AnsweredAssumed Answered

CS:GO Screen flickering issue during menuing as well as in game

Question asked by blargg on Mar 26, 2016
Latest reply on Jun 16, 2018 by zairen

I'm having an issue and I'm looking for answers. When in CS:GO menu to choose a game (play, community servers, etc) AND in game on *any* map I am experiencing flickering. For a fraction of a second will be white or black (always horizontal) box will be drawn on the screen, it's often an inch or 1/2 inch "block" that appears, stretching across the entire screen. It will flicker very fast almost as if a menu or something was trying to open for just a fraction of a second. This happens regardless of what's happening on the screen and there's no one thing I can do to reproduce it, but it is reliably reproducible. It happens in every single game session.

Rough system specs:

Windows 10

Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 motherboard

1200 W Thermaltake PSU

Intel i7 4770K 3.5 GHz processor (not overclocked)

Patriot 8 GB DDR3 RAM (x4)

XFX AMD Radeon R9 Fury X GPU (not overclocked)

BenQ XL2430T monitor

BenQ monitor settings: In-game display profile: "CS GO", 1080 x 1920 resolution, 144 Hz

This is the troubleshooting I've done thus far, NOTHING has resolved the issue:

- I've tried reinstalling and updating to BenQ's most recent display pilot software, v2.22

- I've tried rolling back, reinstalling, and updating to the most recent GPU drivers for my R9 Fury X GPU

- I've tried updating my motherboard's BIOS

- I've tried using several different display port cables, and HDMI, to no effect

- The issue occurs on ANY display profile setting (I have not set up a custom profile configuration, but all of the FPS defaults that I've used (FPS1, FPS2, CSGO etc) experience the issue.)

- I've tried to reproduce this problem in other games (specifically Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Seige and Arma III) and the issue does not occur, in fact the monitor preforms beautifully in that game!

- I tried Verifying the game cache, and went so far as to reinstall the game, this did not resolve the issue.

- I noticed that the issue happens in other Source engine games, I can reproduce the problem in TF2, it's exactly the same.

- The issue occurs on other monitors (I tried to reproduce the problem on my Asus VS247H 60 Hz monitor and I can reproduce the problem). I can also reproduce the problem on the BenQ monitor running at 60, 120 and 144 Hz

- There is no change I can make on my graphics card's settings to resolve the issue in the AMD Radeon Control Panel settings

- Enabling V-Sync via in-game CS:GO settings fixes the issue! This leads me to believe it's something related to frame buffering, I -really- don't want to use V-sync, so I need this fixed!

- Running csgo.exe in Compatability mode for Windows 8 resolves the issue, but the problem with doing this is that there's definitely a performance drop when running it like this...

Here's a video of the issue:

CS:GO flickering issue - YouTube

(it happens twice, once at :57 and again at around 1:24)

Is anyone else experiencing this? Anyone have any ideas how to fix it? I've tried about everything I can think of.

Outcomes