48 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2018 4:38 AM by pvt.duckling

Wrong freesync range - Samsung u28e590d

axis100

Hi,

I recently buy a new monitor, Samsung u28e590d. The specifications and all reviews says it has a 40-60 freesync range, but in my case crimson shows a 54-64 freesync range. If I set the monitor to 60hz in Windows, it simply change to 54-60 on crimson (but seems like freesync doesn't work propperly). If I set the monitor to 64hz in Windows, freesync seems to work fine, but the range (54-64) is so limited.

I'm using a i7 6700k, with motherboard asus z170-p and GPU is a gigabyte r9 390 g1 gamming. OS is Windows 10 Pro N 64bits.

I'm using latest crimson drivers (16.3.1), but I have tested it with crimson 16.3, 16.2.1, 16.2 and catalyst 15.7 (always using DDU on safe mode). I've tried 2 different DP cables. Freesync is obviously enabled in OSD monitor and enabled on crimson drivers.

I don't know where is the problem, and why some people with same monitor have the correct range (40-60) and some others (like me) have a creepy 54-64 freesync range. Maybe Win10 could be the cause?

I appreciate any suggestion. Thanks.

• Re: Wrong freesync range - Samsung u28e590d
          amdmatt

In your monitor's on screen display, are you using FreeSync Standard or Ultimate Engine? Standard should offer 50-60HZ and Ultimate should offer 40-60HZ.

Have you ever used CRU to overclock a monitor? What about a monitor you had before you used this one? I ask this as i had a similar issue a long time ago, i overclock a monitor using a third party tool and Windows kept remembering the overclock and different refresh rate. It would always show in Windows as 64HZ, even though in actual fact it was running at 60HZ.

axis100

First of all, thanks for your answer.

I think that option (freesync standard or ultimate engine) it's just for Samsung u24e590 (ips), not for Samsung u28e590 (tn). At least, that says the monitor's manual. There is just 'enabled' or 'disabled' freesync option. I have it enabled, same on crimson drivers.

I haven't used anything to overclock the monitor. In fact, if monitor's range would be correct (40-60) I want to use that program to increase it to 32-60 or 34-60 or something like that. But, as I have an incorrect range (40-60), I haven't tried that program, because I think it would be dangerous to increase from 54-64 to 34-60 or similar. I want to have the correct range (40-60) before try anything like that program to increase freesync range. So answer is no, I haven't used anything like that yet.

amdmatt

I understand, sorry i thought that the various modes were present on the other Samsung displays.

Have you installed the monitor drivers? http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/it/monitor/uhd-monitor/LU28E590DS/EN

axis100

Yes, I installed the monitor drivers. In fact, I have tried the drivers that came on the cd and the drivers from the official site, but didn't change anything. I don't know what could be causing that problem.

amdmatt

Can you try using the FreeSync demo to see what ranges FreeSync is working in?

axis100

I tried that freesync demo yesterday. In that demo, freesync is working propperly, but there're just 60fps and fps sweep options, so I can't say anything about range (always working at 59-60fps).

amdmatt

Set the FPS to 45-50 and test.

axis100

As I said before, I have that demo (same version 0.9.1) and there are only 2 options: '60fps' and 'fps sweep'. The options in the picture you've post (45, 50, 55 fps) are not appearing in my case, just the two options I said.

I tried to uninstall the demo, and download it again from the web you've posted, but same result, just the two options: '60fps' or 'fps sweep'.

amdmatt

Use FRTC to cap the FPS to 45-50.

axis100

I used FRTC to cap fps at 45 and then tried the freesync demo, and something curious happened: the demo doesn't cap at 45 (it runs at 59-60) and have a lot of tearing (with FreeSync enabled and VSync disabled); when I disable FRTC not having any tearing on the demo (with Freesync enabled and Vsync disabled).

I tried 3 times to be sure of that; also I tried to use FRTC on the profile demo, then disabled and used FRTC on the global settings; tried also to cap at 50fps; same result all times: if I use FRTC the demo doesn't cap fps and having lot of tearing (freesync doesn't works), if I don't use FRTC not having any tearing.

