System Specs: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 (Driver 16.1 last working flawlessly), Emerson LF320EM4A, Gigabyte 970AD3P r1, 8GB G-skill Ripjaws 1866 (Properly Clocked), Windows 10 64 Pro
I've long been using my Sapphire 6870 and my Emerson T.V. together. The resolution isn't great, but I've never had any issues until recently. I booted up and once I got the Windows loading screen for a few seconds, I got only a black screen. I have changed nothing at all about the setup that has been working for a year or two now, aside from Windows updating itself. I then took the following steps and got the following results.
1. Reboot = Black Screen after Windows loading screen
2. Reinstallation = floating message stating that the output resolution isn't supported after Windows loading screen
3. Boot in low resolution mode = floating message stating that the output resolution isn't supported after Windows loading screen
4. Boot allowing unsigned drivers = floating message stating that the output resolution isn't supported after Windows loading screen
5. Swapped the television for a 1080p = Works flawlessly
6. While using the new t.v. I installed driver 16.1 (exact same one that has worked for quite a while) & I lowered the resolution to native for the Emerson t.v. and reconnected the Emerson = floating message stating that the output resolution isn't supported after Windows loading screen
7. Repeated steps 3 & 4 with no change
8. I replaced the video card with an old GeForce 9500 GT = Works flawlessly
In addition to these steps, I've reseated hardware, and lowered the resolution an additional time with no change in results. I've concluded that my television, my graphics card, and everything else I own work great until I pair the Emerson and the Radeon, even though they have worked well together for years with no changes. I love my old 9500 GT, but it doesn't compare to the Radeon. Are there any ideas out there, besides buying newer hardware? Because an R9 and a 4k sound pretty nice, but I can't afford them. lol.