13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2017 10:40 AM by kingfish

black screen after driver install HD 7850

morganw333

hi I have an gigabyte hd 7850 but everytime I install the drivers (and I have tried a number of different drivers and versions) I get to the windows 7 splash screen and then everything goes black. the monitor stays on but nothing else.

I can see the bios screen and splash screen and if I boot in safe mode I can get into windows etc

Is my gpu stuffed or can it be fixed?

• Re: black screen after driver install HD 7850
          amdmatt

We'd like to help, but you have not provided any information.

morganw333

Gigabyte GV-R785OC-2GD 2GB

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Tried lots of different drivers

Tried DVI and HDMI

Tried with different types of ram Ripjaws DDR3 1600mhz, Corsier DDR2 800mhz and 1066mhz

tried Phenom II x6 1100T - M4A88TD-EVO and

C2Q 6600 - ASRock G41C-GS

Enermax 720w and a High Power 420w power supplies.

Basically I have tested it on 2 different systems both with the same result and on both these systems other gpus work fine.

xeleron

Test the GPU in another system.Also,you can burn an UBCD to an CD/DVD (or usb flash if you know how) and among the tools included you have video stress test.It will test the gpu and inform you of any errors that might show up.

As for the windows behaviour,it is normal for the gpu to show the windows GUI in safe mode because in safe mode the video drivers are not loaded.Either way,by the simptoms you describe I would call the video card dead.

scmustang23

I have a very similar (read same) issue. Will post more information once I can boot into my machine!

• Dell Optiplex XE (2010) (obviously not a hardcore gamer, just need a PC to practice my flying on and, until yesterday, this rig has worked flawlessly with new Q9300 and Radeon 7950)
                • Intel Q9300
                • 8 GB DDR3 RAM
                • Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 (single monitor, LG 49" 4K TV, HDMI-out)

Hadn't started my machine in 3 weeks (as of yesterday, 4/20/2016) and hadn't connected to the internet since then, either. BUT, I do have auto updates turned on. Fired up Flight Simulator X and started a 2 hour flight. 1 hour in, screen turned blue and white checkered and audio went to terrible droning sound. Rebooted machine. Showed the windows logo on black backdrop "starting Windows" then goes to black screen and no sound. Went into Safe Mode, deleted driver, deleted everything AMD/ATI, reinstalled drivers from disk (15.x) and it worked for about 15 minutes. Went into Crimson Settings and clicked "update". As soon as the update (16.x) installed, it rebooted and did the black screen thing again. This time, uninstalled everything using IObit Uninstaller and wiped out all the ATI/AMD/Raptr/Vulkan folders in Programs Files. Reinstalled from disk. This time, it would not boot again. As soon as I delete all AMD drivers, I can boot into Windows 7 just fine (not Safe Mode, but regular boot), but no AMD software/settings.

Contacted Sapphire support and they said they believe my GPU is bad. However:

1. I have had this GPU since Christmas.
                2. It works perfectly fine in Safe Mode.
                3. After reinstalling drivers 1st time, it worked wonderfully.
                4. I can see BIOS splash and "Starting Windows" black screen with logo, so this doesn't sound like bad GPU to me...

ANY guidance would be so appreciated! Yes, my GPU is under warranty, but I don't think replacing will solve this issue.

xeleron

Of course telling us what operating system you have would help us tremendously.As for the gpu crash with drivers installed and the flawless behaviour without amd drivers installed it is normal because windows,in the lack of a driver uses the standard vga graphics adapter.The standard vga graphics adapter doesn't use gpu logic for video processing (only the video output),it relies on the CPU to perform video tasks using an emulation platform called WARP (Windows advanced rasterisation program).Try the gpu in another system if you can and see wether you have any improvements.

morganw333

I managed to get mine going by using the oven trick. I baked it in the oven for 10 minutes on 200 degrees Celsius. now it goes great im using it right now. I think I may have broken the sensor though as when I load a game It says its at 100 degrees for about 10mins then drops to 55. Its not hot to touch though so I don't worry about it. But since yours is under warrenty I'll return it. I m guessing  my problem was some solder had come lose

rjbones

I got same exact issue. My display goes black as soon as I load the official AMD driver. The only way to get it working is to use the generic windows display driver.  I already tried different versions of amd driver as well as the crimson versions. PC specs: Windows 10 64 bit, 8Gb RAM, Motherboard Gigabyte GA-A55M-DS2, Proc A8- 3870, Award modular BIOS v6.00PG