7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2016 10:26 AM by bh1999

P8Z68-V LX and 2 R9 380's NO X-FIRE :(

bh1999

I was under the impression that this board was compatible with this series of cards in crossfire. Am I wrong? I do not see the option in the Radeon control panel.

I previously had 2 HD6850 card with a bridge installed and they would work in xfire just fine. Is my board to old?

Any help is appreciated.

Brian

• Re: P8Z68-V LX and 2 R9 380's NO X-FIRE :(
          black_zion

x16/x4 so you're going to lose a little performance, but it's not too old. Did you use Display Driver Uninstaller prior to installing the 380s? Also, why did you go with two R9 380s instead of a single Fury Nano? The Nano is $99 more than dual 380s, but has much greater performance without any drawbacks of multi-GPUs.

bh1999

The reason I have 2 of the cards is I got them for almost 1/2 price... otherwise I would have gone with a fury. I did a clean install of the drivers again this morning. (using the AMD cleanup utility first) I disabled the virus protection as instructed, everything went well until the reboot after the install. I got an error message. (see photo)

error.png

And still no crossfire option.

A little more about my system, I am running a I7 3770K )This was the fastest processor I could upgrade to, and the 22nm process enabled PCI 3.0 on the first slot. 32GB of ram. An SSD for the boot drive and a couple of regular drives for storage etc. I do have an inland 600 watt power supply. (purchased when the system was built) Can the cards detect an "un-certified" power supply? I just want to try to figure it out before throwing money at the system.

Thank again.

Brian

black_zion

You have to use Display Driver Uninstaller, the AMD Driver Cleanup Utility doesn't work with the Crimson releases. That power supply is crap and should be replaced, but it won't prevent Crossfire from showing up or activating.

bh1999

Noted on the power supply!

I used the DDU from guru3d (in safe mode) reinstalled and still no change. One thing you mentioned in your original post was about the 16x/4x performance hit. I am looking at my system info in the CCC the 2nd card is in the black PCIe slot and it shows to be operating at PCI 2.0 and running at 2x The primary display is in the Blue PCIe  slot and is running at PCI 3.0 16x. Could this be the issue? I am at a loss on it. I don't think I mentioned it but I am running windows 10. I am going to try to change some of the assignments in the bios for how the display slots are seen by the OS. It is probably irrelevant but I have had 2 HD6850's running in crossfire  prior to upgrading to the 380's. One last thought, when upgrading the processor to the 3770K (22nm) that is what enabled the PCIe 3.0. Prior to that the PCIe slots were both 2.0 with an I5 2500K. Do you think that has anything to do with it?

Thanks for your help with this.

bh1999

Ok so I changed the settings in the bios with regard to the 2nd PCI slot. (none of which enabled crossfire)

However there was an option that appeared on the Gaming tab Global settings.

Here is what that is: Frame pacing

extra option.png

On another note, the 2nd card says it is "linked' and no matter what I set the 2nd PCI slot to it will not "unlink" I have 2 monitors and the second monitor will not display anything now that the 2nd card is linked? I will probably have to uninstall the drivers and reinstall again to "unlink" it?!?

Baffled..

black_zion

Linked means Crossfire is enabled.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  bh1999

@black_zion

YOU ARE CORRECT. Thank you so much! I was hung up on there being a selection for Crossfire.

I confirmed with 3DMark Firestrike benchmark.

For anyone else who has a similar issue I am including how to get crossfire to work on the P8Z 68-V LX board.

1. Reboot and enter the BIOS, chose the "Exit/Advanced" mode.

20160321_105822.jpg

2. Chose Advanced mode from the menu

20160321_105827.jpg

3. Choose the "Advanced" tab across the top menu.

20160321_105835.jpg

4. Choose "Onboard Devices Configuration"

20160321_105914.jpg

5. Select the "PCI Express X16_2 (Black) bandwith option. NOTE: There are multiple options here. For users that have cards ie. sound card, sata controllers, or any other PCI devices in other PCI slots in the board, if you choose the (4.0.0.0 X4) mode the only devices that will work are the 2 graphics cards plugged into the PCIe slots, any other devices will no longer work. If you have other devices plugged into those slots you will need to choose the the (2.0.1.1 X2) mode. It will reduce overall crossfire performance but your other devices will work in tandem with your 2 graphics cards in crossfire mode.

20160321_105923.jpg

Thanks again to Black_Zion for the help and patience. Hope this helps someone else as I searched high and low and could not find an answer for my issue.

(Be sure to follow the DDU steps and do a clean install as well)

Brian