EDIT: I don't know if it's true, but I read that the demo always pick low freesync range +5. If that's true, it will explain why in my case the demo shows just '60fps' and 'fps sweep' options; and it would prove that actually my freesync range is that creepy 54-64 that crimson shows me, not the 40-60 range that is supposed to be (according to specs and all the reviews I found).

EDIT2: I just see that if I disable freesync on the OSD monitor and then run the demo (obviously with no freesync) I have the other fps options (45, 50, 55...), so it must be what I wrote above. Now I'm sure of freesync range (54-64), so question is: windows10 problem? crimson problem? gpu? monitor problem? Must I try the program that increase freesync range? I will appreciate any suggestion.

pvt.duckling

Did you ever get it fixed? I have the same monitor and same problem.

axis100

No, never fixed it. Maybe that monitor is really 54-64, but I don't understand why there are some people/reviews who talk about 40-60.

amdmatt

Hey Folks,

I have passed this feedback onto engineering, we're investigating to find out:

A) What the real FreeSync range is

B) If this is a bug in our drivers.

pvt.duckling

I get tearing in the FreeSync windmill program when the FPS is between the 54 and 60 FPS. I can have 58 FPS and it still tears, so it's probably the drivers.

And AMD, for the love of god fix your website for mobile users!

axis100

I can help you with that. If I set my monitor on 60hz I also have tearing, it's like freesync doesn't work propperly. If I set monitor on 64hz freesync works perfectly between 54-64, no tearing.

amdmatt

Are you setting the refresh rate via Windows Display Properties?

pvt.duckling

Well, I mean, it IS set to 54-64hz in Crimson and all, but people around the web thinks it may be because the monitor can't actually go above 60Hz unless the driver is properly installed or something. But FreeSync doesn't work at all for me anyway, atleast in most games from what I can see.

axis100

In my case, my monitor is always set to 64hz (with freesync enabled; with freesync disabled the max you can go is 60hz). For example, in a lot of games, on in-game graphic settings I can set the resolution (4k, 2k or whatever) and 64hz (or 60, 59...); another example, if I enable vsync in-game (with freesync enabled on monitor settings and crimson) games works at 64fps (according to the 64hz).

Have you tried to install the monitor drivers? If not, try it: 28" U28E590D UHD Monitor, FreeSync, 60Hz, x2 HDMI | Samsung UK

PD: I imagine you have it connected via Display Port, try another DP cable if you can.

AmdMatt: Yes, I'm setting the refresh rate via Windows Display Properties

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                                            amdmatt

Hi Folks,

Please can you provide a EDID from the display?

Go to http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/EDID-Viewer-Download-76493.html  and download/unzip the file.

Run ELDIM EDIDViewer,

click on "Read EDID" and then "Read EDID from Windows Registry".

If "Monitor Display Selection" shows up, select the appropriate Display from it and click on "Show EDID Information."

Once loaded, click on "File->Save as RTF File" and save it as EDID.rtf (do this for each monitor, as EDID1.rtf, EDID2.rtf, EDID3.rtf).

Please double check and confirm to me the following.

What resolution and refresh rate is currently set in Windows?

If it is enabled, please disable VSR. Use Display Settings -> advanced settings set 1920x1080p @60Hz. Verify if FreeSync Range is corrected by testing.

Enable FreeSync, run an application and use the Display OSD to confirm what the refresh rate the display is running at.

axis100

1- Set in windows: 3840x2160p @64Hz (if freesync is enabled on OSD monitor settings) and 3840x2160p @60Hz (if freesync is disabled on OSD monitor settings). Monitor is a native 4k, so no DSR here. By the way, that freesync range (54-64) is showing in 4k, 2k, 1080p, etc. As I said before in another message, if I set the monitor, on windows display properties, to 60hz, range is 54-60, but in fact, freesync doesn't works propperly (lot of tearing in games, on windmill demo, etc.), if is set to 64hz, freesync works fine.

