4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2017 3:36 AM by jamesdev

Triple monitor display

bachovic

Hi,

I have long had a setup with 3 24-inch screens. They are set for the mini display, hdmi and dvi in my Radeon HD 7000 Series. It has worked perfectly
      for long time. When I upgrade tin win10 I could no longer use three displays, but only two. All three screens still worked, I could just only have two monitors active at the same time.

I went back to win7 and everything worked perfectly again.
      Now I have formatted my pc and reinstalled win7 but experiencing the exact same problem as I did when I installed win10. Understand me right, I can use all three screens, but only two active at the same time.
      Windows will not let me extend to the 3rd screen and writes only "display settings were not saved"

AMD driver is the latest. Writes me to do a screen passive before I can activate another.

Anyone have an idea what I can try? has become rather desperate.

• Re: Triple monitor display
          morse

I can only suggest going back to previous drivers - if they worked before, they should work again.

BTW, I needed an active adaptor for my HD7950 to get the third monitor working in eyefinity, if that is any help.

I had DVI to DVI x2 (just normal cables), and the third was an active adaptor (mini DP to HDMI) then a normal HDMI cable to the monitor.

bachovic

Hi guys.

Thanks for your answer. I went to my local IT company in the city and bought, an active mini display to dvi adapter. Like the one I already had. All my three monitors are working at the same time and im happy again. It cost me 26,29 USD / 23,50 EUR. Somehow my passive adapter has worked as an active adapter before i reinstalled my pc.

I have spent a lot of hours to understand how this works, and i hope this can help others. There are at big misunderstanding about passive and active adapters works. Even the guy in the company didn't know it.

Now my setup looks like this:

Screen one is a hdmi cable on both ends, i goes direct from screen to HDMI port in card.

Screen two is a hdmi cable to dvi. the dvi end i put in my new active minidisplay port adapter end then in the minidisplay port in my card

Screen three is hdmi in both ends, but my card only have one hdmi, so i have an minidisplayport adapter from hdmi to minidisplay and then in the last minidisplay port in my card.

I also have two dvi ports in my card. but my screens has only hdmi and vga.

Sorry for bad english

morse

I'm glad you got it working. You are quite right, no one seems to be able to help with these setups. I have now had three different eyefinity setups and it is trial and error each time, and it usually involves purchasing cables or adaptors that turn out to not be needed, until eventually the right combination is found.

The basic rule is that the first two monitors can be plugged in any way you like.

The third monitor (and any further monitors) must be plugged in via Displayport to Displayport, or else must use an active adaptor.

But there are numerous exceptions to this rule and that's where the trial and error comes in.

My first setup (HD5750 x2) did not need any adaptors, I never could work out why.

Then my Sapphire HD7950 Flex needed just one adaptor from the mini DP port .

And for anyone wanting to get their R9 Fury/Nano working in Eyefinity, the rules seem to have changed yet again, though I can find no official info on it. This time though, I'm pleased to say I have got my Nano up and running with NO adaptors:

One HDMI to HDMI and Two DP to HDMI cables.

jamesdev

bachovic wrote:

Hi guys.

Thanks for your answer. I went to my local IT company in the city and bought, an active mini display to dvi adapter. Like the one I already had. All my three monitors are working at the same time and im happy again. It cost me 26,29 USD / 23,50 EUR. Somehow my passive adapter has worked as an active adapter before i reinstalled my pc.

I have spent a lot of hours to understand how this works, and i hope this can help others. There are at big misunderstanding about passive and active adapters works. Even the guy in the company didn't know it.

Now my setup looks like this:

Screen one is a hdmi cable on both ends, i goes direct from screen to HDMI port in card.

Screen two is a hdmi cable to dvi. the dvi end i put in my new active minidisplay port adapter end then in the minidisplay port in my card

Screen three is hdmi in both ends, but my card only have one hdmi, so i have an minidisplayport adapter from hdmi to minidisplay and then in the last minidisplay port in my card.

I also have two dvi ports in my card. but my screens has only hdmi and vga.

Sorry for bad english

Awesome answer, I am at same situation sometimes ago and unable to find a solution. Doing research and found your answer after that trying the process you have suggested and got success.