4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2016 7:10 PM by tocumi

Unable to install latest driver BSOD and artifacts

tocumi

Hello,

I have a gigabyte R9 290 card and unable to get it to function appropriately.  I have RMA it 3 times already.   The manufacturer swears it is brand new and there is nothing wrong with the card.  I think it may be related to the AMD driver (tried latest as well).  it produces artifacts and eventually causes a crash to BSOD after playing games for 5-7 min.

I have brought it to a local pc repair who indicated all other hardware  works fine (SSD, HHD, RAM, MB, 750 power supply, etc.)  I'm running win 10 64 bit.  When the card was tested under heavy load, it crash and produce BSOD after 5 min.  The integrated intel graphics was working find under the same stress test.

Recently it is causing the artifact and crashes to BSOD soon right after installing the latest driver.  I am force to uninstall the driver using DDU in safe mode.  This is the only way I can use windows 10.  I have allowed windows to update all needed updates.  I don't have any other software conflicts.

Any suggestions as to what options I have?  Is this a driver issue that is causing some incompatibility with the card or the card itself?

I included the system info if that helps.

• Re: Unable to install latest driver BSOD and artifacts
          brucer

Try increasing the power limit in Gaming/Global Settings/Global Overdrive..

also take note of your fan speed, if its at 30% turn it up to 80-85%...

tocumi

Keep in mind, i can't even get into windows when I install the driver due to artifacts and crashes to make the adjustments.  The only way to get into windows is to uninstall the drivers and disable win 10 from auto-updating drivers.

brucer

I didnt know the extent your problem was...

Thats the way my first Fury card acted, it was absolute junk... It was a Gigabyte brand, but nonetheless I couldnt even get logged in before it would crash..  I had to rma it, I switched to a different brand and going to a Sapphire Nitro Fury, if I get the same results, which to my understanding many many people are having the same issue, I'll rma it and change to an nvidia card..

AMD knows of this problem yet hasnt done anything about it in the last 7 months..

What I dont understand is how does AMD think these smaller companies will stay in business dealing this junk to the public..

tocumi

Sad to say, I RMA the card 3x already.   I thought about buying the AMD radeon 390 from another vendor hoping that it will resolve the driver/heat issue.  However, if it's the driver issue, I don't think buying another AMD card is going to fix the problem.  I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong.  I took it to two different computer shop and yet the problem still persist after 1 year. 

Incidentally, both PC shops also agree it was related to the AMD driver and suggest I consider getting Nvidia card to avoid the headache.

AMD if you are reading this, please help.