8 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2016 5:04 PM by brucer

White flickering lines on desktop after boot + black screen after login: XFX R9 290 w/Crimson 16.3 + Windows 10

icypwnage

I recently changed from a Gigabyte GTX 760 to an XFX R9 290 and noticed the issues described above.  I would get random blackscreens and sporadic flickering horizontal lines on the desktop.  I recently changed the computer's case and power supply and it has made a marked difference in the issue.  For an extended period, I was not getting any issues at all.  Recently however, the cold boot blackscreen after login issue has returned once and the flickering lines are back as well.

I changed from running Crimson 16.2 to 16.3 and I even updated the bios on my motherboard from v1.11 to v2.8 (to try and test for motherboard incompatibility) and the issue is still there.  Oddly enough, the card seems to behave itself if any dedicated load such as a game is placed on it shortly after booting, but until something demanding is launched, the screen has those random horizontal flickering white lines.

PC Specs:

• CPU - AMD FX 4300 (waiting for zen to upgrade)
      • RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB 1600
      • GPU - XFX R9 290 reference
      • MB - MSI 970a-G46
      • SSD - Samsung 850 Pro
      • PSU - Corsair RM850x ((previously a Corsair GS700))
      • CASE - Fractal Define S ((previously a Rosewill Thor V2 that had a dent in the bottom*))
      • Monitor - Acer G246HL (1920x1080 via DVI)
      • Peripherals: Logitech C920 camera, Razer Deathadder Chroma, Corsair K70 RGB, Steam Controller

*I primarily changed cases since the dent in the bottom of the Rosewill case seemed to warp the frame, putting stress on the expansion slots.  As such the R9 290 would barely slot into the motherboard and when encouraged to do so, did not appear to make good contact with the top pcie lane on the motherboard.  Also, the GTX 760 appears to have slightly warped being installed in the computer for about 2 years.  In the Define S, the R9 290 slotted into the pcie lane without too much effort, though (it may just be me but) it still appears to not completely push on all of the pcie pins in the top 16x slot.  I am willing to try the lower 16x pcie slot, but unfortunately I have some hard drives attached with right angle connectors to the two sata ports that are in line with that lane, and I do not have any straight sata cables to relocate those connections.

I would have RMA'd the card, but I am not the original owner and I think the warranty expired in November.

I apologize if this is not the correct place for this question.

• Re: White flickering lines on desktop after boot + black screen after login: XFX R9 290 w/Crimson 16.3 + Windows 10
          brucer

you changed drivers, so it set stuff back to default, with new power efficiency settings, namely your power limit setting which I believe is too low for the r9-290 to operate correctly..

just a suggestion, try this

Go into the Radeon settings/ gaming/global settings/global overdrive and increase your power limit to +30 to +35,  +35 is where my r9-290 stopped acting flaky...I think you can even max it out and wont hurt anything... also increase your fan speed while your there.. I used 80% fan speed first, then i decided to use msi afterburner to control the fans...  When you installed new drivers it resets your fans to too sloooow (in my opinion) and I'm thinking it decreases the fan speed too much to cool the card effectively, again just my opinion...

I installed msi afterburner and used it to create a custom fan profile to control the fans.. now at idle Irun at 52c.. highest temps I seen last night was 75c.

• Re: White flickering lines on desktop after boot + black screen after login: XFX R9 290 w/Crimson 16.3 + Windows 10
            spycam

I'm having the exact same issue, and having mixed results with the band-aid fix of raising the power and fan settings. I also notice that when the card is put under visual load it performs better, but that just means it will crash on startup before you get an opportunity to do so.

While the band-aid fix Brucer suggested does seem to help 'somewhat', the drivers or the Radeon program can still randomly crash because of whatever error is causing this, and when they crash, that fix stops working. Same situation as it glitching out on startup of Windows, it can black-screen before Radeon settings are even loaded to increase the power/fan speed...

The only actual way I can actually use my computer with drivers installed and play games at this point, is if I start the computer with no Radeon drivers installed (after a clean uninstall), install them, then adjust the power/fan settings and use it (without a restart). Literally everytime I turn the PC off, I have to uninstall the drivers first so I don't crash on startup.

Not sure what to do at this point!

EDIT: Upon further investigation I've found at least 5 threads with this issue in varying forms, and almost all have a Radeon R9 290 card like myself. Hmm!

brucer

What I've been told in another post on youtube messaging, the card throttles when its not under load.. When it does this the power is taken away from the card to the extent it basically crashes....  If you can, try increasing your power limit setting even further, it wont hurt anything..

You might also try reverting back to older drivers..

I really think the amd engineers are dropping the ball. Whether they are too busy on the newer cards that are suppose to launch in the summer, or they just dont know how to fix the issue..  This issue has been known about for sometime now, to my understanding approximately 7 months and its still not resolved...  I'm also suspicious of them dropping the fan speeds so low with the current default driver settings, kind of makes me think they want to decrease the life of your current gpu (heat kills), if you know what I mean..

kingfish

Where in the world did all this inaccurate advice come from? Obviously no one understands what these settings do....and a third party controller causes more problems than it 'fixes'. And I say this as a 290 owner. The facts > AMD graphics performance

Installing graphics cards >

1. Using steps 1-5 , manually select your graphics drivers HERE and download/save to your desktop. Do not use automatic find and install.

2. Remove old drivers using 'uninstall a program' in the computer control panel****

FOR COMPUTERS WITH INTEL PROCESSORS***

Select AMD Catalyst Install manager and uninstall the entire package. Reboot. Install the new driver suite. Reboot.

FOR COMPUTERS WITH AMD PROCESSORS***

Select AMD Catalyst install manager and uninstall the graphics driver only. Reboot. Install the new driver suite. Reboot.

Screenshot_5 (3).png

Disable all anti-virus/anti-malware/anti-anything before trying to install AMD drivers.

If you do not wish to have raptr on your computer, choose 'Custom' install the new drivers and uncheck the box next to 'Gaming Evolved'.

This is a proven installation method that will work 99% of the time for everybody. However, there is the 1% who will need to use the 'Clean' install method. Use this if you run into issues

Screenshot_3 (2).png

icypwnage

Spent the entire weekend with my Gigabyte GTX 760 installed and have experienced no problems (Yes I used DDU to switch drivers again).  Though its performance is lower than my R9 290, I am going to have to stick with team green for the time being.  I would like to go to an AMD GPU as I like both AMD's business practices and their driver interface better, but the instability of my 290 has forced my hand.

I am going to give the 290 a chance when I update my CPU + MB + RAM later this year with a Zen setup, but until then, I think I have a $200 paperweight.

icypwnage

As an update, I have been running the FX4300 and the GTX 760 in my computer and they have not given me any issues.  I will try the R9 290 again when I get a Zen CPU in October, but it has been sitting in a box for the past two months doing nothing.