19 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2016 9:49 AM by fsadough

2 x 7 Video Wall via W9100

bbrotcke

I have a project that will be deploying a 2 wide by 7 high (portrait orientation) video wall. Displays will be Samsung UD55E-S. These displays are capable of displaying UHD content (3840 x 2160) resolution via a displayport 1.2 input and DP loop out daisy-chained to 3 additional displays.

Would I be able to utilize 4 of the W9100 DP outputs by segmenting the video wall by essentially arranging it as 4 UHD "displays" (2x2 display configuration x 3 and 1x2 configuration x 1) without any additional equipment for frame locking, etc?

Thank you in advance for any help!

-Ben

• Re: 2 x 7 Video Wall via W9100
          amdmatt

Adding our Firepro expert fsadough.

fsadough

No you can't. You need a S400 card

bbrotcke

I apologize for my confusion, but I thought the S400 would only be needed when syncing video outputs from multiple pc/sources. In this configuration, I had planned on utilizing a single W9100 and using 4 of the 6 outputs. Is the S400 needed for syncing outputs off of a single card?

Thank you again for your help.

Ben

fsadough

No, as long as you use one card, no S400 is needed. The S400 is only needed to synch the outputs from 2x or more different graphics cards.

jantesberger

Sorry to kick in here. I was going to post my own question, but I think this is the same. In my case I want to run a 3x3 Videowall (and it'd be great if I could use all 12 outputs for a 4x3 wall). So I understand correctly that with only one PC but two Cards I will still need the S400?

EDIT:

I forgot to mention. Those 9 Screens in 3x3 Need to be operating in Eyefinity mode. For our application Windows needs to see a single screen. We used to have two W600 cards in the workstation, but I ordered two W9100 when I read on the product page that they could do it. So far I haven't had any success to create an eyefinity group with screens of both cards. We're using full hd resolution, only. Five screens on the first card, four on the second.

Jochen

bbrotcke

Thanks for chiming in! When you were using the multiple W600s in an single case, did you have to use an S400? We are looking at a 2x7 video wall that will be operating as a single screen. The displays that we are using will provide some flexibility for deployment where we can use a single output to provide the signal for four of the displays (which is a built-in function of the display panel). It may end up being more cost effective to use 3 W600s and 1:1 output to each display.

How was your experience with the W600s?

Thanks!

Ben

jantesberger

Ben,

so far I have no experience with the S400 and I was asking here since I'm not quite sure when one needs it. Also if I need it I'll have to order it right now so I can get this to work before I go on Holiday in a weeks time.

With the W600 I could not get Eyefinity to work with two cards. From the info I could find they cannot do it. Hence I bought the 2xW9100 and still no luck. I'm waiting for confirmation that the S400 will enable the functionality.

What was possible with the W600, though, was to use the normal Desktop extension to drive up to twelve screens. I even managed to play a full HD Video (using VLC) across cards. I cannot confirm if that was using Hardware based video acceleration, however. Otherwise I liked the W600. It is very small and Needs no additional PCI power cables. OTOH it was quite a job to shoehorn the full size W9100s into my chassis.

We used the trick with the loop in the past. Each Display grabbed a fraction of the Image. We didn't use the DP1.2 functionality of streaming two signal through one output, if that is what you are planning. We also didn't use eyefinity for that but the two outputs of the onboard graphics. If you use 4k to end up with Full HD on each screen it should look nice. But I'm worried about the odd number of 7 Screens. You'd have to combine 2x4k + 2x1080 into an eyefinity group. I have no idea if that will work.

fsadough

W600 does not support Framelock/Genlock, hence not compatible with S400 at all. Using two or more W7100 and above requires the installation of a S400 card to synch the outputs from both cards and the special Multi-GPU SLS driver. Please keep in mind that S400 is only needed, when a video wall is required. If you are planning to run independent displays (No Eyefinity) then the S400 and Multi-GPU SLS driver are not needed.

- Each S400 can run 4x FirePro graphics (W7100 and above) in one single PC, provided that you have 4x true PCIE x16 slots

- Multiple PC can also be synched using S400 as host and clients.

jantesberger

Thanks! I have ordered the S400.

I saw a driver package for the S400 on the download page. Does this contain the Multi-GPU SLS Driver?

fsadough

Honestly, I don't even know why drivers are associated to the S400 card. You install the driver for the graphics card and not for the S400. Once S400 is connected to the supported graphics card via special ribbon, it will be automatically detected in the FirePro driver. The Multi-GPU SLS driver is not listed anywhere and it will be provided to customers as per request.

bbrotcke

Thank you for the info. If I was looking at doing a 3x 4K and 2 x 1080 video wall in a 2 x7 configuration using Eyefinity, is that possible with a single W9100 (and would I need an S400 for use with a single card in Eyefinity mode) or would I be better off to use 4 x W7100 with a S400? And thank you again for the assistance.

fsadough

I didn't understand your request. You are trying to create an Eyefinity setup with two different resolutions?!  Our graphics cards support up to 6x displays. For any Eyefinity configuration above 6x displays you would need an S400.

• 4x W7100 will give you 16x displays from the actual DP outputs.
                                    • A single W9100 will give you 6x displays from the actual DP outputs.
                                        bbrotcke

So, the way that the signal would be distributed is a little out of the norm. The displays that we are using (Samsung UD55E-S) has the capability of taking a single 4K output and distribute the signal to three additional displays (i.e. a 2x2 video wall configuration) to essentially turn four 1080p displays into a single 4K display. We are planning on installing a 2 x 7 configuration. With the display’s capabilities, we could, in theory, use three 4K outputs to provide signal for 12 of the 14 displays. The last two would need to provide a 1080p signal out of two of the card’s outputs. This would result in an overall resolution of 13440 x 2160.

Is this possible with the W9100?

Thanks!

twilleat

Does the Multi-GPU SLS driver support 2 FirePro W600 cards? We have a video wall with 12 displays (4x3) and would like to have all 12 appear as a single monitor. When we tried to create 2 Eyefinity groups in CCC, the displays just started flashing on/off. The Windows 10 desktop was extended across all displays. Should it not be? Would the Multi-GPU SLS driver allow us to create 1 group of 12 displays?