips. I believe ASRock made some 990FX boards that at first looked okay but turned out to be complete disasters because of horribly bad and cheap VRM components and other solutions they used. With AM3+ motherboards it's pretty important to do your research before buying if you're planning on overclocking or if you want to use a 220w TDP CPU.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              mobe

thank you very much for your information, I really appreciate your help, I literally had no idea about the 220W usage of my CPU and never really look beyond the Motherboard supporting an AM3+ CPU, I'll be looking into the extra fans, I'm still using air cooling instead of water (I was about to buy the NZXT Kraken x61 but now that I have to buy a new motherboard it'll have to wait for a bit) I'm using a push/pull config on my CPU and that keeps the temps pretty low but I can always add some extra fans since I have some laying around.

Again thanks for your help, the world needs more people like you!

thewalrus

Thank you for the kind words. I'm always glad if I can help at all in any way.

It's actually a good thing you're using an air cooler at the moment as it gives some airflow to the motherboard VRM as well. When using liquid cooling it's even more important to have a fan blowing directly on the motherboard VRM as the airflow around the CPU socket is reduced. Basically even if the CPU is nice and cool, the motherboard VRM can be incredibly hot. Manufacturers usually use higher-end components on their high-end motherboards which means they can take more of that heat. But even they have their limits, which is why you often see people setting up fans blowing down on to the motherboard where the VRM heatsinks are when overclocking or when using the FX-9xxx CPUs.

What I mean is something like this; http://cdn.overclock.net/f/f5/f5a3fbd8_PLjtFh.jpeg or http://cdn.overclock.net/a/a0/500x1000px-LL-a0a3a3f5_DSC_0146.jpeg  - get creative with the mounting. When I was using an FX-8350 with a 5GHz+ overclock, I just secured a 92mm Noctua fan right on the VRM with zip ties. Wasn't very pretty but it worked wonders for my VRM temps. A friend of mine used two 80mm fans I believe, also using zip ties to secure them in. He did the smart thing which was to use black Noiseblocker fans and the result actually looked totally awesome. Plus it worked perfectly. The best move would probably be to try and make a brace of some sort, but stuff like zip ties still works completely fine. As long as the fan isn't completely loose, you're okay. I mean you don't need to run it at a super high rpm either, as the point is to just get some directed airflow on the VRM heatsink. One important note is to get the fan in as close as possible to the heatsink, we found that this makes the whole deal a lot more effective.

Really it just comes down to protecting your investment. If everything works out well, I'll be happy.

william

mobe Lovely setup, it looks absolutely awesome.

• Re: Razer Green Stream Machine
                          iamthesaga

The looks are fantastic.  I would imagine the functionality is as well.