2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2016 8:55 AM by kingfish

Random, intermittent video hardware errors.

soxious

Hi there, my computer is a few years old now, bespoke built and aside from having to swap out a second rate power supply I've never had any problems with it:

• Windows 7 64, Intel i7 950 @ 3.07GHz. Corsair H50 cooled.
      • 6 GB Corsair DDR3 RAM.
      • Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
      • ATI Radeon 5870
      • Corsair GS700 PSU
      • Generic flat-screen VGA LCD monitor 1024*768, which is older than the tower itself.
      • Current Driver: Catalyst 15.7.1

Unfortunately as of late, at seemingly random times, the graphics card will cut out, stock fan runs at maximum and the screen goes blank as it's receiving no input from the card, it's hard for me to reproduce the issue at will because it's happened numerous times:

Being idle on the desktop, in the middle of playing a game, browsing the internet, it's even done it while the computer is still booting up.

The PC can't recover from these crashes itself, I am forced to switch the PC off and back on. It first happened a few weeks after I had moved house and installed Crimson on my PC. It worked fine for a while but then this problem cropped up, so I tried going back to Catalyst, this didn't solve the problem. I tried switching surge protectors, as I was using a different, cheaper one to the one I had packed away, wondering whether the extension itself was giving the PC power issues. This seemed to have worked for all of two days before it started happening again.

All the while Windows has been stockpiling video hardware error reports that it cannot find the solution to:

Description

A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 2057

Files that help describe the problem

WD-20160311-2157.dmp

sysdata.xml

WERInternalMetadata.xml

View a temporary copy of these files

Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem

BCCode: 117

BCP1: FFFFFA8008D05010

BCP2: FFFFF88004C1DCAC

BCP3: 0000000000000000

BCP4: 0000000000000000

OS Version: 6_1_7601

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 768_1

The only thing that had changed with regards to set up was Crimson, and the surge protector I'd used, I have unplugged all devices and set them

back up just before typing this, unfortunately I don't have the technical knowledge to investigate what other issues there may be. I don't think heat is an issue as it runs about 50-60C when playing hefty games. I don't believe it can be a short because the issue is unpredictable and doesn't happen at specific moments on a day to day basis.

Perhaps my card is just reaching the end of it's lifetime? Or is there something I could do to fix this?

Appreciate any help!