7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2016 3:14 AM by kingfish

why does your software not find updates?

johnorion

Was wondering why AMD Gaming Evolved doesn't find updates?

I was on Oculus's forum because they seem to dislike AMD and will fail a system (say its not compatible) if it is running an AMD processor and I wanted to find out why because in the SteamVR test, my AMD system blew away some systems with a i5 and beat some systems with an i7.  While there I saw someone state that they couldn't update to 16.3.2.  I responded by saying since 16.3.1 is their latest beta driver that could be why you cant install 16.3.2 ... then I checked your website and saw there was a new driver. I opened my AMD Gaming Evolved again and it said driver up to date with the 16.3.1 driver and when i clicked the Check for update it says I'm up to date. I feel foolish because I can't remove my post on Oculus now... Guess I will have to put in a note that AMD's software didn't notify me that there was a new driver.

If I check the AMD Radeon Settings and go to update there .. then run the check .. it does find the new driver but ... if I hadn't seen the post I wouldn't have known since I never use the check button on the Radeon Settings and the AMD Gaming Evolved checks for updates every time I launch it, I didn't think I had too.

Guess the checking for updates in AMD Gaming Evolved is broken ... I have always found the drivers by going to the website or hearing it on a tech channel that there has been an update... AMD Gaming Evolved has never once told me I needed to update a driver when a new one came out ... it always says I'm "up to date"

• Re: why does your software not find updates?
          johnorion

ahh I see. .. well I guess raptr shouldn't be automatically installed then. If they want to include it, then it should be a selectable option not a selected one ... (not an optional download... its installed by default unless you uncheck it and there is no way to not download it because its part of the driver installer... though I do notice that it does download it separately during the install).

If you are force bundling software with your drivers, it should function  properly with your stuff. Now raptr is forcing this play,tv garbage to run every time you launch it with no way to stop it from launching so I think AMD needs to rid themselves of this addition... or at least make it an optional install instead of a 'default' selected item in their installs. I liked it because I can keep track of how long I have played a game and after maybe 5-10 years I may be able to collect enough points to get 5 percent off a game (ok the second part is a joke because the points are useless but I do like knowing how many hours I've played a game). It sucks that you have to close play.tv every time you launch Gaming Evolved but I guess that's something I have to take up with raptr if I choose to continue to use that software but with this play.tv crap .. probably not.

AMD Radeon Settings software doesn't work right either .... Its set to 'automatically download new drivers' according to the driver install but it has never done that once ... in fact again .. it doesn't even check for new drivers .. i had to manually go into the program and click a button to get it to find that there was a new driver. How come other companies can have it check for updates but AMD's software can't. I get notifications all the time from most all of my other software if there is an update. I have to find out if AMD has an update by seeing it on a tech channel or coming across it on a forum.

I guess if I want to make sure  I have the latest AMD driver I will have to go to AMD.com every day to check.... not really a good thing AMD... you may want to fix that.

kingfish

Ahh....the perfect place for a 2 year old copy/paste:

How to remove raptr/gaming evolved

johnorion

this link is actually obsolete because all you have to do is uninstall raptr using standard methods (its removable through "Programs and Features").... no need to edit the registry. You can then, every time you install a new AMD driver ... make sure you unselect AMD Gaming Evolved.

What I'm saying is .. if they are going to bundle software that doesn't work properly then it should not be an automatic install. It should be an optional install which it really isn't (optional install means you have the option to choose to install it not you have the option to choose not to install it) . I knew from the start that AMD Gaming Evolved was raptr but I figured it was a "custom version" created by AMD in conjunction with raptr but I guess AMD just paid to have its name on the title bar.

Again, this just looks bad for AMD. They need to do something about it ... either talk to raptr and get the check for updates to work properly or at least get some software that actually will check for a new driver. They need to stop default installing ratpr with their drivers and make it an selectable option not a default option.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just getting annoyed. I am actually an AMD fan. I have 3 computers all running AMD processors and AMD video cards. Its just that every other manufacturer can seem to let you know if there is a driver update for their hardware except for AMD and they have been around for a very long time. They really need to do something about this issue because it doesn't look good for the company if their hardware becomes obsolete unless you go and take the time to search to see if there is an update. They shouldn't have a checkbox on their installer that says "automatically download new drivers" or whatever it says, if the program isn't actually going to even look for new drivers.

The installation and the programs running make you believe you are running and are going to be running the latest software even when you aren't. This is what is not a GOOD thing.  Some people actually still use the CD that comes with their card to install drivers. Not everyone who buys an AMD card is going to have the computer knowledge that I have and not a lot of people actually search for new drivers they just install the new ones that are offered by their hardware (with a popup or something that says "this device has an update do you wish to download it"). So those people are going to be running older obsolete drivers, start running into issues with games, think that their AMD card is garbage and not want to buy another AMD product.

This is why this needs to be addressed. It doesn't matter to me that AMD Gaming Evolved is made by raptr. If AMD is going to bundle it with their driver and label it as their own then AMD needs to get on raptr's tail and get them to fix it so their software does actually check properly for driver updates or it needs to be something that isn't automatically installed with the installation process. I should not have to contact raptr to have them fix something that AMD installs on my PC. If AMD is going to install it on my PC than AMD has the responsibility to make sure that it work properly.

kingfish

Raptr (gaming evolved) is not a AMD program....it is a optional installation. Frequently spits out wrong info. Issues should be directed to raptr.