2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2016 7:50 AM by vandamme23

Computer crashes, freezes, and fails to boot to login? AMD Driver issue possibly?

mythix

System Specs:

GPU: XFX AMD Radeon HD Series 7870

Desktop System

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Driver Version: Approximately a week ago everything worked fine.

I've tried drivers:

16.3.1 \\ 15.12 \\ 15.11 \\ 15.7.1

None have worked. The issue is after installation and a restarting the system, logging in crashes the computer.

Doing a hard reset to reboot computer, fails to load to log in screen but I can get to the log in screen using the Intel Integrated graphics.

Display Devices: Monitor - LG 1080x1920 60Hz  via DVI

DVI fails to work with GPU but VGA works fine with Intel Integrated Graphics.

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
      CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge Quad Core 3.4GHz

PSU: CORSAIR RM750 750W ATX12V
      RAM: 8GBs

Issue: Computer freezes, crashes, or fails to boot to log-in. I'm not 100% completely sure what the issue is now. As I was writing this post up my desktop randomly restarted itself yet again. Now I question whether this is a video driver problem or possibly something else. AMD video drivers still will not work for any reason regardless, unlike Intel Integrated graphics. Computer began crashing just last Friday, not sure if this is a Windows 10 update issue, or a video driver issue, or possibly a hardware issue, or something completely different. Computer crashes just from basic use like web browsing.

Side Note: When logging in using Intel Integrated graphics and loading desktop, basic AMD driver crashes and immediately reports that it recovered successfully. It does this twice without fail.

• Re: Computer crashes, freezes, and fails to boot to login? AMD Driver issue possibly?
          amdmatt

I would firstly try using System Restore to before this occurred, to see if that resolves the issue.

• Re: Computer crashes, freezes, and fails to boot to login? AMD Driver issue possibly?
            vandamme23

I have the exact same issue....  About a week ago, my computer just started randomly crashing...

GPU: AMD Radeon HD Series 7800

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Driver Version: Approximately a week ago everything worked fine.

I've tried drivers:

16.3.1 \\ 15.12 \\ 15.11 \\ 15.7.1

None have worked.  I cannot install any of the drivers

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
            CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K

RAM: 8GBs

Issue: Computer freezes, crashes, or fails to boot.  I think I have finally found the cause, but I do not know why it happens.  After checking a few sites, I looked under settings\updates and found that there was a AMD Display driver that failed installation.  I tried to install it manually and my machine crashed.  I am currently using the MS Basic Display Driver.  I tried to install 5 different versions of the AMD driver and each time it tried to install, my machine crashed.  I have turned off the automatic updates for device drivers in Windows 10(this prevents the AMD Display driver from trying to install), and my machine has been stable for the past week now...  I would like to have the proper AMD Display driver installed, but I cannot get the install to complete without crashing my machine.