13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2016 7:18 PM by techguy

FX-8350 Extremely High Idle Temps (127c)

skynet97

Ok, curious about this. i needed to disassemble my pc to give a full cleaning. Upon reassembly, the speaker give mes a few beeps and the post screen tells me the cpu is at 127c. before shutdown it was idling around 50c, which is what inspired the cleaning. i removed some things out of the case and restructured the internals to get better airflow, especially on the heatsink. i removed the heatsink to give it a thorough cleaning. i used rubbing alcohol, a q-tip, and lint free cloth to clean off the old thermal paste. reapplied arctic silver 5 and reassembled. upon the boot that gave me the high temp, i disassembled again, and ensured proper seating of the heatsink, i noticed one of the screws on the bracket on the mobo was kinda loose. i retightened and the bracket is aparently a bit stripped out. i reordered the bracket and am waiting for arrival.

my main question is, is the chip cooked? due to the not 100% seating of the heatsink? or is something else the problem.

FX-8350

R9 290X

16gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1866

Asus M5A99X EVO

Win 10

C750M Corsair PSU

PS. I have done no overclocking whatsoever.

• Re: FX-8350 Extremely High Idle Temps (127c)
          black_zion

My thinking is a faulty thermal sensor.

skynet97

that sounds unfortunate. could that be something covered by warranty. I purchased the chip new back in april of last year.

black_zion

It's not really something you need to worry about. Set the CPU sensor to Ignored in BIOS and see what happens to see if it really is the sensor. AMD CPUs will start generating errors at around the 65°C mark and will lockup before they take any kind of measurable thermal damage.

skynet97

Ok, like i said in the original post, i have a new bracket on order and it has not arrived yet. i was curious though, if that is the temps being registered by the bios and monitoring software, wont the cpu throttle down to very slow speeds?

techguy

When the CPU reach's 70C it will start throttling the frequency and vcore voltage. If the CPU makes it to 80C then it's likely to shut down completely to prevent serious damage to the CPU. The readout of 127C on boot up would be typical of a lose or improperly mounted heatsink. For now you need to not use the PC or find a means to attach the HSF properly. Your CPU should not be damaged. The temp was real if the heatsink is not properly mounted.

skynet97

Yea, right now that pc in in pieces. luckily i had an old Intel Q6600, Mobo, and Ram that i was holding on to to build an internet/youtube box for my mother. so i built it up to at least not be without for the time being. i have parts on order and should be arriving either tomorrow or saturday. When it was running i was able to get into windows for less than 10 minutes before i shut it down out of fear to recheck the heatsink bracket. and that was when i discovered the loose mounting screw. that was 4 days ago and it will sit like that until the bracket gets here.

techguy

Good decision. Hope the new bracket resolves all high temp issues. It's good practice to clean all fans and heatsinks every 3-6 months depending on the dust level in your PC environment.

BTW, it was the BIOS/mobo that flashed the temp before shutting down your PC. There is a temp register on the processor that is read by the mobo/BIOS. Other temp monitoring software can also read this same temp.

skynet97

Ok, i got the new bracket, mounted the heatsink properly, has good seating. however upon boot and in my monitoring software the cpu is still reading at 127c. the system seems to boot fine (other than the temp warning) and otherwise, stability is ok. the system is not shutting itself down, or seems otherwise unstable.

my ocd is going to drive me up the wall about this, is there any chance you all know of that i could rma the chip, it is less than a year old.

edit-

i am looking into my monitoring software, and looks like the cpu fan speed is not being read correctly. also using a couple other software sets, the cpu is hovering between 30-40c for it's temps. could my issues be less cpu related and more mobo related?

qbtheslayer

127C is usually a faulty sensor.  Nothing on a PC would actually reach that temp before shutting down.

QB

techguy

Yes your issue could be a mobo issue as the BIOS has to read a temp register connected to the CPU. You system would definitely NOT run for more than a couple seconds before shutting down if the temp was headed for 127C as it did when you first cleaned the HSF. Something may have gotten disturbed on the mobo when you were cleaning the CPU HSF. That is why the machine shut down regardless if the 127C was accurate or not. Anything above 80C and your FX model CPU is going to shut down to protect itself from thermal damage.

Make sure that in the BIOS that your CPU fan and perhaps case fans are set to "100%" or "high" or "maximum" - whichever term your BIOS uses to set the fan speeds to 100%.

I'd also contact Asus tech support to see if they have experienced this issue on your mobo or with a specific version BIOS.

skynet97

Thank you all for your replies. It does appear that the mobo is the root. i have been running the most up to date bios since before i got the 8350. and i was not 100% clear, the system has not shut itself down at all. Any shutdows were user initiated. At the time of writing this, the pc has been up and running since yesterday morning with no problems. i have checked core temps in hwmonitor, core temp, and overdrive. The temps registered in the first two were 25c-28c. and overdrive is a bit harder to figure out but the thermal margin is around 38c-41c. i really am not familiar with overdrive. but the system is holding strong, the fan is at 100% and seems to be cooling the cpu well. i have had no crashes, bluescreens, or anything bad so far.

I am figuring i am going to need to replace the mobo soon before a cascade effect happens and it tanks completely. thankfully i start a new job soon and should have the money to do so in a few months.

qbtheslayer

Motherboard should be fine...  it's just a borked sensor.  No cause for alarm.

QB

techguy

You won't necessarily see a cascading effect on the mobo but something obviously changed when it went from 50C before the HSF cleaning and the indicated 127C when you reinstalled the HSF after cleaning. You might be just fine other than the strange temp reading. Something as simple as clearing CMOS might resolve the weird temp reading but I doubt it. That's why I thought Asus tech support might be able to shed some light on the issue.

FWIW, the later version of AOD uses thermal margin but the temp they use to calculate that margin are based on 70C for FX CPUs, which is the point where the CPU is so overheated that it starts to lower the CPU frequency and vcore. According to AMD 61C is the max user FX CPU temp so the version of AOD that shows thermal margin inflates the available margin by as much as 9 C. The reason this is important is because testing by many FX users shows that FX CPUs can start to have errors when the CPUs are in the mid60C range and higher, so 61C is the max recommended user operating core temp. I advised AMD engineering of this when the thermal margin version of AOD was released and they confirmed the wrong temp was used to develop the thermal margin in AOD which is a side effort by some AMD employees and not an official AMD Engineering publication or recommendation - as noted in the fine print in AOD.

Good luck with your PC. At least with the new bracket the HSF should be mounted properly.