2- EDID info:

EDID ( Extended Display Identification Data) Report

Vendor/Product Identification:

Monitor Name : U28E590

Monitor Serial Number : HTPGA01148

Manufacturer Name : Samsung

Product Id : 0:00:00430

Serial Number : 810375238

Week Of Manufacture : 43

Year Of Manufacture : 2015

EDIDVersion : V1.4

Number Of Extension Flag : 1

Display parameters:

Video Input Definition : Digital Signal

DFP1X Compatible Interface : True

Max Horizontal Image Size : 610 mm

Max Vertical Image Size : 350 mm

Max Display Size : 27,7 Inches

Power Management and Features:

Standby : Not Supported

Suspend : Not Supported

ActiveOff : Supported

Video Input : 3

sRGB Default ColorSpace : False

Default GTF : Supported

Prefered Timing Mode : True

Gamma/Color and Etablished Timings:

Display Gamma : 2,2

Red : x = 0,634 - y = 0,341

Green : x = 0,312 - y = 0,636

Blue : x = 0,158 - y = 0,062

White : x = 0,312 - y = 0,329

Etablished Timings :

800 x 600 @ 60Hz (VESA)

800 x 600 @ 56Hz (VESA)

640 x 480 @ 60Hz (IBM, VGA)

1024 x 768 @ 60Hz (VESA)

Display Type : Undifined

Standard Timing:

Standard Timings n° 2

X Resolution : 1280

Y Resolution : 720

Vertical Frequency : 60

Standard Timings n° 3

Y Resolution : 1024

Standard Timings n° 4

X Resolution : 1600

Y Resolution : 900

Preferred Detailed Timing:

Pixel Clock : -66,36 Mhz

Horizontal Active : 3840 pixels

Horizontal Blanking : 294 pixels

Horizontal Sync Offset : 8 pixels

Horizontal Sync Pulse Width : 32 pixels

Horizontal Border : 0 pixels

Horizontal Size : 607 mm

Vertical Active : 2160 lines

Vertical Blanking : 66 lines

Vertical Sync Offset : 52 lines

Vertical Sync Pulse Width : 8 lines

Vertical Border : 0 lines

Vertical Size : 345 mm

Input Type : Digital Separate

Interlaced : False

VerticalPolarity : False

HorizontalPolarity : True

Monitor Range Limit:

Maximum Vertical Frequency : 64 Hz

Minimum Vertical Frequency : 54 Hz

Maximum Horizontal Frequency : 142 KHz

Minimum Horizontal Frequency : 142 KHz

Maximum Pixel Clock : 600 MHz

Stereo Display:

Stereo Display : Normal display (no stereo)

RAW Data:

0x00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 4C 2D 4D 0C 46 58 4D 30

0x10 2B 19 01 04 B5 3D 23 78 3B 5F B1 A2 57 4F A2 28

0x20 0F 50 54 23 08 00 81 00 81 C0 81 80 A9 C0 B3 00

0x30 95 00 01 01 01 01 14 E6 00 26 F1 70 42 80 08 20

0x40 48 0C 5F 59 21 00 00 1A 00 00 00 FD 00 36 40 8E

0x50 8E 3C 01 0A 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 FC 00 55

0x60 32 38 45 35 39 30 0A 20 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 FF

0x70 00 48 54 50 47 41 30 31 31 34 38 0A 20 20 01 44

amdmatt

Thanks, I'll relay the information to engineering.

amdmatt

Hi All,

We are still investigating a lower than expected FreeSync range with this monitor. In order to help the investigation, can users please provide an EDID report using the AMD EDID tool, which is linked here > http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/graphics-development/amd-edid-utility/

Thanks,

Matt

ret2312131

So here is my edid. But as already written i dont see any difference to the above posted one. Not even the serial nr. is different. Is this normal?

