6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2017 2:38 PM by d2beetle

All Purpose

d2beetle

ALL Purpose 08132017.JPG

Description

This is my secondary work and game computer. This is 2 of 3 computers that I use and it runs BOINC 24/7.

Specifications

CPUAMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
      CoolerZalman (CNPS9700)
      MotherboardGigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
      MemoryCorsair Dominator Blue 8GB DDR3 1600 MHZ (CMP8GX3M4A1600C8)
      Graphics(x2) XFX RX-460 (RX-460P4D) (CrossFire)
      Disc Drive 1WD Black 1 TB (WD1003FZEX)
      Disc Drive 2HP 1265i 24x Double Layer DVD +/-RW/CD-RW
      PSUCorsair CX750M
      CaseCorsair Obsidian 750D
      Monitor 1
      Samsung 59 Inch Plasma Full HDTV 1080P (PN59D530A3F)
      Operating SystemWindows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit with Media Center
      Audio SystemDenon AVR-S700W (HDMI / Digital 7.1)
        • Re: All Purpose
          d2beetle

This build has been moved into the family room and connected to the entertainment center and the 59" plasma.

E-Center.JPG

kxuping

Can you share pictures of your HT setup? I want ideas 4 mine.

d2beetle

Well I was having some video issues with this computer; the new update for Path of Exile was getting choppy; so I decided to get a new video card. I choose an XFX 570 4GB which did not work in this computer!

As it turns out, there are no Win 8 drivers for this card; only Win 7 64 Bit and Win 10 64 Bit. Not certain why that is, but that is all that is available, even on AMD's support site. Anyway I thought something was amiss when I booted it and the Motherboard splash screen did not display properly; it was blinking 8-bit ASCII Character squares! Despite that the OS did boot, but the graphics were low and would not let me load any new video drivers. So frustrated as I was, I removed the video cards from OLD Gamer, installed them and all is as it should be!

So, ironically the root of the problem was that all of the filters and fans were coated in dust ... so with poor air flow, it was actually over heating!!