18 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2018 1:26 AM by sereno011

Screen flickers using DisplayPort on Windows 10

schnabautz

Hello,

I bought a brand new PC with an AMD Sapphire R9 390 graphics Card and a iiyama ProLite B2783QSU-B1, 27" Monitor which especially says Freesync support as a feature.

I am using a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro 64bit. I connected the DP cable which came with the monitor and I use the latest Crimson Drivers from the website (also tried older ones).

In Windows i get crazy flickering, white stripes and popping sounds. This happens more frequently when i use my inputs like mouse or keyboard.

When I Switch to DVI it works fine but I can't use Freesync since it is only supported with DisplayPort.

I searched here on the Forums and on Google and found a crazy amount of other people having the same issue but nowhere to a good solution.

I don't want to order an expensive new cable or send back my monitor/graphics card since most sources say it seems to be a driver related problem.

So does anyone have a solution for this or does even AMD acknowledge this problem? Is there a solution planned with future updates?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

Best regards

• Re: Screen flickers using DisplayPort on Windows 10
          amdmatt

It sounds like it could be a low quality DisplayPort cable. We recommend using a DisplayPort 1.2 Certified cable no longer than 3 metres, often the cables bundled with the display are of lower quality. Here is a high quality DP1.2 cable.

More information about DP Certified Cables here.

ccarps

Hello! I just recently (within the past week) picked up the BenQ XL2730Z Monitor. This thing is an absolute dream to have. I unfortunately have the same issue where I can not use the Freesync feature as it makes every game have this brightness flicker and the gameplay is choppy where I would need to enable V-Sync to smoothen everything out.

I just got that cable that you recommended above (Accell 6.6ft) and its still doing the same thing. I have tried multiple drivers, but to no avail

If I disable freesync, everything is fine and the monitor works great. I have tried all 3 ports on my video card and they all give me the same symptom no matter the game I play. It does not do it at the desktop or with any non full screen game (eg. Chrome) I have tried 4 different types of cables with the above Accell being the last one. I tried a different freesync monitor, the Nixeus NX-VUE24A and got the same result. I almost wonder if its an issue with the Sapphire cards maybe? Thoughts?

Windows 10 64-bit

Sapphire R9 390 Nitro

BenQ XL2730Z Monitor

rbrucemtl

Did you realize this link contradicts what you say?  There is no such thing as a DisplayPort 1.2 Certified cable... The link below even says that...  "Despite what you may read, there is no such thing as a DisplayPort 1.1 cable and DisplayPort 1.2 cable.  A standard DisplayPort cable, including the so-call DisplayPort 1.1 cables, will work for any DisplayPort configuration including the new capabilities enabled by DisplayPort 1.2, including 4K and multi-stream capabilities. "

So can we please have a fix to this problem... It is not the cable.

It sounds like it could be a low quality DisplayPort cable. We recommend using a DisplayPort 1.2 Certified cable no longer than 3 metres, often the cables bundled with the display are of lower quality. Here is a high quality DP1.2 cable.

More information about DP Certified Cables here.

ccarps

It has been awhile and just wanted to res this thread to see if there has been any update on this? Flickering still happening on every game at every driver level, Multiple freesync monitors, multiple expensive cables. As stated before, the only thing I can't test is another card, but I do have a feeling it might be a thing with this specific card.

karck

Im having flickering problem when Freesync is on in game mensu for Overwatch and Heroes of the storm, i have just bought Aamsung CF591 and have MSI R390 8gb gaming crossfire setup. FPS limited under 70 to keep it from hitting the 72hz top this monitor supports. Im always at the 69/70 fps and it flickers a ton at the overwatch menu, i also did first time enabling the fullscreen get scanning like bar from up to down it has not showed again after the first time thou. Loading screen and menu background flickerings seems to be constant. Disabling Freesync from AMD drivers stops this.

Im running newest drivers for the monitor and AMD. Waiting for a fix.

alohroh

Have you had any updates with this problem?  Found a a fix?  Im experiencing something very similar.  I have tried three different Display port 1.2 cables, and it doesnt fix anything.  I did try the same cables and monitor on my friends PC on an Nvidia GPU, and it worked JUST FINE with display port.  So I know that its not the monitor or the cables, it has to be something with the gpu.

I have two R9 290X gpus, and I've tried both display ports, swapping them with the other PCI slot, and yet still no change.  The screen will still jitter and flicker on and off.  The likelyhood of it being a hardware problem, meaning BOTH of my gpus are shot, seems unlikely compared to a software or driver issue.  I've run DDU to do a clean install of AMD display drivers, and still have the same problems. I've tried setting it to lower refresh rates like 30 or 60 hz, and tried it with both freesync enabled and disabled, but nothing has made a difference. 

Can somebody from AMD officially address this?  Doing some searching on google shows me that theres quite a few other people out there experiencing the same symptoms when trying to use display port.  Its really frustrating when its the only way you can get Freesync to work.

oborowatabinost

bump amdmatt

I'm having the a similar issue, I have a Sapphire Toxic 290X 4GB GPU. The Display Port caused all kinds of issues, but DVI and HDMI work fine. I've had green/pink lines and flickering and just black screens, when I move the mouse or use the keyboard it exacerbates the issues. So I bought a newer cable.

With the newer cable it runs better, but when loading up a game white flickering dots and a horizontal band of black and white lines will occur every few seconds across the screen and then the screen will go black once the game is loaded and the monitor settings are not accessible during that time. I can alt-tab and everything is all well, but I cannot open the game without it going to a black screen after a second or two. With most games unplugging the cable from the monitor for a few seconds and plugging it back it fixes it, not all games though. I have also found that Borderless Windowed or Windowed often solves the issues entirely. I'm wondering if its the monitor since the monitor settings bug out when the screen goes black, but I don't think that is the case. Here's my monitor.

I made a GPU-Z sensor log pictured below:

Screenshot (4).png

You can see that the GPU clocks up when I alt-tab to the game and then it goes back to idle after alt-tabbing back out. Nothing looks out of place in this log or the Task Manager's CPU, RAM, and Disk sensors...

sereno011

I had a similar issue with a nVidia GPU. I use my TV as a monitor and have always used VGA  via an DVI-I to VGA adapter cable with no issues for years. But the new high end GPU's don't support any analog out anymore so was forced to use a DP to VGA cable and was experiencing a weird grainy and shakiness to the video. I bought several cables and issue was identical with both. Uninstalling the GPU from the device manager or clean installing the drivers had no effect. What I found was I had to kill the power to the PSU for a moment (either unplug or use the switch) after which the video output was perfect again, even through multiple shut-downs and restarts. I was also able to recreate the problem every time I removed and reinstalled the GPU. But as long as power is killed to the system it has always corrected itself.