EDID ( Extended Display Identification Data) Report

Monitor Name :     U28E590

Monitor Serial Number :     HTPGA00898

Manufacturer Name :     Samsung

Product Id :     00:00:00430

Serial Number :     810375238

Week Of Manufacture :     43

Year Of Manufacture :     2015

EDIDVersion :     V1.4

Number Of Extension Flag :     1

Display parameters:

Video Input Definition :     Digital Signal

DFP1X Compatible Interface :     True

Max Horizontal Image Size :     610 mm

Max Vertical Image Size :     350 mm

Max Display Size :     27,7 Inches

Standby :     Not Supported

Suspend :     Not Supported

ActiveOff :     Supported

Video Input :     3

sRGB Default ColorSpace :     False

Default GTF :     Supported

Prefered Timing Mode :     True

Display Gamma :     2,2

Red :     x = 0,634 - y = 0,341

Green :     x = 0,312 - y = 0,636

Blue :     x = 0,158 - y = 0,062

White :     x = 0,312 - y = 0,329

Etablished Timings :    

800 x 600 @ 60Hz (VESA)

800 x 600 @ 56Hz (VESA)

1024 x 768 @ 60Hz (VESA)

Display Type :     Undifined

Standard Timing:

Standard Timings n°    2

X Resolution :     1280

Y Resolution :     720

Vertical Frequency :     60

Standard Timings n°    3

X Resolution :     1280

Y Resolution :     1024

Standard Timings n°    4

X Resolution :     1600

Y Resolution :     900

Pixel Clock :     -66,36 Mhz

Horizontal Active :     3840 pixels

Horizontal Blanking :     294 pixels

Horizontal Sync Offset :     8 pixels

Horizontal Sync Pulse Width :     32 pixels

Horizontal Border :     0 pixels

Horizontal Size :     607 mm

Vertical Active :     2160 lines

Vertical Blanking :     66 lines

Vertical Sync Offset :     52 lines

Vertical Sync Pulse Width :     8 lines

Vertical Border :     0 lines

Vertical Size :     345 mm

Input Type :     Digital Separate

Interlaced :     False

VerticalPolarity :     False

HorizontalPolarity :     True

Monitor Range Limit:

Maximum Vertical Frequency :     64 Hz

Minimum Vertical Frequency :     54 Hz

Maximum Horizontal Frequency :     142 KHz

Minimum Horizontal Frequency :     142 KHz

Maximum Pixel Clock :     600 MHz

Stereo Display:

Stereo Display :     Normal display (no stereo)

RAW Data:

0x00     00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 4C 2D 4D 0C 46 58 4D 30   

0x10     2B 19 01 04 B5 3D 23 78 3B 5F B1 A2 57 4F A2 28   

0x20     0F 50 54 23 08 00 81 00 81 C0 81 80 A9 C0 B3 00   

0x30     95 00 01 01 01 01 14 E6 00 26 F1 70 42 80 08 20   

0x40     48 0C 5F 59 21 00 00 1A 00 00 00 FD 00 36 40 8E   

0x50     8E 3C 01 0A 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 FC 00 55   

0x60     32 38 45 35 39 30 0A 20 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 FF   

0x70     00 48 54 50 47 41 30 30 38 39 38 0A 20 20 01 39  

jose1234

hi, I used CRU and know I am unable to use the freesync in the Samsung u28e590d monitor

thank

cowtown62

on a side note i bought this monitor and returned it. one of the reasons was i did think the range was below 40 fps and i found it started stuttering and tearing at 30-45 fps. I think this is why im just gonna stick to 144hz 1080p/1440p monitors with really good freesync ranges like the Viewsonic 2701 only 1080p but 144hz and 30-144hz freesync range.

still

amdmatt

I'm having the exact same issue with my U28E590D monitor.

I've installed the monitor driver, enabled Freesync in both the monitor and Crimson, of course.

The reported Freesync range is 54-64, which is really useless.

If I use the CRU utility and modify the refresh rate to 60hz, and Freesync range to 40-60, gaming works great for awhile, then the monitor would turn white randomly, and won't recover until I unplug it off power.

Setup:

RX 480 Asus Strix

Windows 10 64bit

Crimson driver ver. 16.12.2

And here's my native monitor's EDID without using CRU:

Monitor Name : U28E590

Monitor Serial Number : H1AK500000

Manufacturer Name : Samsung

Product Id : 12:00:00 AM430

Serial Number : 1430598969

Week Of Manufacture : 52

Year Of Manufacture : 2014

EDIDVersion : V1.4

Number Of Extension Flag : 1

Display parameters:

Video Input Definition : Digital Signal

DFP1X Compatible Interface : True

Max Horizontal Image Size : 610 mm

Max Vertical Image Size : 350 mm

Max Display Size : 27.7 Inches

Standby : Not Supported

Suspend : Not Supported

ActiveOff : Supported

Video Input : 3

sRGB Default ColorSpace : False

Default GTF : Supported

Prefered Timing Mode : True

Display Gamma : 2.2

Red : x = 0.634 - y = 0.341

Green : x = 0.312 - y = 0.636

Blue : x = 0.158 - y = 0.062

White : x = 0.312 - y = 0.329

Etablished Timings :

800 x 600 @ 60Hz (VESA)

800 x 600 @ 56Hz (VESA)

1024 x 768 @ 60Hz (VESA)

Display Type : Undifined

Standard Timing:

Standard Timings n° 2

Y Resolution : 720

Standard Timings n° 3

Y Resolution : 1024

Standard Timings n° 4

X Resolution : 1600

Y Resolution : 900

Pixel Clock : -66.36 Mhz

Horizontal Active : 3840 pixels

Horizontal Blanking : 294 pixels

Horizontal Sync Offset : 8 pixels

Horizontal Sync Pulse Width : 32 pixels

Horizontal Border : 0 pixels

Horizontal Size : 607 mm

Vertical Active : 2160 lines

Vertical Blanking : 66 lines

Vertical Sync Offset : 52 lines

Vertical Sync Pulse Width : 8 lines

Vertical Border : 0 lines

Vertical Size : 345 mm

Input Type : Digital Separate

Interlaced : False

VerticalPolarity : False

HorizontalPolarity : True

Monitor Range Limit:

Maximum Vertical Frequency : 64 Hz

Minimum Vertical Frequency : 54 Hz

Maximum Horizontal Frequency : 142 KHz

Minimum Horizontal Frequency : 142 KHz

Maximum Pixel Clock : 600 MHz

Stereo Display:

Stereo Display : Normal display (no stereo)

RAW Data:

0x00 00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 4C 2D 4D 0C 39 35 45 55

0x10 34 18 01 04 B5 3D 23 78 3B 5F B1 A2 57 4F A2 28

0x20 0F 50 54 23 08 00 81 00 81 C0 81 80 A9 C0 B3 00

0x30 95 00 01 01 01 01 14 E6 00 26 F1 70 42 80 08 20

0x40 48 0C 5F 59 21 00 00 1A 00 00 00 FD 00 36 40 8E

0x50 8E 3C 01 0A 20 20 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 FC 00 55

0x60 32 38 45 35 39 30 0A 20 20 20 20 20 00 00 00 FF

0x70 00 48 31 41 4B 35 30 30 30 30 30 0A 20 20 01 97

sujus

For the last few months I had exactly the same problem as all of you: default at 54-64Hz and white fading or green display if I reduce the range, even if it's possible without artefacts. (like 36-64 or 33-60)

So I was using the G-Sync Pendulum Demo (works also with Freesync) to see what exactly causes this fading. After several hours I learned that this fading only happens between 54 and 56 fps!

This gives me the possibility to just limit the fps with the Frame Rate Target Control in the Radeon Settings to 54 fps and the bug is gone. I was also able to lower the display refresh rate maximum to 56 to achieve a freesync range of 31-56, which resulted in working freesync between 32 and 54 fps without the fading bug. It's not really a total fix since you have to limit your fps to 54 but it works. Let me know if it also works for you.

sujus

With my recent bug analytics I asked Samsung once again if they could fix the bug. A few days ago they answered and told me the bug is gone with the newest drivers (18.4.1). So I tried to reproduce the bug once again and believe it or not, the bug is really gone!

The default freesync range is still at 56-64Hz, but you can simply modify it to 40-64 (in my case even 36-64) and it works without the white screen bug.

So it looks like Samsung just needed a hint how to reproduce the bug. I hope it works for everyone else as well and I really want to thank Samsung support to finally fix this problem after all these years!

1 of 1 people found this helpful